Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Black Spoke Skins

TheoremX

Bought some black spoke skins off of Amazon for $8, here’s the look.  Absolute pain to get these on.D20551D4-8FD1-44A9-9FC4-0721B37F357B.jpeg.98f54d615477c885d44266d821b27ecd.jpegBB281D10-D96B-4E25-8F1C-29B4A1E7A759.jpeg.ca217d4ddbf85b544e736806a7663d1e.jpeg54D737CC-9391-475C-827B-AB304E680F5D.jpeg.0a5e6a9f334cf93e32e466aaa6bad037.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheoremX said:

Bought some black spoke skins off of Amazon for $8, here’s the look.  Absolute pain to get these on.D20551D4-8FD1-44A9-9FC4-0721B37F357B.jpeg.98f54d615477c885d44266d821b27ecd.jpegBB281D10-D96B-4E25-8F1C-29B4A1E7A759.jpeg.ca217d4ddbf85b544e736806a7663d1e.jpeg54D737CC-9391-475C-827B-AB304E680F5D.jpeg.0a5e6a9f334cf93e32e466aaa6bad037.jpeg

Nice look! Hope moisture won't be creeping under the sleeves. The OEM spokes are known to corrode quite well.

9 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Nice look! Hope moisture won't be creeping under the sleeves. The OEM spokes are known to corrode quite well.

I was thinking the same.

hopefully it will help to prevent corrosion instead of helping it 😛

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TimmyTheHog said:

I was thinking the same.

hopefully it will help to prevent corrosion instead of helping it 😛

Super dry here in southern Idaho, I’ll pull a few off in a couple of months or so and check for corrosion, if it does end up being sub par, I’ll update this post and can em.  Not much of a loss at $8 hoping it works out though lol 😅

Edited by TheoremX
  • Like 2

Umm. How are you going to check spoke tension now?

Usual technique is spin the wheel whilst tickling the spokes with something metal or tapping the spokes of a stationary wheel and listening for a "ping"  -- If you get a 'thud' the spoke is loose and needs tensioning.

9 hours ago, Black99S said:

Umm. How are you going to check spoke tension now?

Usual technique is spin the wheel whilst tickling the spokes with something metal or tapping the spokes of a stationary wheel and listening for a "ping"  -- If you get a 'thud' the spoke is loose and needs tensioning.

Man you guys make a compelling case against these, sounds like it’s not worth the look after all 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheoremX said:

Man you guys make a compelling case against these, sounds like it’s not worth the look after all 

When was the last time you checked spoke tension?  I haven't since new, but maybe I should every now and again... The look is great! 

55 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

When was the last time you checked spoke tension?  I haven't since new, but maybe I should every now and again... The look is great! 

I just got the bike a couple months ago, only have about 450 miles on it, haven't really gotten around to checking them yet.  They definitely were not anywhere near loose when I was man handling those skins on lol.

48 minutes ago, TheoremX said:

I just got the bike a couple months ago, only have about 450 miles on it, haven't really gotten around to checking them yet.  They definitely were not anywhere near loose when I was man handling those skins on lol.

I should have also asked "Who checks spoke tension?"  haha but I thought I might get an earful.  

• Like 1

I check 'm when i change the tyres or when i have e reason to do so like in Estonia after changing the Anakee Wild for a set Mitas E07.
That front tyre gave me the idea my wheel was out of true so i took my trail jack out and checked the spokes and if the rim was straight (it has to be the tyre).

15 hours ago, roygilbo said:

I should have also asked "Who checks spoke tension?"  haha but I thought I might get an earful.  

Haha yeah for real. I used to check my YZ once every few rides, only because I was doing a lot of rough riding on single/doubletrack. Only had to lightly tighten up a few times.