Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis X-Power Engine Case Covers

Zero600

Summary
- Great product!  Beautifully engineered, great quality, perfect fit, easy install, and 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of anything else.
- Limited availability as of this writing.  For shipping to North America I suggest Motostorm.it

I wanted some coverage for the cases of my T7 after putting major scratches into the cases on my previous bike.  I had a bad experience with the product from Triple Clamp Moto, so I decided to try the X-Power covers from Acerbis.  Acerbis has made this product line for some time, but the parts for the T7 are relatively new, just released in spring of ’22 it appears.

These are the real deal.  Unlike others that are vacuum-formed, the Acerbis parts are injection-molded and perfectly engineered.  The fit is exact.  The material is thick and there are metal inserts at the bolt locations to ensure you can properly torque your bolts after install.

Install was straightforward, and you re-use the factory bolts, which I like.  I stood the bike upright but I still leaked a bit of oil from the left side.  Not enough to worry about, but have a rag handy, or do the install when you’ve drained the oil for a change.  A torque wrench is highly recommended to avoid stripping the cases.  I went to 11 N-m.  I’ve seen references to both 10 N-m and 12 N-m.  I also used Loctite.

I got mine from Motostorm in Italy.  Initially I tried to buy from OffTheRoad.de but their shipping methods to the US are not favorable, and after some back-and-forth I decided to cancel my order there.  My order from Motostorm arrived in under a week via FedEx.

acerbis_xpower_crankbase_p.jpg

Crankcase coating against wear, impact, abrasion by contact boots, mud, sand and debris Right side: clutch cover protection, water pump and ...

No crashes on them, but given that Acerbis has been doing this for a while, I expect they will perform.  They offer some coverage for the water pump and water pipes as well.  My only complaint would be that they don’t cover the top of the clutch side.  As you can see from my photos, it *is* possible to get some scratches there if you are as “talented” a rider as I am.

IMG_7454.JPG

IMG_7453.JPG

Edited by Zero600
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The coverage looks great.  Good looking armor.  Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the review!

Is there any special tightening scheme for the screws?

Looking forward to getting these as well, as they'd serve a dual purpose: protect everything and cover my cooling pipes, which lost their coating a bit.

5 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Thanks for the review!

Is there any special tightening scheme for the screws?

Looking forward to getting these as well, as they'd serve a dual purpose: protect everything and cover my cooling pipes, which lost their coating a bit.

By tightening scheme - do you mean tightening them in a certain order?  Nothing in the instructions about that.  I simply tightened all the screws to snug and then torqued each to 11 N-m with the torque wrench.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zero600 said:

By tightening scheme - do you mean tightening them in a certain order?  Nothing in the instructions about that.  I simply tightened all the screws to snug and then torqued each to 11 N-m with the torque wrench.

Yeah, that's what I thought of, some certain order. Thanks, I will do it the same way!

Luckily, Off-the-road.de is only a short ride from my home. So I'll probably pick it personally.

2 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Yeah, that's what I thought of, some certain order. Thanks, I will do it the same way!

Luckily, Off-the-road.de is only a short ride from my home. So I'll probably pick it personally.

Lucky for you!  Shipping to the US was, I think, 30 EUR.

2 minutes ago, Zero600 said:

Lucky for you!  Shipping to the US was, I think, 30 EUR.

Shipping over the pond is ridiculously high, no matter what direction (at least that's my experience) 🙁

I bought mine from GreenlandMX, cheapest i found, dunno about shipping.

0025138-090-P.jpg?sw=420&sh=420&sm=fit

Find Acerbis X-Power Yamaha Ténéré 700 19-22 in GreenlandMX. The European Motocross, Enduro, Trail and Trial Store. Best prices. The best attention. Express deliveries.

acerbis.jpg

Edited by Vikan
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2022 at 10:33 AM, harris pitt said:

hello all. is there any installation video of this engine cover?its so beatiful but i need help before i buy it!!

No, but it is easy. Just remove the necessary bolts, put on the cover, and re-torque.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The X-Power Case Covers are really easy to install. Depending on what skid plate you have, you might need to remove that first to get better access to the cover bolts.

You only need to remove four bolts on the water pump side and only three bolts on the other side to install the two covers. No need to remove all the engine case covers and I didn't have any leaks, but I did have the bike standing straight up which might have helped.

Here is a copy of the Acerbis X-Power Case Armor Install Instructions and torque specs you will need from the Yamaha T7 Service Manual.

Acerbis X-Power 1.jpg

Acerbis X-Power 2.jpg

Acerbis X-Power 3.jpg

Clutch Cover

T7 Clutch Cover.jpg

Water Pump Cover - One of the cover bolts also holds down the hoses

T7 Water Pump.jpg

Generator Cover

T7 Generator Cover.jpg

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only part I forgot to mention was that it took a little bit to fit the generator cover past the fuel overflow line by the sprocket cover. Nothing major, just took my time as I didn't want to break anything.

IMG_20220821_124325.jpg

IMG_20220821_124312.jpg

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7

• 9 months later...

Just knocked out the install of the Acerbis X-Power clutch/ignition covers while I waited for the last drips of oil from my 600mi service. Want to thank Zero600 and Rocky_Mtn_ T7 for their invaluable input on this thread. Install was a cake walk after finding torque values supplied on this thread. Thanks fellas!

20230620_191156.jpg

20230620_191231.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking to pick these up, as I want to go crashbar-less on my bike and would like some protection down there.

I only wonder why they re-use the original bolts.

Doesn't this mean that there will be less active thread inside the engine covers?

The last thing I want is to strip a thread down there. 

Edited by OK185

18 minutes ago, OK185 said:

I'm thinking to pick these up, as I'm thinking to go crashbar-less on my bike and would like some protection down there.

I only wonder why they re-use the original bolts.

Doesn't this mean that there will be less active thread inside the engine covers?

The last thing I want is to strip a thread down there. 

You are right, but actually these aren't very thick - so probably using the original bolts is fine.

On the other hand: These aren't thick. And they have some holes where I don't want them (having scratched my clutch cover in that area before I've mounted engine protection covers).

That's why I went with the more expensive, but much beefier, fibreglass reinforced GB-Racing covers recently.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I was actually trying to decide between these and the Aliexpress GB-Racing covers. (The original GB Racing stuff is just too expensive for my liking.)

The only doubt I have about those is the fact that you can't have that original plastic clutch cover protection. 

Does that mean your shins can bump into the clutch cover?

I have to say from an aesthetics standpoint I actually prefer the GB-Racing covers. 

Are the Acerbis really that thin?

33 minutes ago, OK185 said:

Thanks for the info. I was actually trying to decide between these and the Aliexpress GB-Racing covers. (The original GB Racing stuff is just too expensive for my liking.)

The only doubt I have about those is the fact that you can't have that original plastic clutch cover protection. 

Does that mean your shins can bump into the clutch cover?

I have to say from an aesthetics standpoint I actually prefer the GB-Racing covers. 

Are the Acerbis really that thin?

By comparison: Yes, I'd say something like 2-3 mm. I do not think they'd protect the bike i  a drop onto a rock or so - but will at least offer some scratch protection when sliding over gravel.

I wouldn't trust the Chinese knock-offs at all by the way.

For some more heavy-duty engine case protection you might want to see if a set of T-Rex or Woodcraft engine case guards would "should" fit the T7.

N74-15C-2T.jpg

T-Rex Racing Yamaha FZ-07 / MT-07 / XSR700 / YZF-R7 Engine Case Covers

Woodcraft Engine Covers are not only a work of art for your motorcycle, they'll outlast anything else on the market! They're race-proven through nearly two decades of testing to provide the most reliable and durable...

I haven't looked into see if the MT-07 case guards would fit on the T7, but they should with it being the same engine. Neither site lists the T7 as an option, but probably because no one has asked them if there would be a fitment issue. The only negative is that neither one gives any protection for the water pump and cooling hoses. Maybe the GB-Racing water pump and hose covers would fit with these to solve that issue.

The water pump and hose cover being part of the Acerbis covers, and the fact that you can wash out any dirt without having to remove the case covers is what sold me on the Acerbis covers. I just wanted a bit more protection on top of the Yamaha heavy-duty skid plate and crash bars. Which came with the bike when I picked it up slightly used. It only had 3,200 km on it and the guy added in 5k of extras including the 5-year extended warranty.

I know some people don't really care about protecting the engine cases, since new case covers are not too expensive. It has more to do with stopping a rock from puncturing the case cover and having your oil leak all over the ground.

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, Rocky_Mtn_T7 said:

The only part I forgot to mention was that it took a little bit to fit the generator cover past the fuel overflow line by the sprocket cover. Nothing major, just took my time as I didn't want to break anything.

IMG_20220821_124325.jpg

IMG_20220821_124312.jpg

Being a fellow Canuck, wondering who you ordered from? 

• Like 1

For some more heavy-duty engine case protection you might want to see if a set of T-Rex or Woodcraft engine case guards would "should" fit the T7.

T-Rex Racing Yamaha FZ-07 / MT-07 / XSR700 / YZF-R7 Engine Case Covers

Woodcraft Engine Covers are not only a work of art for your motorcycle, they'll outlast anything else on the market! They're race-proven through nearly two decades of testing to provide the most reliable and durable...

I haven't looked into see if the MT-07 case guards would fit on the T7, but they should with it being the same engine. Neither site lists the T7 as an option, but probably because no one has asked them if there would be a fitment issue. The only negative is that neither one gives any protection for the water pump and cooling hoses. Maybe the water pump GB-Racing water pump and hose covers would fit with these to solve that issue.

On 9/6/2023 at 3:48 PM, roygilbo said:

Being a fellow Canuck, wondering who you ordered from? 

Back in 2022, I couldn't find them anywhere locally or in Canada and my local bike shop couldn't find a listing for them in their Acerbis catalog. I ended up finding them for an okay price on eBay from a place in Italy.

It might be worth checking your local bike shop that sells Acerbis and see if they can order it for you.

There are a couple of places on eBay that have them for sale, it just might take a little while for shipping.

There are also a couple of places in the UK and Europe that have them listed on their websites, I just do not know how much it would cost for shipping.

Acerbis X-Power Case Guards - Tenere 700 - Engine crankcase coating against wear, shocks, abrasions

Acerbis X-Power Engine Protection Cover made from plastic for the Yamaha Tenere 700   The new X-Power protection for engine covers. Optimal…

I have ordered accessories from the UK, Europe, and Australia before and as long as the shipping cost is not too high it is sometimes cheaper than buying them locally. Just make sure you don't buy a cheap knock-off version that could be made from cheap plastic.

Edit: - Ordering accessories from the UK and Australia is also sometimes cheaper for us fellow Canuks, than ordering stuff from the USA. Especially if you have them shipped via Mail and not by FedEx or UPS. FedEx and UPS to Canada, and you are guaranteed some big added Duty and Customs charges. Shipping by Standard Mail from the UK and Australia is often quite fast. I ordered a front Fender Extender for my FZ-09 from Pyramid Plastics in the UK once and it was at my door in five business days. That same part shipped across Canada would have taken two weeks. Even ordering stuff by mail from Australia during the pandemic only took a couple of weeks to show up.

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Another Supplier is KEDO Parts USA.

Acerbis X-Power Engine Protection Cover

And it might also be worth checking with your local bike shop to see if they are an authorized Acerbis Dealer, and if they can order them in for you as well.

I've got the gb racing aliexpress knock offs and I'm very impressed to be fair.

More coverage than acerbis very strong. I used stainless Allen but they do come with longer bolts too there's no way the stock bolts would reach 

3 hours ago, sunndog said:

I've got the gb racing aliexpress knock offs and I'm very impressed to be fair.

More coverage than acerbis very strong. I used stainless Allen but they do come with longer bolts too there's no way the stock bolts would reach 

Do you have a link to that on Aliexpress?