Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Red Mamut luggage

Alf Meister

Has anyone got any experience with Red Mamut X-Duro 36L or U-Bag Adventure 8oL luggage. It looks like a great bit of kit and prices are much more affordable than the very expensive Reckless bags. Has anyone in the UK managed to buy it, as it would appear they do not sell or ship to the UK. 

DAAD17A9-7058-409A-A51F-AFE06ED2E375.jpeg

A3B3429C-04AC-49CB-A830-D1FFF3907232.jpeg

57AEA1B0-7323-4B0A-921A-2ADFD3C75AF9.jpeg

271E798F-7EFF-421C-9C96-013FE2582FB4.jpeg

FD7F6D88-0915-4C2C-8D0F-61464A68368D.jpeg

BB6C6042-E8F5-43F7-AF09-EFC7FBAD5D2E.jpeg

Edited by Alf Meister

Are you planning on crashing? I know, no-one is planning on it but with offroading it's not the question IF you crash but how many times.
Saving money can be costly. They look very similar to the Mosko Moto but will the durability also be similar?
I know for a fact that Mosko Moto often will survive many crashes and often not even leave a mark.
Just like tyres a big mistake that many people make is just looking at the purchase price and not to the combination of price and lifespan.
If something is 3/4 of the price but has only halve of the lifespan it's not a 4th cheaper but a 4th more expensive.

I have looked at mosko moto and with a discount they are more competitive in price. Just saw the Red Mamut bags and thought they were a good alternative. I don’t plan on crashing, but obviously there is always a chance of that happening. I’m more likely to lay the bike down due to its weight whilst manoeuvring (managed to do that the first week I had the bike when I stalled it doing a stationary U turn 🤦‍♂️ 😳 😃). 

The thing is Ray, that’s all fine as long as baggage isn’t massively overpriced to start. Which unfortunately, it mostly is. I have kreiga. Great kit. But a bag worth £120+? None of them are. “you get what you pay for” just doesn’t cut it. It’s not like they have to pay fortunes to go through tough official tests like helmets etc.
I wish I was in the textile business. I’d have retired by now. 🍺

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 3

I got the Red Mamut X-Duro side 2x12l bags with an Adventure center 20l bag.

They had no problem accommodating my mix of their kit and delivery to near Berlin was quick.

It is certainly well made and sturdy. The PVC base is stiff but well padded underneath and the strap down attachment points are reinforced with short metal bars. The material used on the outside pouches is thick abrasive resistant canvas with a smooth coated lining on the inside and an extra layer on the bottom edge most prone to damage laying it down.

The bags themselves are made out thick rubberized canvas and the bottoms have an extra layer glued/welded on. Almost to thick as rolling them shut is difficult the first few times but certainly waterproof. I only encountered short stints of rain but all stayed dry.

I have them mounted over the rear seat, a good bit further than in their photos so that the side bags cover the side cover of the bike. It fits really snugly and firmly. I hardly noticed it on a 2200km trip, no hard core off-road but some rough patches, nothing came loose, nothing broke.

The main buckles are metal and the others sturdy plastic, it all straps down well with neat little solutions to tuck away the surplus straps and many options to attach other bags/rolls/nets.

The only mistake I made was not getting the full Adventure kit as the 12l side bags are rather small and positioned as I have it there is ample space to the exhaust. On the other hand it disciplines me to travel light.

Unloading for the night works great, bags slip out nicely even in the wet. The straps for the center bag detach quickly and the side pockets can be strapped down for a quick trip without luggage and with the 4 main straps also quick to unload completely, which I have to do to get to my tools under the rally seat, also not much of a problem for me.

Good quality for a fair price, IMHO not cheap in both aspects and suits my needs well. Also buying local and directly played into my decision. Using a translate app to make a Polish copy to add to my emails made the conversation easier and fun. Hope they do ship to the UK, I'd guess Brexit has made it more complicated but try contact them directly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dougie said:

The thing is Ray, that’s all fine as long as baggage isn’t massively overpriced to start. Which unfortunately, it mostly is. I have kreiga. Great kit. But a bag worth £120+? None of them are. “you get what you pay for” just doesn’t cut it. It’s not like they have to pay fortunes to go through tough official tests like helmets etc.
I wish I was in the textile business. I’d have retired by now. 🍺

Your not wrong there Dougie. All this luggage seems to be a bit too pricey for what you get and when you consider where its made (probably china, equals low production prices). Mosko Moto don’t even offer group discounts or club/forum discounts, unlike many other companies. I’m sure its good kit, but I do kinda get the feeling  we the consumer are being fleeced by many companies in the current climate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

probably china

Mosko Moto doesn't hide where it's made, cutting and sowing is done in Vietnam and assembly in the USA.