Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Stock tire mileage?

Josh_

Hey guys how many miles are you getting out of your Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs?  I've got 1,600 miles on mine and the back tire looks like I might get another 1,600 out of it.  I really like these tires but I was hoping to get 5000ish miles out of them and right now I don't see that happening.

Also when you guys replace the rear do you replace them in sets or do you wait until the front is worn out before replacing?

Thanks guys!

A lot of times tyre manufacturers make a special OEM tyre that lasts just a fraction from the normal version.
Honda had that with the NC700, bike of my friends wife lasted just a quarter of the same tyre bought at the dealer.
Don't know if that's the case here and i don't understand why tyre manufacturers do that just to win the bid because if i didn't knew a tyre and it lasted this little i would never buy the same myself.

• Like 1

I put 13.000 km on the stock tyres sofar. Still got 4 mm on front and rear. I take these on a ~3500 km trip next weeks. Hope they last till then.

• Like 1

12000km on the rear, a puncture mean't I didn't get another 1000km. 15500km out of the rear

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Josh_ You're fairly close on your assumption that you should get 3200 + miles out of your oem Pirellies.  As everyone's riding style and terrain differs, you might get your desired 5K or you might not.  😉 I changed mine out at 3,200 miles as I didn't care for the vague feeling front tire in off road conditions,  but for pavement they probably would've lasted close to the 5K mark.  Personally,  I normally change out both front & rear simultaneously,  but have had some exceptions where I got a really soft rear tire that I hammered into oblivion well before the front was ready to change out. Lots of good choices out there for replacements, mainly depends on your street to dirt ratio as to what will suit your needs,

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 6/14/2022 at 12:07 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

A lot of times tyre manufacturers make a special OEM tyre that lasts just a fraction from the normal version.
Honda had that with the NC700, bike of my friends wife lasted just a quarter of the same tyre bought at the dealer.
Don't know if that's the case here and i don't understand why tyre manufacturers do that just to win the bid because if i didn't knew a tyre and it lasted this little i would never buy the same myself.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:22 PM, BikeBrother said:

I put 13.000 km on the stock tyres sofar. Still got 4 mm on front and rear. I take these on a ~3500 km trip next weeks. Hope they last till then.

On 6/14/2022 at 1:04 PM, electric_monk said:

12000km on the rear, a puncture mean't I didn't get another 1000km. 15500km out of the rear

On 6/14/2022 at 2:04 PM, AZJW said:

@Josh_ You're fairly close on your assumption that you should get 3200 + miles out of your oem Pirellies.  As everyone's riding style and terrain differs, you might get your desired 5K or you might not.  😉 I changed mine out at 3,200 miles as I didn't care for the vague feeling front tire in off road conditions,  but for pavement they probably would've lasted close to the 5K mark.  Personally,  I normally change out both front & rear simultaneously,  but have had some exceptions where I got a really soft rear tire that I hammered into oblivion well before the front was ready to change out. Lots of good choices out there for replacements, mainly depends on your street to dirt ratio as to what will suit your needs,

Thanks for the replies guys!