Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cracked T7 Meter Assy

Cooperman

Question

Hi, I recently high sided. As I launched over the handle bars I must have caught the tank bag. It then hit my mobile phone sitting in its quad lock cradle, jettisoning the phone into my Meter Assembly. The Meter Assembly is fine however the front cover is cracked. The cover looks as if it can be removed. I've contacted Yamaha parts and it seems I can't buy a cover on its own and need to replace the whole assembly!! The part cost is a little under $900. Would appreciate your thoughts and comment.

Cheers

Edited by AZJW
Moved thread from General Discussion
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cooperman said:

Hi, I recently high sided. As I launched over the handle bars I must have caught the tank bag. It then hit my mobile phone sitting in its quad lock cradle, jettisoning the phone into my Meter Assembly. The Meter Assembly is fine however the front cover is cracked. The cover looks as if it can be removed. I've contacted Yamaha parts and it seems I can't buy a cover on its own and need to replace the whole assembly!! The part cost is a little under $900. Would appreciate your thoughts and comment.

Cheers

Any workshops in the area that can do plastic repair? Or can you do it yourself? You can then use plastikote spray to “renew” it after. 
it will need to be waterproof so will have to be fixed.  Any water in it will kill it. 

12 hours ago, Cooperman said:

Cheers

If you can, please post a picture of the repair needed.  Thanks @Cooperman

Thank you Dougie. 

Landmark, I've attached a couple of pictures.

20220612_111216.jpg

20220612_111219.jpg

• Sad 1

It's not the underlying screen that is cracked, rather the cover.

• Like 1

I scratched mine rather severely and took the unit apart to see how the cover is attached and if there was an easy way to remove it. Well, there is no easy way. But if I was you I'd just take the unit apart, somehow remove / cut the clear cover and glue a thin plastic / plexiglass sheet in its place. A hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the entire unit.

For anyone wondering about fixing scratches on their cover I ended up just using a very fine-grained plexiglass polish for an RV and it worked great! Gonna try that on my new helmet visor that just hit the pavement yesterday. Sigh...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Had this problem as well. But I don't see how to replace plexiglass.

Bought a 2e meter. 

Switched the front part

Hoping to get a new front screen So I could sell my 2e meter.

(Btw milage is saved on the meter. So if you swap you will have a 0 milage meter)

So if you buy 2e hand bike be warned

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cooperman said:

It's not the underlying screen that is cracked, rather the cover.

I see.  So the cover is probably glued into place to prevent any moisture from entering the display.  The cover can be removed but will you be able to get a replacement cover?  I would use a low temperature heat source to soften the glue and a razor knife that's been heated to cut through the glue.  If you can get some kind of replacement screen you're best to use silicone to glue it back on for a good seal and so you can remove it in the future.  I would really like to get my hands on a "ready to discard" display so I can play with it.  Anyone have one laying around?

• Thanks 1

Is it not just some Perspex glued to the inside of the display fascia?

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

And I thought aftermarket parts cost a lot.  Everything on this bike is $1000.

I bought a nice screen protector, I think I'll put it on now!

As for the mod in the vid...  No thanks

Edited by winddown

Hi gents

Do you have suggestions to find 2nd hand METER ASSY? What do you think would it be possible to swap the screen from one to another?

bcb2da5f-965f-47c6-aac5-261bea0f595d.JPG

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, AndreT7 said:

Hi gents

Do you have suggestions to find 2nd hand METER ASSY? What do you think would it be possible to swap the screen from one to another?

bcb2da5f-965f-47c6-aac5-261bea0f595d.JPG

Ouch... You may find one somewhere, however the meter assembly logs the bikes mileage, so if you switch it for used, it will show whatever km's/miles that bike had. Same goes for a new one, your bike will show 0 k's. 

Quickest and easiest bet would be order one from a dealer. First time seeing one this badly bashed, hope you are okay

13 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Ouch... You may find one somewhere, however the meter assembly logs the bikes mileage, so if you switch it for used, it will show whatever km's/miles that bike had. Same goes for a new one, your bike will show 0 k's. 

Quickest and easiest bet would be order one from a dealer. First time seeing one this badly bashed, hope you are okay

Dealer asks 600€ for the whole dash. I would try to swap only the screen element from 2nd hand dashboard. If I cant find one I will just by a new from dealer.

Of course I forgot to comment why this happened. Well, I crashed obviously. Somehow the bolt securing the barkbusters to the handlebar snapped and frame of the barkbusters hit the screen. It happened 2 weeks ago. I havent seen the bike myself. I hit the ground head first and broke 2 vertebras in spine. Already getting better. I believe you all wish me all the best, but thats not the reason I posted. I need to fix the bike.

• Like 2

I bought one from the dealer (Canada) last fall for $400. Did the prices get that out of hand? My first one was completely smashed (along with the headlight and all plastics around the headlight) and I cracked the screen on the second one shortly after install. The screen has to big of a surface area for heavy offroad use. With the small crack I just put a piece of clear gorilla tape over it, it's been hanging in there for more then a year like that.

20210716_170939.jpg

20211003_180433.jpg

Edited by Canadian-t7

1 hour ago, Canadian-t7 said:

I bought one from the dealer (Canada) last fall for $400. Did the prices get that out of hand? 

Thats a significant price gap. It would be interesting to have some prices from EU dealers. I found this site to keep an eye on 

Boonstra Parts is the website for new and used motorcycle parts. We have more than 250.000 motorbike parts in stock.

This is in the States, but it says its available and thats a pretty good price if you could do a border run, EDIT- if I put in Canada for shipping, it will ship here for just over 50 bucks US, might be worth a look

Buy Yamaha BW3-83500-20-00 - METER ASSY. This OEM part is guaranteed by Yamaha's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

METER ASSY

BW3-83500-20-00

by Yamaha

$361.99 23% OFF

$279.36

OR

Ships in 2 to 3 days
Displaying availability for 48060
Add to CartAdd to List

The complete meter assembly in the USA is around $300.00 with free shipping…..not too bad.

C377FF4F-9B57-4476-A6BE-7A70D89D6246.png

Edited by whisperquiet

Hello

Have you got the cracked one still?

May need one for circuit components

On 11/3/2022 at 6:43 PM, Canadian-t7 said:

I bought one from the dealer (Canada) last fall for $400. Did the prices get that out of hand? My first one was completely smashed (along with the headlight and all plastics around the headlight) and I cracked the screen on the second one shortly after install. The screen has to big of a surface area for heavy offroad use. With the small crack I just put a piece of clear gorilla tape over it, it's been hanging in there for more then a year like that.

20210716_170939.jpg

20211003_180433.jpg

On 6/12/2022 at 10:35 PM, Cooperman said:

Thank you Dougie. 

Landmark, I've attached a couple of pictures.

20220612_111216.jpg

20220612_111219.jpg

Hey 

Have you got the old one (if you eventually got a replacement) that you're willing to get rid off?

Looking for a half broke one.  I've got a dodgy ABS button (another thread on it).  Need to replace button, which is simple, but believe that's only part of the problem.  Will add more details later to the post.

How much is the one on eBay and have you got a link?

8 hours ago, Hakman said:

Looking for a half broke one.  I've got a dodgy ABS button (another thread on it).  Need to replace button, which is simple, but believe that's only part of the problem.  Will add more details later to the post.

How much is the one on eBay and have you got a link?

I have a spare speedo circuit board with 0 km. For myself, I only needed the screen and case.

Does anyone have a picture of the circuit board or the interior of the assembly in general?

@Hakman I saw your other post and had money on the button. I guess the dealership isn't helping out with a replacement? An alternative would be to wire up a separate switch, which is something that's been on my bucket list, I just haven't had a place to delve into the assembly itself. Having an ABS button on the handlebar would make life so much easier.

advgoats.com

1 hour ago, AndreT7 said:

I have a spare speedo circuit board with 0 km. For myself, I only needed the screen and case.

Yes that'd be great.  Are you UK based?

6 minutes ago, random1781 said:

Does anyone have a picture of the circuit board or the interior of the assembly in general?

@Hakman I saw your other post and had money on the button. I guess the dealership isn't helping out with a replacement? An alternative would be to wire up a separate switch, which is something that's been on my bucket list, I just haven't had a place to delve into the assembly itself. Having an ABS button on the handlebar would make life so much easier.

Yes, I've got a few pics and video.  Will upload soon. 

Dealer said to replace, £600.  They swapped out a new unit from a 2021 T7 (mine is 2020) and out of warranty.  Other dash worked fine.

I hard wired another switch over existing as I haven't got a replacment switch just yet just to test and it didn't resolve issue.  So wondering if something else is going on.

Going to work lab today where I can get oscilloscope and proper solder station. 

I don't think you'll be able to hijack the circuit board for a custom switch, as you need to push and release the button.  If you just want to move it to the handle bars, sure you could do it.

20230423_123731.jpg

20230423_095139.jpg

20230423_123109.jpg

• Thanks 1