Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Throttle Body Sync Procedure

prowlnS10

This is by far the best howto I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Many details (especially warnings) might be helpful for other tasks on the bike as well.

Great work, many thanks!

• Like 2

Great write up. I see you TB balance was out, what was the result you felt after adjustment when riding ? Less vibes or smoother throttle response, smoother idle etc?

4 hours ago, Alf Meister said:

Great write up. I see you TB balance was out, what was the result you felt after adjustment when riding ? Less vibes or smoother throttle response, smoother idle etc?

Yes, the left TB was pulling more air than the right.  Post sync idle was a little steadier (less up/dn fluctuation) & slightly lower when warm...off idle response & at speed vibration thru the tank & bars was marginally improved...keep in mind that the CP2 motor is refined & smooth to start with...so no dramatic change in overall character...just a little more refined 🙂 Had the same experience with my 2014 Super Tenere with <10k km

• Like 2

I had my tenere today at the dealer for its 20.000 km service (still in warranty period). I noticed last months that the throttle was a bit more on/off, like hasitating sometimes. They did the throttle body sync and it runs more smooth, more direct at throttle response and idle is more steady. Runs perfect again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@prowlnS10 Thank you for the write up! One question. I was about to do my 2022 Euro 5 T7 Throttle body sync and I realised that on my bike the right side throttle body is connected with the hose to the sensor (not the left side as on your bike or any other bike I´ve seen) 

The left side throttle body has the rubber vacuum line cap. see the picture.

image.jpeg.066a2f450f78173723cf136a9e808b1f.jpeg

Does that mean that my primary throttle body is on the right side and not on the left? Do I then adjust only the left side?

Justin....I have no experience with a Euro 5 bike & have not seen that gen's service manual, but Yamaha set the left TB with the additional hose connecting the air pressure sensor as the primary TB on  Euro 4 models (at least on my Canadian Japan factory bike)....it would be logical that they kept to  the same protocol with Euro 5 bikes & for whatever reasons moved it to the right TB.  The general convention is to adjust the TB with just the vacuum plug...which also was on the right TB on my 2014 Super Tenere....but always best to confirm with the service manual or a dealer.  You could mark the existing setting of both TB air screws prior to adjustment allowing to return to the factory settings if needed later.

• 2 months later...

Work called out again today, so I went to home depot and got some line and recreated your tool.

Mine is at 12,000 miles, never had an issue but it is not as smooth right off idle this year so I hoped to correct that.

I added my vacuum pump I use to bleed brakes with to the line on the left throttle body to see if it would give me a reference, it was flucuating around 8 lbs and was causing a vacuum leak resulting in the fluid trying to climb out of the top, so I removed it from the setup. Once that vacuum leak cause was removed ,my levels were still 2-3 feet apart with the left side way higher than the right. Opening the air screw on the right side TB caused this to be worse, so I worked it back closed 1/4 turn at a time. It appears the stock setting on the screw was 3/4 a turn open from bottom. Closing it a little more than a quarter turn caused the levels to only be about 1 foot apart, but even if turned the 1/2 turn more the levels are 8 inches apart. Bike sounded better with that 1/4 turn closed , not so much if closed further. And I don't think its ever good to have an air screw right at the bottom. 

The manual states if sync cannot be achieved the throttle bodies need to be cleaned. I am going to run up to the dealer and get a fresh air filter in case mine is getting dirty and causing restriction and ask the service manager up there what he thinks about it and how he would recommend to clean those or if he is aware of something else on these CP2s.

Talked with the service manager about the issue, he said they rarely see a CP2 or CP3 come in that needs that adjustment. He has a CP3 bike with 30 K and he has never had to adjust his. The only time they need to clean a throttle body is if the owner has been running crap fuel through it. He thought it would be fine at the sweet spot I found even if the pressures weren't dead identical. Final testing had the fluid about 6- inches different (one side 3 inches up, other 3 inches down) after a couple throttle blips.

I reassembled the bike and test rode it, it ran beautifully, and its now crisp off idle just like it used to be, that quarter turn solved the hesitation/burbling off idle occasionally I had just noticed.

Thanks again to the OP for the tool tip, the 25 ' of hose at Home Despot costs me 10 bucks, I had some vac fittings and other short lines to make up the assembly and a spare quart of transmission fluid.

I running out of things to do to this bike this winter, I guess Spring just needs to get it's butt here lol. 

Now if I could just find the jets I have for the carb on my 1980 IT 250 I can focus on finishing tuning it the next day work calls out this winter.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wb22rules said:

1980 IT 250

That was/is a fun bike!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~