Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MotoZ Trac. Rear Adv vs RallZ?

Husafreak

Yup, tires again... Has anyone compared these? I need a more dirt worthy setup for upcoming BDR type adventures but still, I'm mostly riding twisty roads and I won't be changing tires to suit the rides. I like to ride fun roads and be able to get on and off trails when it looks like reasonable sport.

For me the stock Pirelli up front is kinda scary in loose dirt and rocks so I ordered a Dunlop Trailmax Mission front. I think everyone agrees about that.

Now for the rear. I'm leaning toward the MotoZ Tractionator Adventure 150/70-18 but with a tube stuffed inside. I'm not sure I want to go tubeless. Hopefully that is OK to do. I know people do it. The RallZ is more dirt oriented and it is super popular but I just want enough capability to get by on BDR level riding and still have a fun bike to run around on the road. I haven't read anything about having a "balanced" pair of tires. Like is 50/50 tires front and rear better than mixing a 50/50 with a 20/80 (hopefully I got that right). I will definitely be riding conservatively on dirt. Comes with age. So maybe I don't need a really aggressive rear tire? My last bike was a KTM EXC450 and I did not enjoy riding it on pavement, like dual sport rides with pavement sections, so I don't want to make my T7 like that! But if you guys think the RallZ is as good on pavement as the Adventure and better on dirt maybe that is the way to go?

Thanks

• Moderators

I can only offer feedback on the RallZ, haven't tried their Adventure model yet.  I got over 6,600 trouble free miles out of my 150/70/18 and it probably would've gone another 500, but pushing tires to the end has bit me before so I change them sooner than later. The noise level is " acceptable " to me, others might not like it, but it's superb in the dirt/gravel/rocks and does a really decent job on pavement.  Granted it doesn't give the confidence of the oem Pirellies on pavement,  but is a really good ( and spendy) dual purpose tire.  Someone should be along to offer insight on the Adventure,  which I might try if I'm planning more slab than dirt.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I recently put a 140/80/18 Rallz on for the B2B. So far 3000km of tar and dirt. I have been using the Scorpion Rally in the same size and I feel the Motoz is a better tyre ( for me ).

I don't do much tar exclusive riding and am more than happy with the handling, noise, and off road grip of the Rallz.

If  get another 1000 - 1500km out of it I will be even happier.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• Moderators

If your a dirt biased rider definitely go with the RallZ, nothing but good things to say about its on-road performance.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 1 month later...

Hey Husafreak - did you ever get more opinions about using a 50/50 up front with a  20/80 on the back?  I did this on another bike I have, briefly, and didn't like it much: the front (TKC80 90/90/21) slid more at speed on pavement than the rear, and I never got used to that much understeer on a bike.  On the trail, the 17" Battlax AT41  spun sideways way too easily. I couldn't trust it to push when it got steep.  

No, I think just about everyone (and especially everyone in the industry) matches front to rear types. I ended up buying a RallZ because a guy that sells them and does internet reviews told my there was a noticeable difference between the Adventure and RallZ. But I haven’t mounted it yet, still running the stock Scorpion. I got the 150, expensive tire that. I did put a Dunlop Trailmax Mission on the front and I was glad to have it there on a recent dual sport ride. I think for most road riding and casual off-road the Missions would be great. Still need to pick a front tire to go with the RallZ rear for big dirt rides like the BDR.

• Like 1

The Rallz grip a bit better than the adventures, but get far less mileage, so that's really the choice you're making.  On road they're very similar tires, kind of loud but they're knobbies.

A good middle ground is the Motoz GPS tires.  They get upwards of 12,000 miles per set, and start out with an insane tread depth (13mm on the rear iirc) but have a solid center band for silent road riding.  That costs you a bit offroad vs. the pure knobby Rallz/Adventures, however.

Basically: GPS 50/50, Adventure 30/70, Rallz 20/80.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my Rallz front ordered and looking for a rear.  The Adventure and Rallz tread patterns sure don't look very different, are they different durometers?  I'm inclined to go with an Adventure for the mileage, but interested in and real world experience users of this forum may have between the two.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:19 AM, e010584 said:

Got my Rallz front ordered and looking for a rear.  The Adventure and Rallz tread patterns sure don't look very different, are they different durometers?  I'm inclined to go with an Adventure for the mileage, but interested in and real world experience users of this forum may have between the two.

The Rallz is very significantly softer.  

The Adventure and GPS tires are both very hard tires, specifically for high mileage.  The Rallz have slightly larger spacing between the knobs than the Adventures, but much more significantly if you feel them side by side the difference is very obvious.  The Rallz are MUCH softer.  

The Rallz are an *extremely* good tire, but unlike the Adventures and GPS tires, you're going to be changing them often.  

• Like 1

Definitely could have used them on yesterday's ride with lots of mud on the AZBDR from recent snow melt.

DSCN3198.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 9:19 AM, e010584 said:

When you put on your Rallz front tire and then go 85mph, don’t scream to loud.  Lol. 

• Like 2

When I was shopping tires I called a guy who does a lot of you tube videos and sells them. He basically said there was no substitute for the Rallz rear but recommended pairing it with a Dualventure front.

Edited by Husafreak
  • Like 3

On 1/5/2023 at 11:40 AM, Husafreak said:

When I was shopping tires I called a guy who does a lot of you tube videos and sells them. He basically said there was no substitute for the Rallz rear but recommended pairing it with a Dualventure front.

I guess I caught the word on the front tire too late.  I'll give it a go but perhaps it'll move to the WR.

• 9 months later...

thanks for this thread, I was looking to make my mind on my next set as will (still on stock) I think I will go with the RallZ out back and the Dualventure up front ... although I would love to try the motoz Desert, I know they are loud on road but very capable offroad. I kinda would like to try the full offroad capacity of the Tenere.   

• 4 weeks later...

+1 on the GPS's.   Went Upstate NY to Prudhoe Bay and back (10k miles) and still have a little less than half the life left.  Insane.