Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How can i wheelie on my T7 advice

Ender

• Moderators

@Ender Here ya go, from one of the best. You can search also for Pol Tarres, who is a master T7 rider, but I get a severe case of incompetence after watching his stuff. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I do rolling wheelies by using 2nd gear at about 3k rpms them just stab the throttle comes right up. Gently cover the rear break until you find the balance point.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Ender Here ya go, from one of the best. You can search also for Pol Tarres, who is a master T7 rider, but I get a severe case of incompetence after watching his stuff. 😉

Not wrong there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dirtbandit said:

2. vitesi yaklaşık 3k rpm'de kullanarak tekerlekli tekerlekler yapıyorum, sadece gaz kelebeği yukarı geliyor. Denge noktasını bulana kadar arka arayı nazikçe kapatın.  

@ender Remember the throttle and rear brake are your friend, just be careful with too much rear brake. Takes practice , but in my opinion these bikes are very easy to do wheelies on and have good balance .

Edited by Dirtbandit
  • Like 1

Learning to wheelie, with 450 pound motorcycle!!!

Post videos....

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 hour ago, Hibobb said:

Learning to wheelie, with 450 pound motorcycle!!!

Post videos....

Haha.  Would like to see the videos as well.  

Can't wheelie anymore BUT I built a street fighter years ago to learn. Gsxr1100m.   The best way I found was to use the clutch. Its more controllable than using the throttle as using the throttle can go bad fast. When it comes up you tend to hang onto the gas and it just climbs faster and faster.

Mid range revs and hit gas while popping the clutch. Experiment with amount of revs and throttle until it starts to climb enough. 

But if its just little power wheelies then throttle is ok but 700 is a bit weak for those. Shutting and opening ie chopping throttle is going to bring pain. 

Used to be able to do 90 mph stand ups.

Edited by Redbikejohn
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

😨 this is the bike you want to learn to wheelie on??! omg. If you already knew how to wheelie then 100% you wouldnt be asking this question, so here is some advice: buy a small pit-bike, learn how to wheelie that thing to the point that you could ride it without a front tire. Once you have done that you will be able to transfer your skills to any other motorcycle on the planet.

• Like 2

This isn't about doing wheelies as much is it's about popping the front wheel to avoid obstacles.  A good training exercise I thought.

• Like 2

Hasn’t been back since this question- hopefully not a result of a failed attempt

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just as well we post mostly for our own benefit hey 😄

Yes, hopeful ender is still scampering around the hills.

3:42 am, time for a quick shower and then a ride on the pushie.  Love my early morning rides in the dark, seeing paddocks full of glowing cows eyes.  Had a bloody heatwave here of late Lewie and it's been a killer.

• Like 2

Flippin freezing here - I’ll be out tomorrow around 8am for a cycle down the coast - trying to turn back the years 

8A9959A3-F69F-4379-BC23-8791CFA1DC37.jpeg

• Like 3

Yesterday my first wheelie, just on the throttle when leaving at the traffic lights.
Gonna go and practice a bit more soon. I'm not a real wheelie guy but that's mostly because i often went too far on the BMX when i still was a kid.
Hopping the wheel over a hole or obstacle is no problem and that's the most useful.

Had the wheel come loose already often but cut the gas always right away but this time i left it open and did a small wheelie.
It's quite easy with this bike.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lewie said:

Flippin freezing here - I’ll be out tomorrow around 8am for a cycle down the coast - trying to turn back the years 

Yeah, we do what we can.  It gets cold in winter here too Lewie, sub zero-C sometimes.  I ride in it, what else can you do but thankfully no snow or black ice. 

I must take a photo on my morning rides, I'm into photography, another hobby, but I'll just use the phone.  My lighting setup is pretty comprehensive now so I should be able to get some nice snaps.  At least of road signs glowing in the distance.  LiPOs and Cree Leds, great tech for little applications. 

LI-02.jpg.4eb4ef4d8b422c769750417fcf092f84.jpg

LI-04.jpg.f8a4e72df026ac6cdf1ba3555c501922.jpgLI-06.jpg.c3ac5957cd544baea5ca6d9e55bd8258.jpg

LI-09.jpg.3c4363b125ff05a7762a4dade5f53612.jpg

Edited by winddown

• Moderators

Dang, that's quite the setup. Kinda looks like Johnny 5?

91wh0t1NswL._AC_UL800_QL65_.jpg

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 3/17/2023 at 12:40 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

Yesterday my first wheelie, just on the throttle when leaving at the traffic lights.
Gonna go and practice a bit more soon. I'm not a real wheelie guy but that's mostly because i often went too far on the BMX when i still was a kid.
Hopping the wheel over a hole or obstacle is no problem and that's the most useful.

Had the wheel come loose already often but cut the gas always right away but this time i left it open and did a small wheelie.
It's quite easy with this bike.

Yeah, the MT07 is an absolute wheelie machine.  The T7 requires more deliberation, as it's significantly longer and heavier - I was actually kind of sad having owned an MT07 just how much *less* wheelie-happy the T7 is.

But particularly if you're standing up or moving your weight back it really doesn't require much; that CP2 pushes a lot of grunt at the low end making it quite easy. For my weight at 300lbs before gear etc it generally won't power wheelie unless I help it (move far back on the bike or load the suspension and then hammer on the gas), but it clutches up super easy.  I find just popping the clutch when holding ~5000rpm and it'll stand up immediately.

Personally, though, I'm not doing the balance point thing, just popping up the front for fun and profit (well, nobody is paying me, so just for fun).  Learning to do extended balance point wheelies for the first time is a process where you need to accept you *will* dump the bike, hard, a few times, and it's WAY better to learn on a small, light bike that won't be going fast when that happens.  The T7 is very tough, but looping it would be insanely expensive - it's not meant to land on it's top 🙂

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I had a hard time lifting mine (I am not very good at wheelies) I needed a lot of clutch dump to get it up, but with the exhaust swap it is much easier, now I can easily get it up off the throttle.