Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Nelson-Rigg Hurricane Soft Panniers

jdub53

Very nice! Im going to go check out if they have the same bags but in a smaller capasity.  I'm running 100% rackless but have recently decided I might be going to a rack.  I was thinking about going with hard (plastic, the aluminum ones are so expensive!)  panniers but your leg trap deal has me thinking...  Is that a thing that happens often to people??

I had my leg trapper under aluminium panniers om my Crosstourer and i felt that for a couple of months.

Same happened with my Mosko Moto Backcountry 35L (also available in 25L) and that just rook a week to wear off.

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed review @jdub53 , much appreciated.

Despite their size, they look quite cool imho.

I think you have put on some protective mylar or so on the back, looks good, too! Could you provide some details on that?

9 hours ago, DT675 said:

Very nice! Im going to go check out if they have the same bags but in a smaller capasity.  I'm running 100% rackless but have recently decided I might be going to a rack.  I was thinking about going with hard (plastic, the aluminum ones are so expensive!)  panniers but your leg trap deal has me thinking...  Is that a thing that happens often to people??

It was actually a hard plastic pannier that trapped me with my ankle twisted backwards under it. Thankfully my buddy came upon me about 20 seconds later and lifted the bike off. Quite sure no such drama would have been involved with soft bags. Yeah, better tires would've helped a lot here too but that was the only spot where the bike went down and I made it through (2007 in Big Bend National Park, west Texas). 

IMG_1758.JPG.6f90a45e6fdd292aa228af54a5d67ddc.JPGIMG_1759.JPG.f5ea6232b4956ae8104188e9c7cf5237.JPG 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Thanks for the detailed review @jdub53 , much appreciated.

Despite their size, they look quite cool imho.

I think you have put on some protective mylar or so on the back, looks good, too! Could you provide some details on that?

Good eye. Shortly after buying my T7 I'd decided I was going use rackless luggage, so I bought a roll of clear 3M paint protection film. I measured and cut pieces of film to fit the entire rear of the bike (all of the rear side panels plus the area behind the pillion seat). Unfortunately, my film application to the side panels looked like something from a horror movie (my fault, not the film's) and I tore it off. I kept the small rear piece of film as it turned out well. Since they'd come with my bike, I installed the Rally Raid racks when I tried that rackless system. Loved the racks, but not the system.

I recently bought a Black Dog Cycle Works Helo Pad which I'll likely use when a duffle bag, etc., is mounted between the panniers, as the Helo Pad extends an inch or two beyond the tail light and will keeping anything from drooping over and obscuring the light. Don't really want or need a full blown tail rack on the T7.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A follow-up on the Hurricane panniers after a great 600 mile trip over the past two days. Riding most of it with my cousin on his 890 Adv, the trip included lots of off-road with rocks, mud and dust. The last 30 miles to home were through a heavy thunderstorm with wind and rain bad enough that cars were sitting it out on the side of the road, but I was determined to put the panniers (and my riding gear) to the water test. No "spray it with a garden hose" stuff here, and the bags did much better than some of my gear.  

20220711_151129.jpg.ab65ca8511c11e4bf3ad1c5457acf5a8.jpg

The panniers worked perfectly, with zero dust or water making their way inside. After my initial fitting last week to the T7, reinstallation for this trip took under two minutes to the Rally Raid racks. Dropping in and then removing the lightly loaded inner liners (one had my things for an overnight stay at my cousin's house, the other side was packed with towels for shape) was as easy as I'd expected. Rolling down and securing the three straps/buckles on each pannier's top opening took all of ten seconds each, as did opening a pannier for access to its contents. 

My cousin has a Mosko Moto 40 set-up for his KTM, and like me has past experience with other soft pannier systems as well. While he really like his MMs, he was very impressed with these Nelson-Riggs bags as well and said they were very stable while following me. Unlike the soft bag system I'd tried immediately before buying these Hurricanes, removing the bags from my T7 after arriving home last evening revealed no evidence of movement/rubbing against the racks. 

Having proven their simple but effective design and features, I'm very happy and impressed with these panniers for my purposes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

@jdub53 Reviews like this are what make this forum so valuable.  My son is currently in the " Paralysis by Analysis" mode in trying to figure out what luggage system he wants for his new T7.  Your review is very timely,  thank you for your efforts!  

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@jdub53 Excellent Review! Appreciate the detailed fitment and product descriptions, but I had to go to the Rally Raid site to get a look at the racks beneath the bags 😉

Thanks for returning for a post-use follow-up, adds a lot of credibility to the whole review.

I'm still figuring out my luggage solution. Being spoiled for choices is not the worst problem.

P.S. Corks rule!

• Haha 1

I'm glad this information is useful, and another quick follow-up on these Hurricane soft panniers.

I was out this week with a full camping load when I managed to drop the bike due to poor line selection while climbing a multi-layered rock shelf. I'd almost made it to the top, but because of how difficult it would be to get the bike up and then start again from there due to the slope I spun the bike around by the front wheel. Once pointed downward, I got the bike up and rode it back down the slope. 

SAM_3549.JPG.8f76694b38eeade203cff08f9866e2f9.JPG

The only marks on the panniers from the drop and subsequent spin on the rock were scratches to the right side front buckles, which doesn't at all affect their functionality. Being able to simply lift out the loaded inner bags at night and reinsert them in the morning without pannier removal reconfirmed my overall satisfaction with selecting and using these bags. I also found 28 oz. bicycling water bottles (can be seen in below pic) to be a perfect fit into the pannier integrated bottle holders, handy for me as I have many of these water bottles around the house.  

SAM_3555.JPG.69f1f1e4cdab217807ab23c1b2125fe9.JPG      

SAM_3553.JPG.21422486c857ef8572d11a171c0f0b98.JPG

As a bonus, I also discovered on this trip the real reason Gatorade bottles have that wide, handy groove around their middle:

SAM_3547.JPG.3a0a2eec01968557069e99dd1bc874fb.JPG

😁

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Boondocker said:

@jdub53 Excellent Review! Appreciate the detailed fitment and product descriptions, but I had to go to the Rally Raid site to get a look at the racks beneath the bags 😉

Thanks for returning for a post-use follow-up, adds a lot of credibility to the whole review.

I'm still figuring out my luggage solution. Being spoiled for choices is not the worst problem.

P.S. Corks rule!

Here are a couple of unadorned pics of the excellent Rally Raid racks, taken the day I brought the T7 home. I'm really glad the PO had bought these. Because I prefer a bare bike when possible, I only install the racks when I use the panniers. Four bolts per rack, so just a couple of minutes to put on/take off. If you have the OEM muffler installed, the right side rack also has a bolt-on brace strut to reinforce the muffler hanger.

20210430_164615.jpg.ca598612b9d4f4239b95604c2cfb1f93.jpg20210430_164641.jpg.73f4ea1a8cfa0ac68d8c0f793b0d755b.jpg

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd post a follow-up on my continuing experiences with these Nelson Riggs Hurricane soft panniers after another outing using them. I just returned from a three day, 730 mile ride following the excellent Pennsylvania Wilds BDR-X route, which included one night camping and one in a hotel. While no rain was encountered on this trip (I lucked out with gorgeous weather all three days), there were lots of water holes and mud from bad storms a few days prior and, of course, the ever-present rocks on all of the BDR-X expert sections.

I'm happy to report that the more I use them, the more pleased I am with my selection of these panniers. Because I normally run my bike bare and I now have experience doing it numerous times, fitting the Rally Raid pannier racks to the bike for a trip takes about five minutes and then loosely attaching the panniers to the racks takes about three more. I stuff each N-R internal bag as full as practical, then insert them into the panniers which still leaves about 15 to 20% of empty space inside each pannier. Note that I don't use the wide internal plastic stiffeners provided by N-R with the bags, which would likely provide even more internal empty space. I like to limit the width of the bike as much as possible, so without the stiffeners installed once each bag is loaded I cinch each of the four external side straps per bag tight. Along with each bag's wide top strap, these straps compress each bag and also hold it tight to the rack to ensure no flopping while on the trail.

As shown in the below pics from my arrival home, with a full internal bag inserted there was still room to stuff an Aerostich fleece jacket into one corner. Once at the campsite or hotel, it was simple to loosen the side straps, remove the clean and dry internal bags and carry them into the tent/hotel room while the panniers themselves stayed on the bike. Perfect.

Other than the scrape marks on two metal buckles noted in a post above from where I spun the downed T7 around while it was laying on a large rock, there is no visible wear or other damage anywhere on the panniers or straps. The integral bottle holder on each pannier very securely held a 28 oz. bicycling water bottle during the trip. Great product and highly recommended if this type of set-up interests you.

As a side note, I also used BDCW's excellent Helo-Pad on this trip for full length support of the waterproof duffel bag. I don't use a luggage rack, so popping on the Helo-Pad in place of the pillion seat works great and takes all of 10 seconds.

20230404_065614.jpg.e2ecaf12f29b3c396b7dc1a39d1d83e7.jpg20230405_131617.jpg.40ded209f0d4cbf555fc2af07227e27b.jpg20230405_131632.jpg.15973af789a6e7ca68aaa769e7070b52.jpg20230405_132526.jpg.bc4138c098130ea1643621ec09dba33e.jpg20230405_132347.jpg.0484e6aacdd1096e8538dcd96809da18.jpg20230405_131930.jpg.f2833507eb24f4d73b220adb550c23db.jpg20230405_131853.jpg.57508fab3f3829d81daa2f66da6308fe.jpg20230405_133428.jpg.84ec793eb25ac07474079074b2553677.jpg

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 2