Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Northern Half of the MA BDR

TenereTragic700

Northern Half of the Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route 13/14/15 Jun 2022

I did the southern half of the MA BDR in Jun 2021 – that was a ton of fun, noting that I had done some of those same trails on the Shenandoah 500 (Washington Area Trail Riders annual dual sport and ADV weekend event).

The roads were good, but not challenging.  You could have driven a Honda Civic up all of the below with the exception of three small sections.  Pennsylvania forest service keeps those roads in tip top shape.   It would be a different story in the wet.

I rushed the end to beat supposed weather and that was annoying, but happy to get out.

image.png.f238140843b16e1621b0e2d6e04fa3a9.png

I had a couple of days to do this remainder of the DBR.  The northern half of MA4, then MA5, 6, 7, 8 & 9.

Mon 13 Jun:  295 miles / 7 hours MA4 (half) and MA5:

From home vicinity Washington DC, out to NW of Winchester to Joined MA4 at Slansville WV.  All paved to Hancock MD.  At Hancock MD took the “Section 4 ALT: Antietam Harpers Ferry Bypass” which is 60 miles.  Easy country roads.  That pops out onto MA5 (Section 5) near Highfield-Cascade MD

MA5 Highfield-Cascade MD to Mount Holly Springs PA - easy roads with the last 2 hours in mixed gravel roads – very good quality forestry roads. 

Saw a bear on the trail which is for a first for me.  I have seen two bears previously while on the dirt bike, but both had recently been shot.

Speaking of, loaded for bear:

image.png.3e27294dcf6ce053680361cf7423b998.png

I have upped the rear spring to 85nm - needs to go up to 90nm.  With my fat arse on it, that spring is working hard.

image.png.5b2011768c18443daf26f8308cc35a59.png

I had ridden a lot of these roads as well, so nice countryside but that’s about it.

Overnighted in a hotel south of Carlisle PA – had planned to camp but there was a storm rolling through (getting soft in old age).

Tue 14 Jun:  258 miles 9 hours, MA6, MA7 and first portion MA8:

It rained overnight and a wet start so the gravel patches on MA6 and MA7 were greasy.  A late start waiting for the last rain to pass through, 10:00am.  Lots of very well maintained forest roads.  Lots of gravel.  Stopped and spoke to a rider heading South on what looked like a KTM 500 EXC towing a one wheel trailer – forgot to get a photo.  Planned hotel tonight Lock Haven PA (had work to do!).

The two alternate pieces in MA7 made the ride a bit more challenging (Section 7 ALT: McVeytown to Hartleton and ection 7 ALT: Flat Hollow).

The forecast in the area was calling for severe weather the next evening and into Thursday.  They were calling for a derecho – having been through one of those in June 2012 I was not interested in being stuck in that, so changed my plans a bit to finish up the next day and get home – turns out the weather issues were a non-event – in my area anyway.

image.png.9872f8cecf035910e53f4a4e509fec95.png

image.png.0203dce68d9cec865e2dcd72fc3107eb.png

image.png.ac0230c974493af2258c1ac6195eaed7.png

image.png.edcb3dfdc3fa4691cbc2c6ddd5f329aa.png

About 2,000 miles on that sucker – has maybe 500 more in it?

image.png.b7647aa3e564a4105bf95d402dc2b674.png

Wed 15 Jun:  369 miles (total of 921 for the three days) - MA8 and part of MA9 - 10 hour day

Terrific roads – a lot of fun. 

I left the route about half way up MA9 vicinity Rexford PA – needed to start the ride home.

About 250 of these miles were slabbing it back home – not fun!

Colton State Forest - nice in there:

image.png.bccf0ba3ad930c32709ace787ce0f067.png

• Like 4

Nice! Thanks for posting...

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Looks like a fun ride - too bad you got rushed at the end. 

I should have my T7 offroad ready in a couple of weeks. We'll have to do some rides when we can coordinate schedules. 

Edited by Hollybrook

seeing the photo's makes me want to go there.

even tough i know it wont be soon as its a big trip from NLD

4 hours ago, TenereTragic700 said:

Northern Half of the Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route 13/14/15 Jun 2022

I did the southern half of the MA BDR in Jun 2021 – that was a ton of fun, noting that I had done some of those same trails on the Shenandoah 500 (Washington Area Trail Riders annual dual sport and ADV weekend event).

The roads were good, but not challenging.  You could have driven a Honda Civic up all of the below with the exception of three small sections.  Pennsylvania forest service keeps those roads in tip top shape.   It would be a different story in the wet.

I rushed the end to beat supposed weather and that was annoying, but happy to get out.

image.png.f238140843b16e1621b0e2d6e04fa3a9.png

I had a couple of days to do this remainder of the DBR.  The northern half of MA4, then MA5, 6, 7, 8 & 9.

Mon 13 Jun:  295 miles / 7 hours MA4 (half) and MA5:

From home vicinity Washington DC, out to NW of Winchester to Joined MA4 at Slansville WV.  All paved to Hancock MD.  At Hancock MD took the “Section 4 ALT: Antietam Harpers Ferry Bypass” which is 60 miles.  Easy country roads.  That pops out onto MA5 (Section 5) near Highfield-Cascade MD

MA5 Highfield-Cascade MD to Mount Holly Springs PA - easy roads with the last 2 hours in mixed gravel roads – very good quality forestry roads. 

Saw a bear on the trail which is for a first for me.  I have seen two bears previously while on the dirt bike, but both had recently been shot.

Speaking of, loaded for bear:

image.png.3e27294dcf6ce053680361cf7423b998.png

I have upped the rear spring to 85nm - needs to go up to 90nm.  With my fat arse on it, that spring is working hard.

image.png.5b2011768c18443daf26f8308cc35a59.png

I had ridden a lot of these roads as well, so nice countryside but that’s about it.

Overnighted in a hotel south of Carlisle PA – had planned to camp but there was a storm rolling through (getting soft in old age).

Tue 14 Jun:  258 miles 9 hours, MA6, MA7 and first portion MA8:

It rained overnight and a wet start so the gravel patches on MA6 and MA7 were greasy.  A late start waiting for the last rain to pass through, 10:00am.  Lots of very well maintained forest roads.  Lots of gravel.  Stopped and spoke to a rider heading South on what looked like a KTM 500 EXC towing a one wheel trailer – forgot to get a photo.  Planned hotel tonight Lock Haven PA (had work to do!).

The two alternate pieces in MA7 made the ride a bit more challenging (Section 7 ALT: McVeytown to Hartleton and ection 7 ALT: Flat Hollow).

The forecast in the area was calling for severe weather the next evening and into Thursday.  They were calling for a derecho – having been through one of those in June 2012 I was not interested in being stuck in that, so changed my plans a bit to finish up the next day and get home – turns out the weather issues were a non-event – in my area anyway.

image.png.9872f8cecf035910e53f4a4e509fec95.png

image.png.0203dce68d9cec865e2dcd72fc3107eb.png

image.png.ac0230c974493af2258c1ac6195eaed7.png

image.png.edcb3dfdc3fa4691cbc2c6ddd5f329aa.png

About 2,000 miles on that sucker – has maybe 500 more in it?

image.png.b7647aa3e564a4105bf95d402dc2b674.png

Wed 15 Jun:  369 miles (total of 921 for the three days) - MA8 and part of MA9 - 10 hour day

Terrific roads – a lot of fun. 

I left the route about half way up MA9 vicinity Rexford PA – needed to start the ride home.

About 250 of these miles were slabbing it back home – not fun!

Colton State Forest - nice in there:

image.png.bccf0ba3ad930c32709ace787ce0f067.png

Wow! Thanks for that ride report.  Very good pics and story to go with it.  Thanks for taking us along on your ride.  We appreciate it @TenereTragic700

• Like 1

Nice ride report! A little something to consider next time you're up that way:

Near the northern end of section 5 while approaching Mt. Holly Springs on Ridge Road, the MABDR has you turn left onto Cold Springs Rd and descend the ridge via that smooth dirt road. For anyone wanting a more challenging and fun alternative, instead of turning left just stay straight while going north on Ridge Road and follow its descent to PA Rt. 34 where you'll then turn left (north) to the Sheetz store/gas station in about two miles which is the end point of section 5.

The Ridge Road descent has quite a few rocks and ruts, along the lines of the rocky descent to Poe Paddy State Park in a later section (I think that's now been designated an expert section?). I don't live too far from this area, and often ride that section of Ridge Road in both directions on both the T7 and the GS. I've always wondered why the MABDR designers didn't include this section of Ridge Road instead of Cold Springs Road. Beware of those rocks and your speed there though, as this northern piece of Ridge Road is where my T7's front rim got an unplanned modification one day when I was out playing:

20210721_100854.jpg.9f6b3c58a296aad9363b3537d35c7450.jpg    

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 2