Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Pants recommendation.

DT675

I'm currently wearing Klim Dakar pants and like them.  However I seem to always be in-between sizes with pants.  The Klim jackets fit perfectly but the pants don't.  The M is just too tight and the L is too baggy. 

It looks like I need to start to look at different brands and I am looking for recommendations on what brands to try.  I don't need waterproof.  I like the materials the Klim is made from and how breathable they are for reference. Knee armor pockets are a must. Thanks!

I'm a fan of Aerostich AD1.  There is a lot of waist adjustability and they come with a belt. Plenty of pockets. The waterproof thigh pocket is great for keeping your wallet safe and easily accessible. They are wide enough to go over off-road boots.

They do take awhile to fully break in so they are pretty stiff at first but they'll last forever. They are fully waterproof and there is no venting so they could be warm in hot weather.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan M said:

I'm a fan of Aerostich

+1 on that!!

Plus they are made in Duluth Minnesota (Home of @DT675)

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

9 hours ago, DT675 said:

I'm currently wearing Klim Dakar pants and like them.  However I seem to always be in-between sizes with pants.  The Klim jackets fit perfectly but the pants don't.  The M is just too tight and the L is too baggy. 

It looks like I need to start to look at different brands and I am looking for recommendations on what brands to try.  I don't need waterproof.  I like the materials the Klim is made from and how breathable they are for reference. Knee armor pockets are a must. Thanks!

Maybe only the Dakar pants are sized M and L from Klim, because everything else I've seen from them are inch sizing (32, 34, etc.) including the older Traverse pants I have from them.

I'm also a big Aerostich fan, with a one piece Roadcrafter and a couple of Darien jackets in the closet. I recently bought a pair of their Darien AD1 Light pants and they are the most comfortable and practical motorcycle pants I've ever worn. I ride in rain all the time and can't imagine not wearing waterproof/GoreTex gear these days, especially when it vents so well in warmer weather like my Aerostich gear.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

I bought the AD1’s for the side zip to make commuting easier. I really like them, but they made for the rain and cooler weather. 

I have been wearing Klim Baja S4 mesh pants and they flow air extremely well.  Mated with their Enduro S4 over pants that are breathable, waterproof and easy to put on in a hurry,  you get a nice system that covers most weather conditions. 

If only they were not so expensive!

• Like 1

Thanks for the Aerostich recommendations!  I’ll look into them.  They may be a little too expensive from what I remember 😬

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 7:17 PM, jdub53 said:

Maybe only the Dakar pants are sized M and L from Klim, because everything else I've seen from them are inch sizing (32, 34, etc.) including the older Traverse pants I have from them.

I'm also a big Aerostich fan, with a one piece Roadcrafter and a couple of Darien jackets in the closet. I recently bought a pair of their Darien AD1 Light pants and they are the most comfortable and practical motorcycle pants I've ever worn. I ride in rain all the time and can't imagine not wearing waterproof/GoreTex gear these days, especially when it vents so well in warmer weather like my Aerostich gear.

Good luck with your search.

Your right. I was thinking jacket sizes when I wrote that. 

To clarify, I was referring to the Klim pants sizes 32 and 34. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DT675 said:

Thanks for the Aerostich recommendations!  I’ll look into them.  They may be a little too expensive from what I remember 😬

Many great deals to be found on lightly used Aerostich gear on the AdvRider Flea Market. I bought barely used Darien jackets there for both me and my wife for only $200, and my Darien AD1 Light pants came from there for half the price of new and I couldn't tell they'd ever been worn. Aerostich supports their products like no one else and their stuff lasts (my one-piece Roadcrafter is 19 years old and going strong), so don't be afraid to buy something that's got a few years on it.

20211215_142539.jpg.8b58e4a465a00464c9d2aab4dcef5ff6.jpg20220502_062436.jpg.217c3f3ab894c00d989074a6ab5a9da2.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 6:20 PM, Hibobb said:

+1 on that!!

Plus they are made in Duluth Minnesota (Home of @DT675)

I don’t know what your talking about 🙃

B4462112-60F3-4629-8637-2D7E03917C00.jpeg.0df905c1cc249337246480e2d7aeb59a.jpeg

Edited by DT675
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I looked into the AeroStitch pants a bit and they are a little more than I was hoping to pay right now.  I have seen several come up on Advrider often enough used though. 

Anyone use Revit?

• 2 months later...

For the sake of follow-up,  I ended up finding a clearance priced Revit Cayenne Pro pants to try for $6. So it would cost me $6 to send them back if I didn't like them.  I went with the medium since they were suggested to fit "up to" the next pants size from what I am wearing.  To re-cap, the Klim 32 are too small for me and the 34 too baggy.  The Revit Cayenne Pro size M is about perfect. The fit is great and the armor is really good compared to what I had put in the Klim (D30).  The Klim doesnt come with armor shipped.  With that said and while the fit is great, they definetly would not adjust to someone wearing 34 or bigger, I think that verbiage is a bit of a stretch.  My wife says my "butt looks great" in them, so yeah, they are just a little too tight in the hips area before break-in.  After I wore them once they seemd to fit just like my jeans do! Im quite pleased with them.

Edited by DT675

• 1 year later...

Thought I’d throw my tuppence in as it’s fresh in my head. Alpinestars drystar laminated trousers/pants. Andes V3. 

not waterproof.

I’ve had them three years and first got wet nuts last winter. Alpinestars recommended doing the wash and wax stuff. Although it helps any fabric, these are supposed to be waterproof themselves in the laminated shell. Obviously not. We’re talking less than 20 miles in rain. 
the “waterproof” zips on these trousers and jackets clearly aren’t either. 
the Belize boots are still awesome though, and the gloves (not full winter warm ones) are still dry. 

• Like 1

Good to know.  I've wanted to try A*'s just to test the fit compared to other brands.  Some just fit better.  Just as long as I dont need waterproof I guess...

I still have the Rev'it Cayenne Pro I listed above and use them as summer dry weather riding pants.  Still like them.  However since then, I've purchased a pair of Rev'it Horizon 2 laminated waterproof pants and jacket.  They use Rev'it's own lamination to the outer fabric as oposed to Goretex.  They are fantastic.  Ive been in 2 rain storms and stayed dry in both.  One of the two was a downpour for about 3 hours straight.  I had no complaints while my buddy was wearing a rain suit over his gear and had some complaints of being wet in spots.  The Horizon's do have venting but not a lot so I can only use them up to about 80F.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My first pair of adv pants but bought the hwk pant off amazon. Bought the 36w 34 l. I am 6ft 4in and about 215. They fit well. I normally wear that size so pretty true to size. Borderline if heavy jeans would fit well under but regular long underwear if cold or lighter pants would for sure.  Armor lines up well with the knees and hip pads seem good also. At only $60 hard to beat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 8:17 PM, jdub53 said:

I have two pairs of Dakar and one pair of Latitude - all nominally sized - 38 short. Are you sure you're not getting "Krim" from you know where?

31 minutes ago, Fzrcraig said:

I have two pairs of Dakar and one pair of Latitude - all nominally sized - 38 short. Are you sure you're not getting "Krim" from you know where?

Maybe you quoted the wrong person? As stated in my post which you quoted, my Klim pants like yours are in inch sizing vs S, M, L, etc.

While removing my Klim Traverse pants today after a ride, I thought again to myself "holy crap, these things are heavy and stout!". Eleven years old, well worn, and still 100% waterproof and tough.   

Anyone out there ever try these guys? DriRider out of Australia 
In considering giving  them a try since their pricing seems decent 

Australia's most iconic motorcycle clothing brand Trusted to protect motorcyclists since 1980 Dririder is determined to keep motorcyclists visible...