Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bell Adventure MIPS helmet review

NeilW

I decided to upgrade my brain bucket technology with MIPS. The Bell MX-9 Adventure had all the features I was looking for. I really like it. Just sharing my experience with you all. Here is my review. 

bell-mx-9-adventure-dlx-review-motorcycl

Bell MX-9 Adventure DLX MIPS Motorcycle Helmet Review: The ADV-ready helmet has many useful features for street and...

comments always welcome. 

• Like 2

I have the MX-9 Adventure MIPS and generally like it, but there are a couple of things that were a disappointment to me. 

First of all, the peak really doesn't do anything other than protect the face shield.  Even using the forward position for the top mount, it is barely visible from inside the helmet.  This means that you cannot use it like a visor to protect your goggles from branches or rocks thrown up by a bike in front of you.  I am thinking about buying another peak and cutting it up to make an extension to the existing one.

Secondly, if you leave the peak on when on the freeway, it rattles loudly enough to be annoying, even when wearing ear plugs.

Other than these two issues, I find it a comfortable and cost effective helmet for on/off road use.  For street riding, I like my Shoei RF-1400 a lot better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes it was cheap, that's why I bought it, but it's as noisy as compared to my Bell street helmet.  I have been told all offroad helmets are noisy, Why?  I like the bit on top, it keeps the sun out of my eyes, mostly.  It's rare I find a helmet I'm happy with I must admit.  Perhaps next time I'll spend more bucks, but to spend au$800 on an ice cream bucket lined with styrafoam make me choke.

• 6 months later...

For the longest time it was my only helmet on my WR250R and I absolutely loved every moment I put it on. Then I got a bigger bike and started fiddling with windscreen buffeting and found it to be a terrible helmet when the windscreen was too low or too high. So went to road helmets for a couple of years!

Been a couple of weeks since I pulled it out of hibernation, gave it a good clean up and been using it on the T7 and I remember why I loved it so much. 

Sure, it isn't a quiet helmet, but I seem to have made it slightly better by creating a chin curtain out of old t-shirt. On a windy day, doesn't matter what all you throw onto it, it will be noisy az!

Will continue using it until the day its time to give it up or I save up enough to get the likes of an Arai XD-4 or Shoei Hornet or the father of them all the Klim Krios 😄

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

3 hours ago, motonap said:

For the longest time it was my only helmet on my WR250R and I absolutely loved every moment I put it on. Then I got a bigger bike and started fiddling with windscreen buffeting and found it to be a terrible helmet when the windscreen was too low or too high. So went to road helmets for a couple of years!

Been a couple of weeks since I pulled it out of hibernation, gave it a good clean up and been using it on the T7 and I remember why I loved it so much. 

Sure, it isn't a quiet helmet, but I seem to have made it slightly better by creating a chin curtain out of old t-shirt. On a windy day, doesn't matter what all you throw onto it, it will be noisy az!

Will continue using it until the day its time to give it up or I save up enough to get the likes of an Arai XD-4 or Shoei Hornet or the father of them all the Klim Krios 😄

@motonapi am glad you posted the above. It reminded me to share that my peak started rattling. I added a piece of double stick foam and no more rattling.   Also I have the Klim Krios. Great helmet. But fits a bit different. I wear a medium in the Bell MIPS and the Klim medium I couldn’t get over my ears. Too narrow. Had to go with the large. Great helmet, to my mind it does not create noise so standing at 70mph and sitting at 70mph  mine sounds the same. I can hear the tires with my the helmet in the wind. 

1E48AB96-5191-4B6E-9293-53449DC5DC35.jpeg

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 2

I purchased this helmet just for riding the T7 on/off road.  It is a HEAVY lid, the visor doesn't really block the sun (almost as if the adjustment hole was put an inch too far forward), the clear visor sucks as it distorts things when you glance down, the visor is flimsy.

I do like the wide-open vision area, it accommodates off road goggles, and it's comfortable for me.  The noise doesn't bother me (if there is any) because I always ride with ear plugs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine several months now and my opinion hasn't changed.  It's a solid helmet, does the job and I have no issues with the thing, though I too notice that distortion in the visor when looking down?  Personally I like to ride with them up, using slightly tinted safety glasses, but the Bugs are full on this time of year and they are BIG.  Plus Winter is coming.

I came from an Acerbis Adventure helmet which was substantially heavier, noisier and tossed your head around like mad in the wind.

This helmet isn’t perfect, but it’s a great helmet reflected by its price.

On 2/14/2023 at 4:40 AM, motonap said:

Just for info, the tour x4 (xd) is also noisy, heavy, and in wind, pulls your head about like a ninja is trying to kill you from behind in a Shet old film. Love arai but I’ll go back to sports versions in future for motorway speeds. Quality is fantastic as always though. Mistakenly wore it to a hearing test last year. Whoops. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Just for info, the tour x4 (xd) is also noisy, heavy, and in wind, pulls your head about like a ninja is trying to kill you from behind in a Shet old film. Love arai but I’ll go back to sports versions in future for motorway speeds. Quality is fantastic as always though. Mistakenly wore it to a hearing test last year. Whoops. 

Thanks for the feedback!! I know two people who have them and love them, but could be that their windscreen setups are perfectly suited for them.

Sometimes sports helmets are perfect for the open roads. I have a Shoei Air GT that I use as well and it is bliss in comparision to anything else I have used.

• Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• 4 months later...

I've had this helmet a few years, though not used much. I wear a size Large. My one beef is it's tight for my Sena speakers, they need a lot of adjustment not to be too tight on the ears.

Here's my tech tip for the visor: Dremel out the top screw for further adjustment, or drill  out an extra hole and you can adjust the visor down further to block the sun. I always keep mine in the down position now. Also, there are two screw holes! You can see the rubber plug in one of my pics.

PXL_20230630_134944974.jpg

PXL_20230630_135023046.jpg

• Like 1