Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

the great tyre debate

Jason

Howdy folks, 

So I am in need of tyres once again. I had a set of AX41 tyres on but after a measly 1200km the rear needs changing again. Front is still good but the rear needs to go asap. So I ask you guys, what do you recommend? 

Riding is off-road but there is definitely some road thrown in to get around. I'd say realistically my riding is 50/50 and so a true 50/50 tyre is needed. I actually thought the AX41 was brilliant and fit the bill however it does wear crazy fast (and they aren't exactly cheap). 

So I ask the great folks here what are your recommendations? I live in Ireland too and we are headed for winter, so must be a decent cold weather tyre on top of everything else

I've narrowed things down to the following 

Mitas E09

Michelin Anakee Wild
Pirelli Scorpion Rally (Not the STR that comes with the bike)

Metzeler Karoo

AX41 (again)

Here's a link to a video I made of my quick local loop after work last night. Give you an idea of the terrain

https://youtu.be/R54YHrnBHuI

I would say the Anakee Wild but also not chaep and in that case the E09 would also do well and wit that i think the E10 for the front. The E13 front will do good in the soft but don't feel right on hard surfaces like compacted sand, gravel and asphalt.
For that offroad terrain there are better tyres but that come with a price you pay on the paved parts.

42 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I would say the Anakee Wild but also not chaep and in that case the E09 would also do well and wit that i think the E10 for the front. The E13 front will do good in the soft but don't feel right on hard surfaces like compacted sand, gravel and asphalt.
For that offroad terrain there are better tyres but that come with a price you pay on the paved parts.

Cheers Ray, the e09 is definitely high on the list. The front AX41 is still good so I’d pair it with this for now, I don’t think it would be an issue 🤔

I've said it before; my go-tos are Pirelli Scorpion Rally ( not STR ) front and rear . I have recently use a Rallz 148-80 and actually prefer it to the Scorpion. Still think the front is the go if you do any dirt riding. They behave reasonably on the tar as well.

I used to use the E09 and E10 on the F8GS rear. Mainly because the F8 had 17" rear which limits the choice in off road tyres.

Edited by Rider 101

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 1 month later...

I'm on a quest for tyres and in that quest i'm trying different sets and with the next set being mounted next week i think it may be nice to get a overview from the last year.
The current tyres are the Mitas E07 with the + version in the rear. A rim conversion is still too pricey so i run the OEM sizes.
At the moment the E07 are on for just over 7200km. I ride more onroad as i want but try to get of the black stuff as much as possible, on average i think i get some 40% offroad thanks to a nice bit on my daily commute from work back home.
Before this set i ran the Anakee Wild on my big trip to the North Cape from home to the North Cape over Norway and via Finland to Tallinn where i had to change those after 6000km. That was mainly because Norway was mostly paved (The TET was too much east from my route).
I started the trip with a fresh set and took a set Mitas E09Dakar rear with E13 front off with 2200km on and i guess they could last another 1000km.
This set i keep as a spare for now as i don;t like the E13 front, the E09 Dakar feels a bit towards the Anakee Wild.
Before that i also had the Anakee Wild and on my regular rides (commute and TET NL) the rear last about 4500km and front can manage with a little stretch double that.
I really like the Anakee Wild but with these kilometers and 20 to 25.000 a year it is a costly one (also do about 15k a year on my Crosstourer).
My quest therefore is to find i good mix between average handling in different conditions and durability.
Next is the Heidenau K60 Ranger i ordered at the same time when i ordered the Anakee Wild before my trip but they arrived after i got back.
After this set i want to go for the Dunlop D908 rear and not sure yet for the front but it's gonna be the D606 or the Pirelli MT21.

• 1 month later...

MOTOZ Tractionator Adventure

Big mileage, robust construction and great on and off road performance for your Africa Twin, GS or KTM Adventure.

This tyres last the longest have the deepest tread best value best when u get off road better in every way and its not on your list 

7667B02E-B760-4A72-B69B-7AC2041EECDF.jpeg

4 hours ago, Nick world raid said:

This tyres last the longest have the deepest tread best value best when u get off road better in every way and its not on your list 

7667B02E-B760-4A72-B69B-7AC2041EECDF.jpeg

I am running the Motoz Rallz tires! They are awesome! 4000miles and have a ton of tread left! 20201215_114851.jpg.cf641f12f6f0fae946a65d6535a3cf25.jpg

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

I am running the Motoz Rallz tires! They are awesome! 4000miles and have a ton of tread left! 20201215_114851.jpg.cf641f12f6f0fae946a65d6535a3cf25.jpg

Curious as to your rear tread depth remaining and the type of terrain you ride.  My current RallZ started out with 16/32" of center tread depth and 3,000 miles of AZ rocks have whittled it down to 9/32".  My last rear ( changed out early for a long trip) lasted 6,656 miles with 4/32" remaining, but probably had another 500 +miles left in it. My expectation is I'll probably again get 6,500 miles out of the current one.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

Curious as to your rear tread depth remaining and the type of terrain you ride.  My current RallZ started out with 16/32" of centout read depth and 3,000 miles of AZ rocks have whittled it down to 9/32".  My last rear ( changed out earlrearr a long trip) lasted 6,656 miles with 4/32" remaining, but probably had another 500 +miles left in it. My expectation is I'll probably again get 6,500 miles out of the current one.

I get a measurement tomorrow! I ride gravel and sandy terrain! I love the rallz tires! I have tractionator ADV tires on my Beta 500RR-S! 

• Like 1

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

I get a measurement tomorrow! I ride gravel and sandy terrain! I love the rallz tires! I have tractionator ADV tires on my Beta 500RR-S! 

Mine too!

20190731_123804_IMG_2983.JPG.f7d40abf188945255ad92c4953e66858.JPG

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The ADV work good on Gravel but not on the Hard pack on our trails here in Southern Oregon! 

20191109_124734.jpg

Like i mentioned earlier in this post the Heidenau K60 Ranger is next up to try and i have them fitted for almost 500km and the first impression is a good one.
Good grip on asphalt between +12C and -10C and also in the rain, they got me trough mud and seem to have good traction on hard packed.
In the mushy leaf packed wet forest it's the same like every other tyre because nothing will grip there.
The numbers i've seen about longevity are also good and i think i could be giving feedback in loose sand after winter.
After these i want to test the Dunlop D908 rear with a D606 or Pirelli M21 front.
In June a hope i can do a 1 and a halve week trip to the Serbian TET which will be a round trip for close to 5000km, about 3000 asphalt to get there and back home and 2000 rocky offroad.