Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What tires will you run on your T-7?

Cruizin

I'm looking to swap to something else, but I can't decide! 

Needing something with some bite for the mud, but realistically I'm going to be doing 50/50 miles. Although I'd be willing to sacrifice road performance and tyre life for off-road.

I think I've settle on a choice between the AX41's and the Anakee Wilds.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences/thoughts?

Much appreciated, Mike

47 minutes ago, CReamflourish said:

I'm looking to swap to something else, but I can't decide! 

Needing something with some bite for the mud, but realistically I'm going to be doing 50/50 miles. Although I'd be willing to sacrifice road performance and tyre life for off-road.

I think I've settle on a choice between the AX41's and the Anakee Wilds.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences/thoughts?

Much appreciated, Mike

I've researched this quite a bit but no real world experience of any of the following.

I'm leaning towards:

Motaz Tractionator RallZ (get great reviews but very pricey)

Mitas E-09 or E-10 dakar. Generally great reviews but read one that says they're rubbish in mud - I don't believe it.

Michelin Anakee wilds

Good old tried and tested TKC80

Kenda big block K784

There are loads of others, but most only go up to 140 width and it changes the profile horribly when you try and squeeze over the wider T7 rim. There are lots of proper off road legal knobblies, but they need a narrower rim.

You can always find someone on the internet that says "these tyres are Shet, terrifying in the wet" etc., but I always take that with a pinch of salt. If you're used to riding on the road with knobblies, you'll have no trouble with any of them.

Rich

• Thanks 1

@Rich TT, just working through your list and reading some reviews - Tractionator's are now added to my shortlist! 

• Like 1

I have seen a couple of bad reports on the Tractionators with the casings falling apart but a lot of people have posted good reviews. I think i will be having the old TKC's  for my next trip. 

On 10/24/2018 at 1:03 PM, Godfather said:

I always liked the Mitas E-07 on my 640 Adv. Once whatever tire they deliver it with is run down I'll probably mount these again. Feels like a real 50/50 tire and it also lasts on tarmac

I have been checking this tire out on youtube - good reviews.  I have no practical experience with this tire.

cheers

-Bob

I have found the beads tough to get a 100% seal on with the E-07 dakar front.  Looking to get tires re-installed with bead sealant liberally used.

Took a pile of pressure and sitting in the sun to get the tires on the bead to begin with, but they leak around the whole circumference to the point where i need to air up every day.

505 Cheater Hybrids a soft sticky trials style rubber compound on a moto-style carcass

or

Equilibrium Trials meets Enduro in perfect harmony! The best qualities of a trials tire and motocross tire

I am thinking of putting a Motoz Tractionator Adventure rear tyre on my T7. You can get them in 2 options, tubeless or tube type the latter being about 1/3 less in price & when I look on there website they say the tube type is designed for the smaller adventure bikes up to ktm 690 with a lighter carcass. anyone used the tube type & what do you think of them ?

• 1 year later...
On 10/16/2018 at 6:13 AM, TavisB said:

This may have been the ride that finally made me give up on the 606.

Im wondering if the Guy on the Bike has anything to do with it.:)

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2020 at 9:57 AM, GPSAT said:

Dunlop 606 up front and 908 at the rear. I ride majority off road. Although the 606 wears weird, it still is a great front tire. 908 wears well on pavement for being an aggressive knobby. I will get 5-8k kms on a 908 and ~4 on the 606 up front. I always plan to burn off two sets per season.

what pressures are you running? i bought the same combo and my front has a wobble at 110 km/hr. 33psi front and 36 rear on tenere 700

Make sure your tire is balanced correctly first and that the front suspension is worked a fee times.before locking down the front axle. Your tire pressure is fine for highway. I run ~30 front 28 rear and a bit lower off road.

James 2021 Tenere 700 - Black