Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Soft luggage for oem racks?

Chim Richolds

I have OEM side pannier racks on my T7 and I'd like to have a set of soft luggage (in addition to my aluminum panniers) for more dirt oriented riding... use the aluminum cases for touring and grocery getting and use soft ones for multi-day adventure rides.  Is anyone familiar with soft luggage that is actually designed to work with the oem racks or otherwise familiar with ones that mount really easily?

• Members

I have the OEM racks an panniers and I picked up a set of Giant Loop Motortrekk soft bags. They mount up to the stock racks just fine. Giant loop recently increased the price 20 % and not sur ether are worth the current price. My 10 year old wolf man’s from my WR250R also fit. Is really like to get the giant loop mounting plates as the6 work with the OEM racks if you buy the right side BMW adaptor, but I have a harmd time dropping almost $4oo for simple mounting plates. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 8/13/2022 at 8:30 PM, RobR said:

I have the OEM racks an panniers and I picked up a set of Giant Loop Motortrekk soft bags. They mount up to the stock racks just fine. Giant loop recently increased the price 20 % and not sur ether are worth the current price. My 10 year old wolf man’s from my WR250R also fit. Is really like to get the giant loop mounting plates as the6 work with the OEM racks if you buy the right side BMW adaptor, but I have a harmd time dropping almost $4oo for simple mounting plates. 

Thanks for the comment. How did you mount the Giant Loop soft bags to the OEM rack? I'm thinking about doing this set up too.

• Members

Just use the mounting straps that come with the bag.  You can also purchase the adaptor plates, which I got for a deal on ebay.  The issue with the adaptors is that they won't work if you have the OEM hard case mounting HW (Givi) on the racks.  I wanted to switch between hard and soft bags but removing the Givi mounts is a pain in the ass.  So I just have to deal with 4 straps per side when I want to switch between hard and soft luggage.