Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What tires will you run on your T-7?

Cruizin

I usually run 606’s on my DRZ and think they are great value for money and as close as a road legal knobby you’ll get, really good in sand too, I’m currently running the tractionators front and rear as that’s all they had when I needed them 4000km from home but they seemed to work well but not as good in the sand , I had a slide down the road on ashphalt on them though with the front slipping out on me but that was more due to a very slippery road I think with the first day of rain for months and the back of the bike loaded up ,a shame cause it’s shattered my confidence since, before I had no fear on the road with the knobbies but know I’m so cautious, probably not a bad thing.

anyway as for the T7 I don’t think I’ll run 606’s as it will be an all rounder bike and don’t want to be fearful to ride in the wet, I do like the continental TKC80’s but they are expensive , a good on and off road tyre and maybe worth the extra money

• Members

I've been doing the big block Shinkos and Kendas on my 950. Been working well on that bike.

• Like 1

• Members
Just now, Cruizin said:

How do those do in loose dirt? I've always wondered? 

Similar to the TKC80s if you've run those before. They work pretty well in the dirt and on the street. I even ran them on my Berg on a long dual sport ride and they were great in everything except sloppy mud.

Im not much of a mud rider and very rarely do it but the problem is when riding with mates in the road and trails ride we will go down the odd mud track and that’s when I thank myself for running the 606’s , the rest of the 99.9% of riding I’m thinking I wish I had road or trail tyres but it’s the .1% with the 606’s that saves my ass from going down. 

I do a bit of sand riding for practice to cross the Simpson desert next year and the 606’s are great in that , I found the rear tractionator having little grip in comparison

Im in Idaho/USA and we dont get much mud except for springtime. Most of what I ride is loose dirt, hardpacked dirt with loose stuff on top and hard scrabble. We also get this fine sand that feels like baby powder, it's that fine.   Alot of loose rocks. 

I also really like the Pirelli DOT Trials tire for the rear. It's the Mt-43 and it's an awesome tire.  Air it down to 8 lbs off road and it just grabs and sticks to everything. Air it back up on the road.  Greatest thing is the miles you can get out of it. I have one hanging in my garage that has 8,000 miles on it and it probably has another 2-3000 miles left on it.  Sucks in sand, though and I wouldn't even think about taking it in mud. 

• Members

606s are terrible in mud too. If I'm going to be in mud the only tire I want is a fresh MT16.

• Members

This may have been the ride that finally made me give up on the 606.

• Haha 1

• Members
10 hours ago, T700 said:

Times when a light wr250 would have been a good purchase 

Not much lighter than a DRZ. 

My Husaberg 390 on the other hand...almost unstoppable. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What do you think about the new Bridgestone AX41?

I think I´ll be running these. 

Fabros

Bridgestone-Battlax-Adventurecross-AX41-1-696x464.jpg

Bridgestone-Battlax-Adventurecross-AX41-3-696x464.jpg

anyone plan on using " tire foam" or sticking with tubes? 

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

I always liked the Mitas E-07 on my 640 Adv. Once whatever tire they deliver it with is run down I'll probably mount these again. Feels like a real 50/50 tire and it also lasts on tarmac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Godfather said:

I always liked the Mitas E-07 on my 640 Adv. Once whatever tire they deliver it with is run down I'll probably mount these again. Feels like a real 50/50 tire and it also lasts on tarmac

thanks for mentioning that tire. I like the tread design of the Mitas. How does it work on loose rock and dirt?  

• Premium Member

I was talking with John at Heidenau USA(Moto Amore) yesterday. They are releasing a K-60 Scout II soon.. He’s not sure of the specs, compound or if it will have a center stripe yet..... I’ll post specs when I get them. 

1640F44D-0CB0-408E-935F-A6DBBC1F12CC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:49 PM, Cruizin said:

thanks for mentioning that tire. I like the tread design of the Mitas. How does it work on loose rock and dirt?  

I've got Mitas E-07 on one of my Dr650. Today I've been riding for two hours in mud, dirt, very wet conditions and it's hard to control traction.  Dr650 is lighter than T7, so I could handle it, but with that tire on T7  I would be in trouble. To sum up E-07 is ok in dry conditions.

I like the tread of Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T, but have no experience with Motoz .

I've seen here on forum some of you use this tire, what's your experience with it in wet conditions? How about durability on tarmac? 

Dunlop 606 up front and 908 at the rear. I ride majority off road. Although the 606 wears weird, it still is a great front tire. 908 wears well on pavement for being an aggressive knobby. I will get 5-8k kms on a 908 and ~4 on the 606 up front. I always plan to burn off two sets per season.

• Like 1

James 2021 Tenere 700 - Black