Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ohlins STX 46 Adventure Shock Absorber YA 818

Tenerecosse

3 hours ago, Alf Meister said:

I’ve had Ohlins rear shocks on a few ADV bikes in the past and they are a quality product, very good performance. I’ve also used Wilber on a GS which was very good too, but the Ohlins was better. 

Everyone’s got an opinion on suspension, The simple fact is suspension is a bit of a minefield, you’ll always get a slightly different answer to a question, depending who you ask, so its difficult to come to a conclusion on what you want as sometimes the advice you get has some bias based on selling a certain product to you and often you don’t get the suspension setup that suits your riding style or particular use. 

The only real way to decide what’s best is for an independent party or individual to get suspension from all the companies that make a kit for the T7 and test them all alongside each other, on the same road route and same offroad route. That’s clearly unlikely to ever happen, so each of us just have to choose based on our own research. 

My conclusion based on experience from 39 years riding motorcycles is, you generally get what you pay for, buy cheap, buy twice. Any of the aftermarket kits is better than the standard oem kit, so it really boils down to what your budget is and how unhappy you are with the standard setup. 

Best Bang for Buck is new springs rated for your weight, makes a big difference for not a lot of money. 

Thank you for the answer, I already have the spring and I am happy with how the bike handles at the moment... I've got front spring as well to match my weight and a bit harder for the 17 inch wheels. 

I am just wondering if a unit for street riding only will do a better job or the stock unit with spring to suit my weight is good enough for my street carving, I ride alone and usually no luggage. 

Aleks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 5:51 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

Thank you for the answer, I already have the spring and I am happy with how the bike handles at the moment... I've got front spring as well to match my weight and a bit harder for the 17 inch wheels. 

I am just wondering if a unit for street riding only will do a better job or the stock unit with spring to suit my weight is good enough for my street carving, I ride alone and usually no luggage. 

Aleks 

The spring itself is just one part of the suspension which holds your weight, if you want a specific behaviour for street riding you will need to revalve to modify the hydraulics. Changing the springs is not enough. 

Do not spend the big buck on hi spec brands, they all come set up for a specific use and it might be different to your use (I know this well owning Tractive front and rear suspension).  Revalve the stock material to suit your riding and you'll be more than happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powder said:

The spring itself is just one part of the suspension which holds your weight, if you want a specific behaviour for street riding you will need to revalve to modify the hydraulics. Changing the springs is not enough. 

Do not spend the big buck on hi spec brands, they all come set up for a specific use and it might be different to your use (I know this well owning Tractive front and rear suspension).  Revalve the stock material to suit your riding and you'll be more than happy.

Thank you this will be the best answer I presume... Would you have an idea of cost to revalve the rear shock? 

Aleks 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thank you this will be the best answer I presume... Would you have an idea of cost to revalve the rear shock? 

Aleks 

That depends on the shop, but assume full rebuild with bushings, piston and custom valving ~250€. 

I think anyways the front has more work to be done that the rear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunate to live next to a suspension shop listed on Ohlins dealer list.

Ordered a Ya 818 yesterday in person ,without the hydraulic preload adjuster set up with a 90 n mm  spring.

Hopefully it will get here faster than my PDP ordered bike did.

Edited by gone2seed
  • Like 2