Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How to apply ACF50 on T7!

Aleksandar13

Start by cleaning the bike as good as you can, I'm not that good at this but I try my best šŸ˜‚

After cleaning and wiping the water of (some people use a a motorcycle dryer), I just give it a good wipe with microfiber cloth.Ā 

This is how I have done it and it's the first time but it seems to work OK.Ā 

Faze 1 wrap bin bags around the braking discs and calipers.Ā 

Ā 

IMG_20191207_101826.jpg

IMG_20191207_101832__01.jpg

IMG_20191207_101844__01.jpg

Edited by Aleksandar13
  • Like 2

Faze 2 more bin bags this time a different colour to keep things interesting for the readers. šŸ¤”šŸ˜

Also note that I've used 3 bags per wheel.Ā 

IMG_20191207_102646.jpg

IMG_20191207_102636.jpg

• Like 3

Faze 3 use small bags for the grips mirror and hand guards and foot peg left and right including the gear lever.Ā 

Faze 4 : take the seat out, front and back and put a side, remove two black panels with small ratchet and set a side ( when removing these two panels be extra careful as there is on mushroom clip that can break)Ā  ask me how I know šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‘šŸ™„šŸ¤£

Faze 5 : Boil 1l of water and place into a bowl, put the acf50 demister inside for 10 min (this will create a better spray pattern?)

Faze 6 : Apply the ACF 50 all over the bike... I have applied a thicker coat on aluminium and mild steel parts and less on plastic as this does not rust.

Leave to settle for 10 15 min, and then use a microfiber cloth to wipe it down.Ā 

Put back the panels and the seat, remove the plastic bags and use the cloth to touch up the calipers and bolts that you think you have missed.Ā 

Don't move the bike to much with the bags around wheels this will cause some friction šŸ¤£

This is a guide and hope that it will help other people. I'm not responsible for any problems you might encounter. More pictures to follow if I will allowed to upload.Ā 

AleksĀ 

• Like 5

• Moderators

@Aleksandar13Ā is winning the ā€˜protect your investmentā€™ award for sure. How often do you plan on applying this product?Ā Thanks for the guide pal.Ā 

• Like 3

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

1 hour ago, tenerecanada said:

@Aleksandar13Ā is winning the ā€˜protect your investmentā€™ award for sure. How often do you plan on applying this product?Ā Thanks for the guide pal.Ā 

šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€ I think I will do it once every 4 months maybe more often I have not decided yet..Ā 

My last bike has had rust issues but that was a bmw and it is something normal with that type of brand.Ā 

Owned a suzuki and done 2 winters and never had one issue with rust and I didn't use acf.Ā 

AleksĀ 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€ I think I will do it once every 4 months maybe more often I have not decided yet..Ā 

My last bike has had rust issues but that was a bmw and it is something normal with that type of brand.Ā 

Owned a suzuki and done 2 winters and never had one issue with rust and I didn't use acf.Ā 

AleksĀ 

Hi Aleksandar,

Ā 

how is the ACF-50 workout out ?

• Like 1

Just now, ADVUSA said:

Hi Aleksandar,

Ā 

how is the ACF-50 workout out ?

Hi,Ā 

Ā 

Works brilliant to be honest there is no sign of rust and I am happy with the results, I have changed the rims and the old spokes were affected by corrosion but I haven't used acf on the spokes.Ā 

Hope this helps.Ā 

AleksĀ 

• Like 2

Detailed work, congratulations man. I only use it on spokes with small sponge piece. Takes 15-20 minutes and I do it after every wash.Ā 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Takata said:

Detailed work, congratulations man. I only use it on spokes with small sponge piece. Takes 15-20 minutes and I do it after every wash.Ā 

I would not have the patience to do that every time I wash the bike... I'll do another proper run of acf before the winter comes in and that's including spokes but after that I'll wash the bike 5 6 times and then apply again.Ā 

I plan on getting a winter bike for lanes and keep the SM T700 off the salty roads when I can.Ā 

AleksĀ 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I would not have the patience to do that every time I wash the bike... I'll do another proper run of acf before the winter comes in and that's including spokes but after that I'll wash the bike 5 6 times and then apply again.Ā 

I plan on getting a winter bike for lanes and keep the SM T700 off the salty roads when I can.Ā 

AleksĀ 

First time it was kind of chinese torture but then I became really fast and accurate. Now doing it nicely and patiently in 15 minutes. Soon I will remove the tank and cover the underneath. Did you check your fuel tank?Ā 

• Like 1

Just now, Takata said:

First time it was kind of chinese torture but then I became really fast and accurate. Now doing it nicely and patiently in 15 minutes. Soon I will remove the tank and cover the underneath. Did you check your fuel tank?Ā 

I did not remove the tank but I've heard others have had small rust issues there...might have to remove when I get to install rapid bike evo or quickshifter... Once out of it is rusty I'll clean and re spray maybe..

How about you?Ā 

Attached is a picture someone shared way back of the tank corrosion...

Ā 

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 3.07.40 PM.png

38 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I did not remove the tank but I've heard others have had small rust issues there...might have to remove when I get to install rapid bike evo or quickshifter... Once out of it is rusty I'll clean and re spray maybe..

How about you?Ā 

I haven't removed yet. Will do in these coming weekdays. My TĆ©nĆ©rĆ© is the one of first in the Netherlands (August 19), so I would expect some rust. Btw note that ACF50 cleans the rust a little bit. My front spkes had a little corrosion started last year. I started applying acf50 and a few months later most of the corrosion was gone. Same goes for the visible part of the front tank.Ā 

12 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

Attached is a picture someone shared way back of the tank corrosion...

Ā 

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 3.07.40 PM.png

Thanks, good example. Mine was not this bad thankfully.Ā 

• Like 1

The only areas to watch for corrosion that I've read or heard of are: exhaust, tank, spokes, and the brake disk inner portion and bolts.

Ā 

Below the person had 10,000 km and reported rode in winter with salt and been around sea salt.

Ā 

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 3.13.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 3.06.19 PM.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

The only areas to watch for corrosion that I've read or heard of are: exhaust, tank, spokes, and the brake disk inner portion and bolts.

Ā 

Below the person had 10,000 km and reported rode in winter with salt and been around sea salt.

Ā 

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 3.13.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 3.06.19 PM.png

That's not too bad... Exhaust is now changed to stainless from car back... Spokes are stainless on mine... Just need to be careful with the tank šŸ‘ŒšŸ‘

• 6 months later...

ACF works a lot better (warm) from a paint gun if you have a compressor. I'm yet to perchase a T7, planning to buy in the spring but having read quite a bit about corroding steel spokes, I'd like to ACFĀ those too and am thinking of using Acerbis X-Tyre covers to keep the ACF off the tyres with a similar method to the OP for the rotors and callipers. I'd probably give the tyres a wash-off in any case post spray, just to be on the safe side.

• Like 2

I use one of these,Ā ERBAUER ERB561SRG 700W ELECTRIC HVLP SPRAY GUN 220-240V, works very well and you donā€™t waste the ACF50. Cost about Ā£40.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

15E639CA-943A-4643-8E13-08452AAB0770.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FredBasset said:

I use one of these,Ā ERBAUER ERB561SRG 700W ELECTRIC HVLP SPRAY GUN 220-240V, works very well and you donā€™t waste the ACF50. Cost about Ā£40.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

15E639CA-943A-4643-8E13-08452AAB0770.jpeg

Awesome. Got one of those in the garage when I spray painted 33 fence panels in the first lockdown šŸ™„.

Ā 

Great idea and might dig it out for something much more interesting and useful!!!

Ā 

Rich

• Like 1

I assume ACF50 leaves a protective film on the surface? Does that attract dust and dirt? I ride more than half the time on gravel roads, and am afraid this stuff would capture the dust. Thoughts?

Not gonna lie.Ā  i had toĀ lookĀ up ACF50.

Edited by ride2little

3 hours ago, BLZ2DWL said:

I assume ACF50 leaves a protective film on the surface? Does that attract dust and dirt? I ride more than half the time on gravel roads, and am afraid this stuff would capture the dust. Thoughts?

It did for me! Really bad too. Ā 
Ā 

When I raced enduros I used to applyĀ silicone Spray to all the bikes pivot areas. Itā€™s short lived and washes off so I had to apply before every race. BUT, it didnā€™t attract dust. I tried a little acf50 on just a few spots on my T7Ā and it attracted a thick mass of dust.Ā 

• Like 1

Ā 

Ā