Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MWR's Extreme Filter Cover release!


BellissiMoto

Recommended Posts

  • Supporting Vendor

Hey everyone!

 

So this is a long time coming. We tried to bring this to market last year and had to go back to the drawing board (literally) because of clearance issues.  There is an old thread on this subject but I figured I'd catch you up with some Cliffs Notes.

 

WHAT IS IT?  It's a FILTER COVER CAGE that replaces the stock snorkel and has an OUTER PRE-FILTER COVER for exceptional air flow and extreme protection in all weather conditions.  It's what a lot of PRO Dakar Rally teams use.  You still use an Air Filter underneath - preferably an MWR Air Filter because the opening is port matched to the new Filter Cover Cage 🙂

 

WHY DID THE FIRST VERSION NOT COME TO MARKET?  The original version of this product had clearance issues.  The cage was too high, and interfered with the stock seat.  The stock seat has two protruding pieces of plastic that prevented the seat from latching into place.  You can cut these protrusions off the stock seat, but we didn't want to do that.  Some aftermarket seats like the Seat Concepts don't even have those protrusions, but still, we wanted the product to work without modification to the OEM components.

 

You can see the issue here:

image.jpeg.7807c0d164961f55375c7946fbb3bb64.jpeg

image.jpeg.bf4d0ab0e9ee28bc4de4ffc4ec579aa1.jpeg

 

 

 

To mitigate this, I cut the cage off to check clearance:

image.jpeg.4c4d82fea0af4aab99458e4974abcf0b.jpeg

image.jpeg.4ed1d25f905746824efcd2213a1c2533.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.824c3332bddbac53ba20daeef6e8835c.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.f4f3937261987b2b152102741a440cd2.jpeg

 

 

It was still a little too close for my liking, so MWR found a way to make it even slimmer to avoid issues.

 

 

 

 

 

WHAT DOES THE NEW VERSION LOOK LIKE?  Here is the NEW DESIGN:

 

 

image.jpeg.22461e5ae757d6dbef8d7c2420c7b001.jpeg

image.jpeg.e71804217955ef605cff502f508463c0.jpeg

image.jpeg.f2d50e62bebc23a86276a5156f4ae1c9.jpeg

image.jpeg.c42ba1c5d3b0b3135bbe82ca2286aabe.jpeg

 

 

 

But Paul, it looks like the outer cover is too big and will fold over itself causing blockage.  I asked MWR that very question, and they said it's not affected, and it's better to have more surface area to "pre-filter" than to have a smaller flat outer cover snug to the top.

 

To recap, the new Filter Cover Cage will replace the stock airbox cover/snorkel and will use a special OUTER cover just like the PRO Factory Rally teams use, for extreme protection in all weather conditions.  You still use an Air Filter underneath - preferably an MWR Air Filter because the opening is port matched to the new Filter Cover Cage 🙂

 

Definitely will flow a TON of air, and still keep out the muck of extreme off-roading!

 

The beauty of this OUTER COVER design is that you can clean it by just rinsing it with water.  No oil is needed.  So if you are on the trails and find a water crossing, you can rinse it right then and there without having to carry extra "pre-filters" and extra oil.

 

So, air flow is not affected, and in fact will be better than the stock snorkel with a pre-filter because the new MWR Filter Cover has much more surface area than the OEM snorkel with a pre-filter attached...and we already know the actual MWR Air Filter itself has more surface area than any other air filter on the market for the Tenere 700.

 

You get the best of both worlds, much better air flow than stock, AND extreme protection in all weather conditions!

 

 

 

WHEN CAN I GET IT?  I was told they are available next week.  I'll have pricing then also.  Keep in mind, these will be coming with a much larger order of other MWR products, so even though they may be available next week, I won't have them until our normal shipment of MWR items arrives, which could be soon after.  I'll know more on that soon.  As soon as I get pricing, I'll post a link to purchase.   I can't wait to get my hands on one of these myself!  The product will include the Filter Cage and Outer Cover.  Extra Outer Covers will be also be available, separately.  Actual Air Filter is sold separately. 

 

Stay tuned!

 

- Paul

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor

So, we had a previous list on the old thread of interested people:

 

1.  @Cruizin

2. @REDHORSECA

3. @SantacruzT100

4. @Bucket Boy

5. @BlackBart

6. @DORTx2

7. @sbeck09

8. @Alkali  x2

9. @MghtyThor69 (no longer a username)

10. @SociallyStunted

11. @Rider 101

12. @Canzvt

13. @Belgradian

14. @GreatDistances

15. @motojunky2 (no longer a username)

16. @Chris618

 

 

We weren't planning to do a pre-order for these, but we have 10 coming for the initial run.  When pricing is figured out I'll post up here and link you to them on our website for purchase.

 

If for some reason everyone is still interested, I can bump up our order and try and get everyone taken care of.  So please post up if you really want to buy one.

 

- Paul

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Paul,

I am using the Aussie made Funnel Web prefilter so won't be looking for one of there.

Thanks for thinking of us.

  • Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Paul,

 

I'm still interested for 1, thanks for the update! 

 

Cheers, 

Al

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm out. I'm happy with my Aussie Uni set-up. Thanks for following up!

  • Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 4:37 PM, BellissiMoto said:

So, we had a previous list on the old thread of interested people:

 

1.  @Cruizin

2. @REDHORSECA

3. @SantacruzT100

4. @Bucket Boy

5. @BlackBart

6. @DORTx2

7. @sbeck09

8. @Alkali  x2

9. @MghtyThor69 (no longer a username)

10. @SociallyStunted

11. @Rider 101

12. @Canzvt

13. @Belgradian

14. @GreatDistances

15. @motojunky2 (no longer a username)

16. @Chris618

 

 

We weren't planning to do a pre-order for these, but we have 10 coming for the initial run.  When pricing is figured out I'll post up here and link you to them on our website for purchase.

 

If for some reason everyone is still interested, I can bump up our order and try and get everyone taken care of.  So please post up if you really want to buy one.

 

- Paul

 

Sorry Paul, I had a death in family past week and missed this. Yes, Im still in if'n I can. 

 

Guys, if you love your engine and ride dirt at all, this is the kit to get. Use any airfilter you want under the prefilter, it wll last long time. But the MWR filter is freaking "port matched" to the freaking cage/airbox ! It doesn't get beter than that!

 

Please, take my money!  Sign up for this one, folks! Prefilter will help air filter last long long time for regular dirt riders. And this is the way to go in the sand/desert. And did I say filter port matched with the airbox! That's race level tech we can all get and our engine's will last a long time. 

 

Get in on this and ditch the snorkel!  (Australia not included in the snorkel comment).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor

Hey guys!

 

They're HERE!  We got 10 of them in, so if you want one, order soon so you are not waiting for the next batch.

 

They are on sale for 10% off, but if you make a free online account on our website, you can use the Coupon Code EUROCRASH for an extra 5% off to make it 15% off your order!

 

This is NOT a group buy.  We already have special pricing on this item and even more so when you use the Coupon Code EUROCRASH.  

 

You can order right from this link:

 

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/air-filters/MWR-Filtercage-with-Outercover-for-the-Yamaha-Tenere-700

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Hey guys, just picked up this combo and wanted to make sure I installed it correctly. I put the MWR filter in the air box, and then put the filter cover on top and screwed that in. My concern is with the seal between the air box the filter and the cover. The original snorkel and filter have rubber seals that sit in grooves to create the seal. Now I have the foam sitting directly against the air box, and the filter cover is hard plastic that comes together with the metal around the air filter.. does that sound right? Basically the filter cover just compresses the foam down against the edge of the air box and that’s what creates the seal? 
 

Thank you all! 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, IDT7 said:

Hey guys, just picked up this combo and wanted to make sure I installed it correctly. I put the MWR filter in the air box, and then put the filter cover on top and screwed that in. My concern is with the seal between the air box the filter and the cover. The original snorkel and filter have rubber seals that sit in grooves to create the seal. Now I have the foam sitting directly against the air box, and the filter cover is hard plastic that comes together with the metal around the air filter.. does that sound right? Basically the filter cover just compresses the foam down against the edge of the air box and that’s what creates the seal? 
 

Thank you all! 
 

@BellissiMoto tagged for comment. 

 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Vendor
On 11/21/2023 at 12:19 PM, IDT7 said:

Hey guys, just picked up this combo and wanted to make sure I installed it correctly. I put the MWR filter in the air box, and then put the filter cover on top and screwed that in. My concern is with the seal between the air box the filter and the cover. The original snorkel and filter have rubber seals that sit in grooves to create the seal. Now I have the foam sitting directly against the air box, and the filter cover is hard plastic that comes together with the metal around the air filter.. does that sound right? Basically the filter cover just compresses the foam down against the edge of the air box and that’s what creates the seal? 
 

Thank you all! 
 

 

 

Sorry I missed this everyone.  Been crazy in the shop and haven't been on the Forum much (you can always email us for a reply with 24 hours).

 

Yes, the Foam creates the seal.  Some people go as far as putting a light coat of waterproof grease around the very outer edge like you would do in a dirt bike with a foam filter, although I've never had any trouble without it 🙂

 

While I have you guys here, I'm about to post our Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale, so be on the lookout in the BellissiMoto Vendor section 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Will this work woth stock filter? Since this does not have the grooves the stock cover has, should I add some sort of weather stripping in between the OEM filter and this cover? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

MWR Filtercage & Outercover

 

My interest in the MWR Filtercage & Outercover, which MWR promotes as "Extreme air flow with Extreme protection" is multifaceted & driven by several other modifications & considerations: shortcomings with my existing FunnelWebFilters airbox lid mounted pre-filter (loose gravity press-in fitment rotated slightly forward by contact with seat pan during seat installation that is susceptible to water entry & inconvenient to clean/oil on multi-day rides/trips); desire to incorporate water protection to an open airbox lid design/oem snorkel removal or lid mounted pre-filter system; ease of cleaning without chemicals & quick drying; optimize an upcoming 2WheelDynoWorks ECU flash & recently installed Black Widow decat header & be compatible with aftermarket air filters. 

 

20240416_172640.jpg
 
Paul at BellissiMoto, USA was very responsive to my queries regarding the "New Filtercage that replaces the stock airbox cover/snorkel, and the built-in cage on top that houses their special Outercover - just like the Factory Rally Teams use, for extreme protection in all weather conditions!" & expedited shipment quickly. Effectively replacing commonly used foam pre-filters with a fine mesh design & material that fosters maximum air flow, ease of cleaning with just water (other fabric outercovers may require treatment with chemicals for hydrophobic properties that may deteriorate air flow) & repels water (water pools on the surface, but will get through the fabric if subjected to the pressure of tap or hose water, so recommend appropriate preventative measures when washing the bike).
 
20240416_173011.jpg
 
The design incorporates an elevated top surface lip incorporating a cage on the upper surface that serves as an oval bell shape intake duct slightly larger than most air filter's inside dimensions, is much larger than the oem oval opening in the lid after removal of the snorkel, provides protection from surface water entry into the air box lid & a mounting point for the Outercover that utilizes an elastic opening facilitating quick & easy removal & install for cleaning.

 

20240417_134950.jpg
 
The filtercage is designed to mate with MWR's ultra high flow foam main filter & aftermarket filters that incorporate a rubber or foam upper filter top surface that overlaps the airbox upper surface, effectively sealing the airbox. Note that MWR states that "This is not an air filter. It's a Filtercage with Outercover, that replaces your stock snorkel and lid with much higher flow capabilities, and the same extreme protection that professional rally raid teams use. It it still meant to be used with the main filter underneath." It may not provide effective sealing with the oem hard plastic design air filter without the addition of a foam or rubber surface sandwiched between the filtercage & the oem airbox. It mates very well with my Guglatech Ultra 4 air filter that utilizes a thick semi rigid rubber top surface that is slightly taller than the oem filter...the MWR filtercage airbox lid slightly compresses the air filter upon tightening of the 4 screws providing snug & secure fitment. It also mates well with the FunnelWebFilters Tenere 700 foam main filter.

 

20240417_135109.jpg

 

20240417_140435.jpg

 

20240417_140512.jpg
 
2WheelDynoWorks recommends removal of the oem airbox lid snorkel, or by extension use of any airbox lid sans snorkel, for best performance with their ECU flash on the CP2 motor. Several aftermarket & computer printed airbox lids are available that flow more air than the oem snorkel/lid comb, however, they have tuned CP2 motors with the MWR Filtercage & Outercover intake system which works as advertised, but notes that "it does not perform any better or worse than other open intake lids for this motor." Which fits with the design & state of tune of the CP2.
 
20240416_184921.jpg
 
MWR deliberately oversized the Outercover to provide increased surface area of the filtering material while still fitting within the limited space between the underside of the seat, airbox & fuel tank. Replacement Outercovers are available separately.
 
20240417_140940.jpg
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2024 at 4:21 PM, prowlnS10 said:

MWR Filtercage & Outercover

 

My interest in the MWR Filtercage & Outercover, which MWR promotes as "Extreme air flow with Extreme protection" is multifaceted & driven by several other modifications & considerations: shortcomings with my existing FunnelWebFilters airbox lid mounted pre-filter (loose gravity press-in fitment rotated slightly forward by contact with seat pan during seat installation that is susceptible to water entry & inconvenient to clean/oil on multi-day rides/trips); desire to incorporate water protection to an open airbox lid design/oem snorkel removal or lid mounted pre-filter system; ease of cleaning without chemicals & quick drying; optimize an upcoming 2WheelDynoWorks ECU flash & recently installed Black Widow decat header & be compatible with aftermarket air filters. 

 

20240416_172640.jpg
 
Paul at BellissiMoto, USA was very responsive to my queries regarding the "New Filtercage that replaces the stock airbox cover/snorkel, and the built-in cage on top that houses their special Outercover - just like the Factory Rally Teams use, for extreme protection in all weather conditions!" & expedited shipment quickly. Effectively replacing commonly used foam pre-filters with a fine mesh design & material that fosters maximum air flow, ease of cleaning with just water (other fabric outercovers may require treatment with chemicals for hydrophobic properties that may deteriorate air flow) & repels water (water pools on the surface, but will get through the fabric if subjected to the pressure of tap or hose water, so recommend appropriate preventative measures when washing the bike).
 
20240416_173011.jpg
 
The design incorporates an elevated top surface lip incorporating a cage on the upper surface that serves as an oval bell shape intake duct slightly larger than most air filter's inside dimensions, is much larger than the oem oval opening in the lid after removal of the snorkel, provides protection from surface water entry into the air box lid & a mounting point for the Outercover that utilizes an elastic opening facilitating quick & easy removal & install for cleaning.

 

20240417_134950.jpg
 
The filtercage is designed to mate with MWR's ultra high flow foam main filter & aftermarket filters that incorporate a rubber or foam upper filter top surface that overlaps the airbox upper surface, effectively sealing the airbox. Note that MWR states that "This is not an air filter. It's a Filtercage with Outercover, that replaces your stock snorkel and lid with much higher flow capabilities, and the same extreme protection that professional rally raid teams use. It it still meant to be used with the main filter underneath." It may not provide effective sealing with the oem hard plastic design air filter without the addition of a foam or rubber surface sandwiched between the filtercage & the oem airbox. It mates very well with my Guglatech Ultra 4 air filter that utilizes a thick semi rigid rubber top surface that is slightly taller than the oem filter...the MWR filtercage airbox lid slightly compresses the air filter upon tightening of the 4 screws providing snug & secure fitment. It also mates well with the FunnelWebFilters Tenere 700 foam main filter.

 

20240417_135109.jpg

 

20240417_140435.jpg

 

20240417_140512.jpg
 
2WheelDynoWorks recommends removal of the oem airbox lid snorkel, or by extension use of any airbox lid sans snorkel, for best performance with their ECU flash on the CP2 motor. Several aftermarket & computer printed airbox lids are available that flow more air than the oem snorkel/lid comb, however, they have tuned CP2 motors with the MWR Filtercage & Outercover intake system which works as advertised, but notes that "it does not perform any better or worse than other open intake lids for this motor." Which fits with the design & state of tune of the CP2.
 
20240416_184921.jpg
 
MWR deliberately oversized the Outercover to provide increased surface area of the filtering material while still fitting within the limited space between the underside of the seat, airbox & fuel tank. Replacement Outercovers are available separately.
 
20240417_140940.jpg

Incredible overview!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.