Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

acerbis skid plate for euro5 model?

delirium

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I bought the Euro5 model today.

It feels ok, although not as solid as an aluminum skid.

But it sure has its advantages, like light weight and quite good coverage especially on the sides while being quite narrow!

See some crappy pics here:

20220715_161215.jpg.1c8b70ddb1af3fc52b48232b0e7b5972.jpg

20220715_161227.jpg.690073d7b80d630785da939abfc9c93a.jpg

20220715_161235.jpg.7824dbe80921a3e4a22e2f4185168f63.jpg

20220715_161341.jpg.a150942d892945f02c2b31694ec84b79.jpg

Unfortunately, it does NOT fit my center stand (Hepco & Becker):

20220715_161331.jpg.f6bf4db8c1d8d77c1d47f383c1df13a1.jpg

I like that they added some metal bushings and decent screws, so the screws won't eat through the plastics:

20220715_160346.jpg.686ebee4201d463179c0d8fb6daa9e2b.jpg

It might be possible to dremel off some material, so it would fit the center stand bracket on the LHS.

Not sure if I'll go that route.

IMHO, this skid might not really be first choice for hardcore riding. Crashing on sharp stones at speed might break it, but it's light and will probably slide over obstacles really nice (it's made from polyamide aka Nylon).

For my expected riding, it should do its job.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2

Thanks for information. I have been curious about this plate.  I may the only T7 owner on the planet that still runs the OEM skid plate.  It hasn't failed yet. 🥴

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zero600 said:

Thanks for information. I have been curious about this plate.  I may the only T7 owner on the planet that still runs the OEM skid plate.  It hasn't failed yet. 🥴

Same was true for me until Tuesday, when I installed my SW-Motech skid (returned the Acerbis) 😀

FYI, I think the Acerbis could really be modified to work with center stands. Either trim it on the right side, or maybe re-form it using a heatgun.

Edited by Tenerider

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 12:00 AM, Tenerider said:

Hey guys, I bought the Euro5 model today.

It feels ok, although not as solid as an aluminum skid.

But it sure has its advantages, like light weight and quite good coverage especially on the sides while being quite narrow!

See some crappy pics here:

20220715_161215.jpg.1c8b70ddb1af3fc52b48232b0e7b5972.jpg

20220715_161227.jpg.690073d7b80d630785da939abfc9c93a.jpg

20220715_161235.jpg.7824dbe80921a3e4a22e2f4185168f63.jpg

20220715_161341.jpg.a150942d892945f02c2b31694ec84b79.jpg

Unfortunately, it does NOT fit my center stand (Hepco & Becker):

20220715_161331.jpg.f6bf4db8c1d8d77c1d47f383c1df13a1.jpg

I like that they added some metal bushings and decent screws, so the screws won't eat through the plastics:

20220715_160346.jpg.686ebee4201d463179c0d8fb6daa9e2b.jpg

It might be possible to dremel off some material, so it would fit the center stand bracket on the LHS.

Not sure if I'll go that route.

IMHO, this skid might not really be first choice for hardcore riding. Crashing on sharp stones at speed might break it, but it's light and will probably slide over obstacles really nice (it's made from polyamide aka Nylon).

For my expected riding, it should do its job.

I have a Hepco & Decker center stand installed.
I would like to install an Acerbis skid plate. how did you install the  Hepco & Decker center stand and the Acerbis skid plate?

12 minutes ago, CWC38 said:

I have a Hepco & Decker center stand installed.
I would like to install an Acerbis skid plate. how did you install the  Hepco & Decker center stand and the Acerbis skid plate?

Hi, I haven't installed it finally.

If you want to install it, you need to trim off some parts of the skid on the right side.

It might also be possible to mold the plastics with a heat gun, but not sure about that.

I had the skid returned and went for a different one (SW-Motech).

5 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Hi, I haven't installed it finally.

If you want to install it, you need to trim off some parts of the skid on the right side.

It might also be possible to mold the plastics with a heat gun, but not sure about that.

I had the skid returned and went for a different one (SW-Motech).

• Thanks for the valuable info!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if it will work with the Yamaha OEM centerstand?

• Like 1

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

• 3 weeks later...

Great review, Tenerider.

I'm still using the OE plate, but, am looking for plastic as they are generally quieter.  How's this one for lifting the bike?  I currently lift carefully via the OE plate, but, am looking for better ways.  I'm used to bikes with full frames that have a flat section for a cycle jack.  I don't lift through the engine or oil pan casting. 

1 hour ago, Mark T700 said:

Great review, Tenerider.

I'm still using the OE plate, but, am looking for plastic as they are generally quieter.  How's this one for lifting the bike?  I currently lift carefully via the OE plate, but, am looking for better ways.  I'm used to bikes with full frames that have a flat section for a cycle jack.  I don't lift through the engine or oil pan casting. 

Thanks mate!

I guess it won't be safe with the Acerbis skid, since it's not flat. Plus, it might be bent and thus the bike might tip over.

I guess the AXP Racing HDPE might be a better choice - it seems to perform very well, a guy from Germany posted a 30k km (or so) review and had zero complaints - and he was doing ruff stuff.

If it works with a bike lift, I don't no - but probably better than the Acerbis one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tenerider said:

Thanks mate!

I guess it won't be safe with the Acerbis skid, since it's not flat. Plus, it might be bent and thus the bike might tip over.

I guess the AXP Racing HDPE might be a better choice - it seems to perform very well, a guy from Germany posted a 30k km (or so) review and had zero complaints - and he was doing ruff stuff.

If it works with a bike lift, I don't no - but probably better than the Acerbis one.

If you have Yamaha center stand the AXP racing skid plate isn't compatible.  Ask me how I know.  😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

I got a 2022 (Euro 5) model but intend to do a cat delete.  As such, I presume I should order a Euro 4 style skid plate?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, e010584 said:

I got a 2022 (Euro 5) model but intend to do a cat delete.  As such, I presume I should order a Euro 4 style skid plate?

The Euro 5 skid plate (all black one) seems the better and safer choice.  It will fit both Euro 4 and 5 T7s. The euro 4 skid plate is a combination of plastic and aluminum with bolts holding together that could come lose. 

• Like 1

I can use some help on this topic as well. Is the 2022 US model tenere exactly the same as the Euro 5 model?  I would prefer to use the all plastic skid plate from acerbis but my usual US vendors don't seem to have it in the drop down fitment menu for 2022.  Will it fit.  (no center stand)

Edited by tapdoubt
clarity

5 hours ago, tapdoubt said:

I can use some help on this topic as well. Is the 2022 US model tenere exactly the same as the Euro 5 model?  I would prefer to use the all plastic skid plate from acerbis but my usual US vendors don't seem to have it in the drop down fitment menu for 2022.  Will it fit.  (no center stand)

Yes