Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Seat height 34.6 Inches

Jason

Howdy all, 

So after a few months of deliberating I have decided to pull the trigger on a T7. I sold my MT10 about a week ago and now just waiting on the T7 to arrive in my local dealership. Quick question however, after sitting on one in another dealers I came to the conclusion I definitely need the lower seat.

Question I keep coming back to though is if I need the lower links also. I am 5.9 with a 31" inseam.

Anyone else with similar dimensions help me out? I realise this is a personal thing and suspension etc. will play a part. Just wondering how others find it. Plan is to use the bike on and off the road where possible. 

• Like 1

I am similar to you in stature , 5'8'' and 31" inside leg.    I was slightly concerned about the seat height as well before I got mine but I find it perfectly managable.  It's slightly taller than previous bike (KTM 990 ADV) but it doesn't feel as heavy .

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, boboneleg said:

I am similar to you in stature , 5'8'' and 31" inside leg.    I was slightly concerned about the seat height as well before I got mine but I find it perfectly managable.  It's slightly taller than previous bike (KTM 990 ADV) but it doesn't feel as heavy .

Did you bother with the lowering links or just the seat? 

• Like 1

I am 5 7 about 1.71m. I got the bike with the lowering kit installed and still feels a bit tall. I mean the bike is taller than the specs say...compared to the Ktm 790 Adventure is way taller...also compared to the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled. I think it has to do with the shape of the seat as well...it is too square...When you get one foot down it feels ok but when you try to maneuver the bike with both feet down it's a bit of an issue for me. There is a chance the lowering kit not installed properly...It should be lower than the Desert Sled but it proves to be so only in paper.

Hi, I’m also 1.7 and only just passed my test before ordering the T7 (my first bike!). To help build my confidence I had the lowering link and lower seat fitted. I can flat foot with both feet. As confidence builds I can revert back to the higher seat and remove the lower links. My Honda dealer did a great deal on the lowering links and lower seat! I hope that helps.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Roxburghe said:

Hi, I’m also 1.7 and only just passed my test before ordering the T7 (my first bike!). To help build my confidence I had the lowering link and lower seat fitted. I can flat foot with both feet. As confidence builds I can revert back to the higher seat and remove the lower links. My Honda dealer did a great deal on the lowering links and lower seat! I hope that helps.

Are you 1.70 and be able to flat foot the Tenere 700?

Yes 1.7, and with lowering links and lower seat I can flat foot both feet with motorcycle boots on.

Nice one guys, thank you all for the input. I’m picking the bike up this evening without any lower links or seat. It’ll be ok for me on road however taking it off road will be a different story so the lowering links and seat are ordered. Will let you all know how I get on

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

How much difference is there in height with just the lower seat? As well is it a compromise as far as comfort is concerned.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Allen Kelly said:

How much difference is there in height with just the lower seat? As well is it a compromise as far as comfort is concerned.

20mm lower for low seat alone. The comfort is ok for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for that reply, 20mm that should be all I need. I have to go into my dealer tomorrow and I’m sure they have one in there to try, so I will.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2019 at 1:47 PM, al700 said:

I am 5 7 about 1.71m. I got the bike with the lowering kit installed and still feels a bit tall. I mean the bike is taller than the specs say...compared to the Ktm 790 Adventure is way taller...also compared to the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled. I think it has to do with the shape of the seat as well...it is too square...When you get one foot down it feels ok but when you try to maneuver the bike with both feet down it's a bit of an issue for me. There is a chance the lowering kit not installed properly...It should be lower than the Desert Sled but it proves to be so only in paper.

thank you! I got to *finally* sit on a T700 today back to back with the KTM 790 Adv (not R) and the height is making me pause on the motorcycle in reality vs of my dreams. It felt closer to the Tiger 800.

57 minutes ago, NotGoodAtUsrnms said:

thank you! I got to *finally* sit on a T700 today back to back with the KTM 790 Adv (not R) and the height is making me pause on the motorcycle in reality vs of my dreams. It felt closer to the Tiger 800.

I’ve got a very short inseam of just 28” at 5’8” And have installed the OEM Low Seat and raised the forks up 20mm. After you get some miles on the suspension you’ll find it drops another 1/2-3/4 inches as the springs break in and relax a bit as well. I have a set 20mm lowering links on their way but don’t think I’m going to bother installing them. I’m down nearly on the balls of my feet and fairly comfortable there. 

2 minutes ago, Adrenolin said:

I’ve got a very short inseam of just 28” at 5’8” And have installed the OEM Low Seat and raised the forks up 20mm. After you get some miles on the suspension you’ll find it drops another 1/2-3/4 inches as the springs break in and relax a bit as well. I have a set 20mm lowering links on their way but don’t think I’m going to bother installing them. I’m down nearly on the balls of my feet and fairly comfortable there. 

How is that low seat feel for longer rides?  If I still go this route I am wondering about the OEM low seat vs something seat concepts will come out with..

Raising the fork up? Do you mean dropping the triple tree lower on the legs to drop the front?

Relaxed shock spring giving 1/2-3/4" under load sounds almost too good to be true but I want it to be true. Thanks for your experience.

10 hours ago, NotGoodAtUsrnms said:

How is that low seat feel for longer rides?  If I still go this route I am wondering about the OEM low seat vs something seat concepts will come out with..

Raising the fork up? Do you mean dropping the triple tree lower on the legs to drop the front?

Relaxed shock spring giving 1/2-3/4" under load sounds almost too good to be true but I want it to be true. Thanks for your experience.

The low seat imo feels exactly like the stock seat. Compared to the OEM WRR seat it’s not that bad. I wanted a low seat now and it was only $130 iirc so bought it. I’ll likely buy one of the Seat Concepts low seats but they aren’t due out until later this fall and I have the bike now. 

Yes, I raised the forks up or lowered the triple tree... either way there is about 20mm of fork above the triple. 

I had the same thing happen with the springs on my WRRs as well. It’s likely closer to 1/2” but it’s at least that. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, if I add the lowering links and want to revert it back to normal  later can I do that or will it that force a sag in the suspension that stays for good? Thanks 

On 12/17/2019 at 2:47 PM, al700 said:

People say that the lowering links reduce the ground clearance and the geometry of the bike and potently making it more dangerous to ride....anybody here has ridden it with and without lowering links? Any perceptible changes? Thanks 

Just as a heads up, the bike will settle in. I'm 6'1" 200lbs and I was on my tippy toes when I first go the the bike. Now that I have almost 700 km on it, I have more contact with the ground. I can't flat foot it, but I'm not completely on my toes anymore. I'm willing to bet it'll settle in more. My father is 6'1" and probably 240-250lbs and he can flat foot it.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, Jason said:

Howdy all, 

So after a few months of deliberating I have decided to pull the trigger on a T7. I sold my MT10 about a week ago and now just waiting on the T7 to arrive in my local dealership. Quick question however, after sitting on one in another dealers I came to the conclusion I definitely need the lower seat.

Question I keep coming back to though is if I need the lower links also. I am 5.9 with a 31" inseam.

Anyone else with similar dimensions help me out? I realise this is a personal thing and suspension etc. will play a part. Just wondering how others find it. Plan is to use the bike on and off the road where possible. 

On 2/15/2020 at 12:22 PM, Allen Kelly said:

I'm similar dimensions.  About 5'7" / 5'8", 30" inseam.  It's too tall for me also.  Did the Yamaha Low seat and all is good.  Still tall, but doesn't feel unsafe at stop lights, haha.  I literally had to hang a whole cheek off and make sure the bike fell to that side, otherwise, it was sketchy.  And I was wearing my race boots, which have a thin sole.

Thicker ADV boots might help a little also.

When your riding, those issues disappear, but the 20mm lower accessory seat height helped just enough to make me feel more comfortable.  As far as actual comfort of the lowered seat, I though it was fine for my first 2 hour ride - of course, I wear gear that is thicker than jeans though, but overall, didn't have an issue with it.

I'm never a fan of changing geometry to fix human dimensional challenges, especially if it means loosing travel on an off-road capable bike, because at some point you'll want the travel and/or clearance the bike was designed with 🙂

If you can get away with just the seat, I'd do that and skip the links...

- Paul

Edited by pgeldz
  • Like 2

I have the Yamaha lowering link (-19mm) and the low seat (also -19 mm), penalty for having 29" legs I guess. I have not as yet dropped the forks to match the lowering link as I'm waiting to get and fit a Rally Raid rear spring (for a 75 kg heavy weight), but I have not noticed any odd handling traits on the road so far. I'd like to be able just to manage with the low seat, but I think that's unlikely especially when I get the correct sag sorted with the rear shock/correct spring. I find the bike absolutely fine to ride even as compromised as it is now. It will be interesting to see how much better it is when I balance out the forks and the rear shock. Admittedly, this has been road riding only, so can't comment for off road.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2020 at 11:18 PM, pgeldz said:

I'm similar dimensions.  About 5'7" / 5'8", 30" inseam.  It's too tall for me also.  Did the Yamaha Low seat and all is good.  Still tall, but doesn't feel unsafe at stop lights, haha.  I literally had to hang a whole cheek off and make sure the bike fell to that side, otherwise, it was sketchy.  And I was wearing my race boots, which have a thin sole.

Thicker ADV boots might help a little also.

When your riding, those issues disappear, but the 20mm lower accessory seat height helped just enough to make me feel more comfortable.  As far as actual comfort of the lowered seat, I though it was fine for my first 2 hour ride - of course, I wear gear that is thicker than jeans though, but overall, didn't have an issue with it.

I'm never a fan of changing geometry to fix human dimensional challenges, especially if it means loosing travel on an off-road capable bike, because at some point you'll want the travel and/or clearance the bike was designed with 🙂

If you can get away with just the seat, I'd do that and skip the links...

- Paul

I got the lowering links and the lower seat, I then sold the lower seat shortly after and just stuck with the links. Now I’ve had the bike the guts of 10 months and I’m well used to it I’ve often thought about putting the original links back on but haven’t bothered yet. I end up rethinking that decision after times like on Sunday gone when I’m trying to scoot the bike backwards on a trail that has suddenly ended and I need to turn around haha

• Like 1