Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What happens at the first service?

Jellebo

Question

Hi all,

I just picked up my bike 1200km south of where I live, and it's time for first service. Problem is that there's only Yamaha scootershops in my city, and there's no way I'll let those people touch the T7, so I want to do the service myself.
Does anyone know exactly what they do other than change oil? And should the oil filter be changed as well?
Cheers!

Thomas

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

Dont you have the manual?

Just oil and oilfilter and check all bolts. You are already missing one....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BikeBrother said:

As @BikeBrother says, manual is available to download. 👍

some things thousands of miles later on would need special tools but most is diy friendly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Cheers, bikebrother. Yes, I have the manual, but I didn't see anything about what Yamaha does on the first service. I'm comfortable working on bikes, so it's no problem. I was gonna do a free oil change, and then do the rest myself

• Like 1

Replace the oil and filter using a good quality synthetic product.

Check the drive chain slack and adjust if necessary.

Check the tires air pressure and adjust if necessary.

Check all fasteners for loosening and tighten to spec where required.

Visually inspect the coolant level and brake fluid levels and adjust if necessary.

Check all running lights for proper operation and repair if needed.

Take a look and also listen for any abnormalities all over the bike.

Change or add any accessory you so desire, then worry about how much you spent later on.

Then take it for a test ride, take a picture of said ride and post it on this forum.

Done!

• Like 3

I had the first service done at a dealer then the rest in my garage. 

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:17 PM, Landshark said:

Replace the oil and filter using a good quality synthetic product.

Check the drive chain slack and adjust if necessary.

Check the tires air pressure and adjust if necessary.

Check all fasteners for loosening and tighten to spec where required.

Visually inspect the coolant level and brake fluid levels and adjust if necessary.

Check all running lights for proper operation and repair if needed.

Take a look and also listen for any abnormalities all over the bike.

Change or add any accessory you so desire, then worry about how much you spent later on.

Then take it for a test ride, take a picture of said ride and post it on this forum.

Done!

Cheers, landshark! I'll let them change the oil and filter, and do the rest myself

• Like 2

How does this affect the manufacturers warranty by doing it yourself?  Obviously this wipes out any ‘full service history’ even though the mechanic may be more capable than the junior at the dealership.

• Like 1

I ‘thought’ I read if you could show you’d used genuine Yamaha parts it was valid 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeighA said:

How does this affect the manufacturers warranty by doing it yourself?  Obviously this wipes out any ‘full service history’ even though the mechanic may be more capable than the junior at the dealership.

Yes, good point. I've been thinking about this, but I have no choice, as the nearest dealership that can handle large capacity bike is 1400km away 😞 I may go there for the valve check ... but then again, I may just do it myself, to make sure it's done properly

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lewie said:

I ‘thought’ I read if you could show you’d used genuine Yamaha parts it was valid 

The dealership pointed me to a garage here in town, that changed the oil and filter today. I have no idea if they can mark it as a proper service?

Edited by Jellebo

2 hours ago, LeighA said:

There are other postings on this site about the validation of warranty and the first service.  Just keep the bill of sale for the oil and filter to show you have completed it on your own.  Also keep track of your mileage when completing the service at home.  Yamaha cannot deny any warranty claim for doing the first service yourself.  

When I think about it, I have never met anyone who has had an issue because of an oil change or lack there of.  Although there is probably a story or two out there.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Warranty terms may vary by country, but the consensus as noted above is just keep good records and your receipts. As long as the proper grade of oil and filter are used, I've never heard of anyone being penalized for doing their own oil changes, unless they did something dumb like running the bike without oil for a time or some other huge error. Lots of information in the Tech Tips section such as reducing the oil drain plug torque to about half the oem listed torque.   By following the recommended maintenance in the owners manual, you'll be fine.

The only requirement to use genuine Yamaha Yamalube oil is to maintain the additional engine warranty offered if you use their oil exclusively.  

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1435-yamalube-warranty-coverage-sign-up-right-away/#comment-15243

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

What happens at the first service?

Your wallet gets lighter if you have the dealer complete the first service.  As noted above, change the oil and filter ….. then, check over the items noted in the owner’s manual under the service section.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, AZJW said:

Warranty terms may vary by country, but the consensus as noted above is just keep good records and your receipts. As long as the proper grade of oil and filter are used, I've never heard of anyone being penalized for doing their own oil changes, unless they did something dumb like running the bike without oil for a time or some other huge error. Lots of information in the Tech Tips section such as reducing the oil drain plug torque to about half the oem listed torque.   By following the recommended maintenance in the owners manual, you'll be fine.

The only requirement to use genuine Yamaha Yamalube oil is to maintain the additional engine warranty offered if you use their oil exclusively.  

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1435-yamalube-warranty-coverage-sign-up-right-away/#comment-15243

The dealership sent me to a workshop that only had Ipone katana oil, so I don't think they'll worry about the oil type. Well, this is Vietnam, so who knows. They probably don't even know what the warranty program entails 😞

• Confused 2