Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Shinko E804/805 review

NeilW

I installed Shinkos on my T7 and they were doing great until the Quad turned into me. I really like them for a mix of street and dirt.  Here is my review. 

shinko-e804-e805-adventure-motorcycle-ti

Shinko E-804 and E-805 Adventure Tires Review: We test these motorcycle tires on- and off-road at varying air pressures to...

• Like 1

Interesting review. I would share your pavement comments, but the rear is horrible for side grip in loose gravel/sand/mud just like the original skorpions. Get it even a little bit sideways, and you either have to stay in the throttle and control the slide with steering, or get out of it right now. Plenty of forward traction though. I found the front reasonably good on gravel until about 50% worn, then I lost all confidence in it. I have about 6000kms on my set now (25% tread left), and they are coming off as soon as I find the time. Replacing them with a set of E-07+'s I happen to have, but will probably go with something like the Anakee Wild next time. I only use these type of tires for road/gravel riding as I run a 908RR/606 combo for serious offroading.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

1 hour ago, Canzvt said:

Interesting review. I would share your pavement comments, but the rear is horrible for side grip in loose gravel/sand/mud just like the original skorpions. Get it even a little bit sideways, and you either have to stay in the throttle and control the slide with steering, or get out of it right now. Plenty of forward traction though. I found the front reasonably good on gravel until about 50% worn, then I lost all confidence in it. I have about 6000kms on my set now (25% tread left), and they are coming off as soon as I find the time. Replacing them with a set of E-07+'s I happen to have, but will probably go with something like the Anakee Wild next time. I only use these type of tires for road/gravel riding as I run a 908RR/606 combo for serious offroading.

Hi Canzvt, Thanks for taking the time to read my review and reply. If that is you in the Avitar photo then it is quite obvious how we have two different experiences with the same tires. Stands to reason that if you are power sliding through the forests you have a different view of these tires. "Traveling" down the forest roads at 40-48km  aired down to 29psi front and back, they worked for me, at my age, confidence and comfort levels. Your mileage may vary 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Hi Canzvt, Thanks for taking the time to read my review and reply. If that is you in the Avitar photo then it is quite obvious how we have two different experiences with the same tires. Stands to reason that if you are power sliding through the forests you have a different view of these tires. "Traveling" down the forest roads at 40-48km  aired down to 29psi front and back, they worked for me, at my age, confidence and comfort levels. Your mileage may vary 🙂

I WISH that was me in the Avatar. Simon Crafar on a priceless Britten (Ser #4) at Pukakohe, NZ.

I have been riding a long time, and am quite aggressive at time, but I respect and appreciate all riders, and their abilities, hence I liked your review, just didn't wholeheartedly agree as my experiences were different, hence I provided a different perspective. Keep riding and enjoying!

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

36 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

I WISH that was me in the Avatar. Simon Crafar on a priceless Britten (Ser #4) at Pukakohe, NZ.

I have been riding a long time, and am quite aggressive at time, but I respect and appreciate all riders, and their abilities, hence I liked your review, just didn't wholeheartedly agree as my experiences were different, hence I provided a different perspective. Keep riding and enjoying!

I agree with your disagreeing. Everyone rides their T7 differently . I was at the premier of the Wyoming BDR movie. A packed house of riders interested in adventure riding. I was taken by surprise at the reaction of about 30% of the audience when the riders on the screen bobbled a bit or rode over rocky terrain etc and they gasped.  Things that I wouldn't even stop singing along with my tunes or chatting with my riding partners to ride over. And then there were the "heck no" outbursts at simple stuff.  When in a group I ride with the slowest rider to support them, if I am the slowest rider, then the faster folk get to wait for me at the next intersection...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just installed a Shinko E804 on the front last week, chose the tyre for the following reasons

- cheap as chips

- has a fair good reputation for tarmac grip even in the wet

- wanted something with a lot more bite for gravel & off road but did not want to go full fledge knobbies

- quiet on the road compared to other knobbie type tyres

Finally got to test them out last morning with a mix of gravel (hard compact to big deep gravel) and tarmac and I am quite happy with the way they handle.

I takes some getting used to on both gravel & tarmac, but once I got the hang of it on gravel I was riding into corners faster and with more confidence to make the bike turn irrespective of the kind of gravel under me. 

On tarmac, was being meek with cornering at first and then started going faster and harder. The tyre holds well upto a point and then starts complaining if you start going faster and deeper into the corner. So guess I did find the limits pretty quick, but that is a good thing since it meant my brain was readjusting itself to the tyre pretty quick. 

They are not noisy on tarmac nor send vibrations up the bike either, so that is a brilliant win win. No wet tarmac riding chances yesterday, but I just have a feeling they won't be as bad as I think they will be.

The other option in a similar price range was the TKC 80, but then those are known to be loud and not as cooperative on the tarmac if you like to ride really fast. Plus iI think the Shinko will last a little longer than the TKC's. 

Of course nothing will last as long as the OEM Pirelli front with finally saw its last breath at about 21800 kms (approx 60% of which was gravel). I assume 10-12k is a fairly reasonable life span for these ones.

• Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |