Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Is cooler exhaust really possible?

c5turbo

I'm in AZ, so scorching hot even before all the heat coming off the bike starts. Wondering if deleting the cat really makes it noticeably cooler? Thinking of just removing it and maybe heat wrapping the pipe, but keeping stock header and muffler to keep it somewhat quiet. But not worth the effort if it's not going to run any cooler. Any other ideas to keep the bikes heat away from me?

Edited by c5turbo

My HP Corse SP-1 Short stays really cool. I can touch any part of the muffler any time. Might be a solution for you. It's not loud, AFAIK it's even less loud than the OEM exhaust (but sounds much better).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

My HP Corse SP-1 Short stays really cool. I can touch any part of the muffler any time. Might be a solution for you. It's not loud, AFAIK it's even less loud than the OEM exhaust (but sounds much better).

Yes it's weird isn't it.  I ran mine up to 90 degrees-C yesterday and touched the can and it was barely warm, the connecting pipe below though was red hot.  +1 for the HP course Ti pipe

• Like 1

Yep, 100% possible. The cat requires and retains massive heat energy to function correctly. Once that is removed and a carbon muffler is installed, much move of the heat is spat out the muffler instead of radiating to your motor, cooling system and legs.

8 hours ago, c5turbo said:

I'm in AZ, so scorching hot even before all the heat coming off the bike starts. Wondering if deleting the cat really makes it noticeably cooler? Thinking of just removing it and maybe heat wrapping the pipe, but keeping stock header and muffler to keep it somewhat quiet. But not worth the effort if it's not going to run any cooler. Any other ideas to keep the bikes heat away from me?

You can get the exhaust cooler but the engine will not run cooler.
The cat does it's job because of heat, that's why you should never park a car on dry grass and if you have a driveway with 2 tracks and space in between where weeds can grow you have to maintain it. Many cars got on fire because of that.

The headers will always be quite hot too so if you want those cooler you have the coat or wrap them.

I hear you man! I learned to fly the Air Force way at Williams In the 80’s. Imagine walking out to your jet in 115 degrees with helmet, boots, gloves, protective suit… Oh wait, every rider dresses like that, LOL. Anywhooo…

I returned home yesterday into 109 degrees and heavy slow commuter traffic. Phoenix hot! I was noticing the heat coming off the motor cases most bothered me. Mostly on the right side. Which could just be the clutch or the exhaust heat coming up between the the pipe and skid plate. I have put a set of Altrider pegs and AXP skid plate on. The good news is that the pegs are really wide which I thought was overkill at first but it allowed me to move my boots out an inch further from the cases which was a relief. Maybe try some wide pegs?

• Like 1