thanks for sharing

cheers

-Bob

My first winter 2020/2021 project!

Edited by GPSAT
  • Like 1

James 2021 Tenere 700 - Black

• 3 months later...

seen this on the yam website tempted but not going to bother just now ill wait for reviews

I'm happy to try it out, who's going to buy it for me? 😁 Happy to report back how it works out. 👍

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I'll probably just respring the stock rear shock

Worth every penny 👍... 

• Like 3

The Ohlins shown is only the basic version, no high/low compression damping, so no real improvement over stock

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

I have this shock fitted to my T7 and the ride quality is a big improvement over stock. I'm a big guy at over 120kgs in my gear and needed to up-rate my springs, and the stock shock would have needed some valve work too to suit. This worked out a much better option and still have the original shock if I want to sell the bike to someone smaller.

Ohlins.thumb.jpg.f2e6d2e674f4b9e16d58563453c68c6a.jpg

The Ohlins 818 has remote preload that can be adjusted by hand while sitting on the bike, and rebound and compression adjustment that has a wide range of adjustability (to suit my weight) and can be adjusted without tools. It is also no heavier than the original shock. The price was reasonable too at 1030 Euro, or 860 Euro ex VAT for those outside Europe.

Ohlins2.thumb.jpg.59a8623bf6a65d176dcdfb5f34772e39.jpg

Ohlins gear is very high quality with many parts common across models, so all suspension shops will have spare parts and be able to service this shock. This funny video from 44Teeth highlights the quality and engineering that goes into Ohlins shocks. 

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I want to know why not any company writes suspension settings with luggage+passenger, just with luggage and just yourself...if they write tyre pressure they can write suspantion settings also and they can seperate asphalt and gravel settings...because lots of people have no idea what will do with these settings...someone should help people...ı need a video tell the preload rebound and compression things show with animation...if ı watch working ı can understand settings....and there is italian airtender rear suspention is it better than ohlins ? 

On 5/21/2020 at 9:42 AM, Ktmmitch said:

The Ohlins shown is only the basic version, no high/low compression damping, so no real improvement over stock

What a BlaBla answer from someone who should know better. Answers like this either come from haters or people who want to sell something different.

From many Bikes that I owned and upgraded, I can confirm that Öhlins schocks are best in class, and are always (if sprung right) a big improvement over average stock suspension, which the Tenere has. Independent if the are fully adjustable or not. This is also true for most other high quality suspension vendors. I might want to exclude WP, where IMHO only the very high-priced supensions are really good and on pair with Öhlins, Tractive & Co.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Gezgin Endurocu said:

I want to know why not any company writes suspension settings with luggage+passenger, just with luggage and just yourself...if they write tyre pressure they can write suspantion settings also and they can seperate asphalt and gravel settings...because lots of people have no idea what will do with these settings...someone should help people...ı need a video tell the preload rebound and compression things show with animation...if ı watch working ı can understand settings....and there is italian airtender rear suspention is it better than ohlins ? 

I'm working exactly on this with help of some smart suspension people 😉 Loads of work, and it probably won't fit in a single video so we're thinking doing a series about the suspension with a goal to maximize use of stock suspension or introducing minimal changes for maximum value.

I don't think you need spend a lot of money to make stock suspension work really good for my RTW traveling, it is good.

• Like 4

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

18 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I have this shock fitted to my T7 and the ride quality is a big improvement over stock. I'm a big guy at over 120kgs in my gear and needed to up-rate my springs, and the stock shock would have needed some valve work too to suit. This worked out a much better option and still have the original shock if I want to sell the bike to someone smaller.

Ohlins.thumb.jpg.f2e6d2e674f4b9e16d58563453c68c6a.jpg

The Ohlins 818 has remote preload that can be adjusted by hand while sitting on the bike, and rebound and compression adjustment that has a wide range of adjustability (to suit my weight) and can be adjusted without tools. It is also no heavier than the original shock. The price was reasonable too at 1030 Euro, or 860 Euro ex VAT for those outside Europe.

Ohlins2.thumb.jpg.59a8623bf6a65d176dcdfb5f34772e39.jpg

Ohlins gear is very high quality with many parts common across models, so all suspension shops will have spare parts and be able to service this shock. This funny video from 44Teeth highlights the quality and engineering that goes into Ohlins shocks. 

Just about to get the Ohlins shock myself, have you got the ohlins internals for up front as well? Keen to hear thoughts on those to if you have.... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dibles said:

Just about to get the Ohlins shock myself, have you got the ohlins internals for up front as well? Keen to hear thoughts on those to if you have.... 

No, the Ohlins cartridge kit wasn't available when I ordered the shock, so I opted just for the Hyperpro progressive fork springs. The stiffer progressive springs have made a big difference to the way the bike rides and eliminates dive under brakes. There is still some harshness in the front compared to the rear shock, but I am pretty happy with the way the bike is setup. I can always come back to the cartridges later if I still think I need them.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 5/23/2020 at 12:50 PM, Gezgin Endurocu said:

There are so many factors that go into suspension set-up. The stock stuff has a narrow window as far as rider weight, I'm surprised they even publish any setting recommendations. *If* you happen to be a rider that falls within the weight they have the bike set-up from the factory for, then they can make some very general guidelines for settings but they aren't going to be perfect. If you're out of the weight range, then the recommendations mean nothing. Add a passenger, forget it. A passenger AND luggage, no way. On road/off-road... what off-road? Some people consider a graded gravel road as "off-road". Chris Birch's off-road is something completely different.

Everything is a compromise. You can't have an amazing set-up for solo riding that also works great once you add another person (+/- 150lbs) and gear (+/- 50lbs). That's like suggesting a bike can be simultaneously set-up well for a 150lbs rider and a 350lbs rider using the same springs and valving. Messing with the preload adjuster and clickers all you want, it might get a bit better but it's far from good. Adding to that, all the extra weight is behind the center of the bike so it affects the the shock a lot and the forks very little. 

I have mine set-up to be stellar for me plus 10lbs of tools/spares but there's just enough adjustment to cover the trips with a full load of camping gear and tools. Even with that, I'm not riding nearly as hard or fast with all the gear as the bike simply doesn't handle the same with it as without.

If you really want to know suspension works, the effect of spring rate, preload, fork oil level, clicker adjustments, oil weight, rake, trail, offset, etc, get a copy of "Motorcycle Suspension Bible". It's written by Lee Parks and Paul Thede (of Race Tech). It's a bit dry to read but it has a ton of good info in it.

Available as an eBook here: 

Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible by Paul Thede; Lee Parks and Publisher Motorbooks. Save up to 80% by choosing the eTextbook option for ISBN: 9781610591669, 1610591666. The print version of this textbook is ISBN: 9780760331408, 0760331405.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

There are so many factors that go into suspension set-up. The stock stuff has a narrow window as far as rider weight, I'm surprised they even publish any setting recommendations. *If* you happen to be a rider that falls within the weight they have the bike set-up from the factory for, then they can make some very general guidelines for settings but they aren't going to be perfect. If you're out of the weight range, then the recommendations mean nothing. Add a passenger, forget it. A passenger AND luggage, no way. On road/off-road... what off-road? Some people consider a graded gravel road as "off-road". Chris Birch's off-road is something completely different.

Everything is a compromise. You can't have an amazing set-up for solo riding that also works great once you add another person (+/- 150lbs) and gear (+/- 50lbs). That's like suggesting a bike can be simultaneously set-up well for a 150lbs rider and a 350lbs rider using the same springs and valving. Messing with the preload adjuster and clickers all you want, it might get a bit better but it's far from good. Adding to that, all the extra weight is behind the center of the bike so it affects the the shock a lot and the forks very little. 

I have mine set-up to be stellar for me plus 10lbs of tools/spares but there's just enough adjustment to cover the trips with a full load of camping gear and tools. Even with that, I'm not riding nearly as hard or fast with all the gear as the bike simply doesn't handle the same with it as without.

If you really want to know suspension works, the effect of spring rate, preload, fork oil level, clicker adjustments, oil weight, rake, trail, offset, etc, get a copy of "Motorcycle Suspension Bible". It's written by Lee Parks and Paul Thede (of Race Tech). It's a bit dry to read but it has a ton of good info in it.

Available as an eBook here: 

Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible by Paul Thede; Lee Parks and Publisher Motorbooks. Save up to 80% by choosing the eTextbook option for ISBN: 9781610591669, 1610591666. The print version of this textbook is ISBN: 9780760331408, 0760331405.

Yes you are right what you write and ı respect your business and watch your video you really spend too much effort this job...actually if we dont push hard on the asphalt or especially gravel standart setups are ok everytime...but if ı want to ride fast on the gravel with or without luggage or get into trail things with heavy bike it is getting worse and bumpy with standart setups ,especially if you want to push on gravel we need better and quality things, its all about what do you want to do maybe one day ı can learn how suspention works 😁

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I've had an Ohlins rear shock on order since June for one of my other ADV bikes.

Since the T700 is going to be my primary off road ADV bike. I canceled the order for the other bike and switched it over to the T700. I'll just put the RR 95kg spring on the stock shock until the Ohlins arrives.

ETA is sometime in December.

• 2 weeks later...

The question will be how does it compare to the Rally-Raid/Tractive Suspension Rally/Adventure/Extreme shocks. The former of which also nets you 30mm more travel. Especially for riding fast on rocky or non-graded roads and the bad corrugated ripio you get in South America. 

Doubt anyone will have tried both, it would be nice to have a comparison before parting with hard earned cash. 

10 hours ago, Mikedefieslife said:

The question will be how does it compare to the Rally-Raid/Tractive Suspension Rally/Adventure/Extreme shocks. The former of which also nets you 30mm more travel. Especially for riding fast on rocky or non-graded roads and the bad corrugated ripio you get in South America. 

Doubt anyone will have tried both, it would be nice to have a comparison before parting with hard earned cash. 

The Ohlins STX46 Shock is not a direct comparison to the Rally Raid Extreme (OEM length) or Rally version (plus 30mm travel) in that the Ohlins has just single compression adjustment, whereas the RR has separated high and low speed damping adjustment, plus twin piston PDS to give the ability to absorb big hits over rough terrain very well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 6:52 PM, REDHORSECA said:

I've had an Ohlins rear shock on order since June for one of my other ADV bikes.

Since the T700 is going to be my primary off road ADV bike. I canceled the order for the other bike and switched it over to the T700. I'll just put the RR 95kg spring on the stock shock until the Ohlins arrives.

ETA is sometime in December.

Who did you order through and what size spring did you spec?  Only site I've seen list the available spring rates showed 90 or 100nm.  I've got the 95nm now on teh OEM and wouldn't want any less.  Could do the 100 though.

J

• 2 months later...

So what option would be the best for a road bike like mine... Stock travel is fine I weigh around 110kg in stock and have the rr spring at the moment... I won't need off road capability but I would like to consider a rear shock to improve the stock one... Opinions are welcome... 

Attached picture so we know we are talking about road bike.. 

Aleks 

20201011123232_IMG_1848 (1).jpg

On 1/10/2021 at 2:51 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

So what option would be the best for a road bike like mine... Stock travel is fine I weigh around 110kg in stock and have the rr spring at the moment... I won't need off road capability but I would like to consider a rear shock to improve the stock one... Opinions are welcome... 

Attached picture so we know we are talking about road bike.. 

Aleks 

20201011123232_IMG_1848 (1).jpg

IMHO You are a firm candidate for a front respring and revalve. Don't need fancy stuff for tarmac riding, just a good suspension shop that revalves the fork for the operating window that is gonna be used. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powder said:

IMHO You are a firm candidate for a front respring and revalve. Don't need fancy stuff for tarmac riding, just a good suspension shop that revalves the fork for the operating window that is gonna be used. 

I have front spring from a ktech, rated at 6.4nm I think... 👍 

I’ve had Ohlins rear shocks on a few ADV bikes in the past and they are a quality product, very good performance. I’ve also used Wilber on a GS which was very good too, but the Ohlins was better. 

Everyone’s got an opinion on suspension, The simple fact is suspension is a bit of a minefield, you’ll always get a slightly different answer to a question, depending who you ask, so its difficult to come to a conclusion on what you want as sometimes the advice you get has some bias based on selling a certain product to you and often you don’t get the suspension setup that suits your riding style or particular use. 

The only real way to decide what’s best is for an independent party or individual to get suspension from all the companies that make a kit for the T7 and test them all alongside each other, on the same road route and same offroad route. That’s clearly unlikely to ever happen, so each of us just have to choose based on our own research. 

My conclusion based on experience from 39 years riding motorcycles is, you generally get what you pay for, buy cheap, buy twice. Any of the aftermarket kits is better than the standard oem kit, so it really boils down to what your budget is and how unhappy you are with the standard setup. 

Best Bang for Buck is new springs rated for your weight, makes a big difference for not a lot of money. 

Edited by Alf Meister
  • Like 4