Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How important is that 1st service on a new bike? does it have to be done at a dealer?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Hello Everyone, 

As the T7 will be my first New bike (I've owned 13 bikes, all purchased used) 
How important is that 1st "service" be done at a dealer? 

Is it something I can do on my own?  (I always do all of my own work myself, even tire changes, valve clearance checks etc etc)
I'm not crazy about taking my bike to a dealer, just to have them change the oil, and look at it for a few minutes and charge me a premium for the experience.....
The dealer is also quite a distance from me, about a 3 hour round trip, not including the time the bike would have to spend there. 

If I do that first service myself, and keep records, will that affect my warranty? 
I know you can service vehicles yourself, and it has no effect on warranty.  

Tazmool

If I remember corretly, motorbikes have been ruled out by EU of this warranty / service issue. For example, KTM clearly states that in order the warranty to be in effect, the bike has be serviced by a authorized dealer.

I have also always done all the service by myself. This is my first brand new bike and I will take it to the dealer as long as the warranty is in effect. If you look at the costs (first service was about 130€ here in Finland), I think it's not that big of a deal compared to the total costs of this hobby. And if something bad happens, you don't have to worry about the warranty.

Edited by Totti
typo

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

I also did the first service myself with my t7.  My dealer just had told me to come by so he could put it on the computer.  (all services are sent online to yamaha he said) it will probably have to do with warranty. 

Nick

• Premium Member

It is vital, but who does the 1st service is not so important as changing the original engine oil is essential.

What is massively mega important for new engine is that the original engine oil and filter are changed at around 600 miles / 1000 kilometres or so....

1st service is mainly engine oil and filter change and that this oil change is done with the proper recommend engine oil and this is recorded by Yamaha as being done with correct oil and genuine filter (keep receipts) i.e. their spec / parts are used.

It is usually easiest to just get at atleast the 1st service done by the dealer as it can help if any troubles surface.

10 minutes ago, X Plane said:

Who does 1st service is not so important as the engine oil etc used is.

What is massively mega important for your new engine is that the engine oil and filter are changed around 600 miles / 1000 kilometres or so....

1st service is mainly an engine oil and filter change and that this oil change is done with the recommend engine oil and this is recorded by Yamaha as being done with correct oil and genuine filter. i.e. their spec / parts are used.

It is easy to just get at atleast the 1st service done by the dealer.

How long is the warranty period on the T7 ?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

How long is the warranty period on the T7 ?

UK/Europe Warranty is 2 Years.

• Like 1

Enjoy the ride and do it with a dealer... 2 years warranty is at stake and you never know if you are going to need it... Mine was serviced and it took about 60 min...

Good luck with your decision. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This bike is pre-ordered in Canada, and here, for some strange reason, most Japanese motorcycle warranties are only 1 year. 
(this is an entirely different topic, but one big reason I have not owned a KTM is that the closest dealer is 3-4hrs away, and I KNOW I would need to use that warranty, plus the dealer told me that I need to bring the bike in to reset the maintenance minders and other things... no thanks!) 

However, if I can do the service myself, I would, just to avoid the 3hr round trip to the dealer. 
If the 1st service "must" be done at a dealer, to keep the warranty, I'll probably do it, only to keep the warranty on a brand new model that is yet to be proven. 

What is part of the 1st service anyways? 
Oil and oil filter change, probably check torque on some fasteners, cable slack etc? 

Tazmool

I am in the same situation with my new CRF 250L 1000km service is due and the dealer wants close to $300 to change the oil and oil filter being a simple and cheap bike to work on I think I am going to do it myself the genuine oil and oil filter cost me $65 and I will be keeping my receipts just in case However in your case the T7 is a lot more expensive bike than mine and if something went wrong it could get expensive for you I would let the dealer at least do the first service for you just in case good luck   👍

• Premium Member

Greetings Everyone, 

I had an non-bike-related trip that put me near a large Yamaha dealer yesterday (London Ontario, Canada), decided to stop in for a chat with their service department (spoke with the service manager) regarding the 1st service and maintaining the warranty on a brand new bike. 

I was surprised, and pleased with their candor, and as it turns out, as long as I keep a good written record, keep receipts for the oil and filter (plus any other needed supplies), I can perform the first service myself, and the Yamaha warranty stays valid!    

Excellent!

It is definitely nice to have that option!

Tazmool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tazmoolnice to hear that.. I'm assuming this is valid only in Canada and maybe the States.In Europe most dealers won't even open a file for warranty unless you have all services with them.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Tazmool said:

Greetings Everyone, 

I had an non-bike-related trip that put me near a large Yamaha dealer yesterday (London Ontario, Canada), decided to stop in for a chat with their service department (spoke with the service manager) regarding the 1st service and maintaining the warranty on a brand new bike. 

I was surprised, and pleased with their candor, and as it turns out, as long as I keep a good written record, keep receipts for the oil and filter (plus any other needed supplies), I can perform the first service myself, and the Yamaha warranty stays valid!    

Excellent!

It is definitely nice to have that option!

Tazmool

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

@Tazmoolnice to hear that.. I'm assuming this is valid only in Canada and maybe the States.In Europe most dealers won't even open a file for warranty unless you have all services with them.

^ Gents, you doing your own service in Europe is also legal; though dealers may moan. Anyhow, if genuine parts are used then your warranty is valid but you may need to be adamant on this with the dealer.

Although if the dealer can show / prove a drain plug fell out or a oil filter came loose or the engine fuel ratio was too weak and that fits in with the damage / trouble being claimed for then that could be an argument.

Though note that a normal Do It Yourself (DIY) service cannot do diagnostic checks or set or balance the fuel injection system...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Did my first one myself. local dealer cant even be bothered stocking simple things such as oil filters so I have given up on them to do a proper service. Next closest dealer is 1800km away so thats not an option either. Warranty is only 12 months here and have nearly used all of that up. I'm not stressed I have faith in my machine.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 7:07 PM, Tazmool said:

Hello Everyone, 

As the T7 will be my first New bike (I've owned 13 bikes, all purchased used) 
How important is that 1st "service" be done at a dealer? 

Is it something I can do on my own?  (I always do all of my own work myself, even tire changes, valve clearance checks etc etc)
I'm not crazy about taking my bike to a dealer, just to have them change the oil, and look at it for a few minutes and charge me a premium for the experience.....
The dealer is also quite a distance from me, about a 3 hour round trip, not including the time the bike would have to spend there. 

If I do that first service myself, and keep records, will that affect my warranty? 
I know you can service vehicles yourself, and it has no effect on warranty.  

Tazmool

I dont take my bikes to dealers. The prices are outrageous.  $250 for oil and filter change and check the bolt tightness.  I do my own maintenance.  We write tech tips and post them in our tech tip section on how to do most things on our bikes. Use that section to learn. There is also a service manual in that section that you can download and print off. It is a euro manual but still has USA settings in it as well.  

Also, there are damn good bike mechanics in most areas that do the same work for half the price of dealers. Look them up on Google, if you ever run into something that you are not comfortable trying on your own. 

• Like 4

I've always let the dealer do the 600 mile service just in case there is a warranty issue.  Since the US only has a one year warranty it's not like there will be a lot of service needed in that year.  Oil changes beyond that will be done by myself and if there is any technical work that I don't feel comfortable with there is a trusted shop in the area that can handle the rest.  They will probably do my spring if I upgrade.  The only other two hard parts I want would be a centerstand and crash bars.  Both I'll be installing myself.

I think overall the biggest concern I have with this bike would be the headlights going out or being wonky like Far&Further had.  Everything else should be pretty reliable.  

• Like 1

I changed the oil and filter at 600 miles. This isn't a KTM or a BMW. It isn't going to "fail" within the first year or most likely ever. Your # 1 concern should be to prevent damage when you drop the bike.

• 4 months later...

Have you all looked into the Yamalube Advantage Program/ Warranty? It's free and extends to the engine if you keep receipts and maintenance interval records and ONLY use Yamalube oem oil supplies. 

My question, but I think I know the answer by some of the previous info in this thread (thank you guys by the way) is that:

Does the first service count against you for the yam advantage program if you do it yourself? 

Yamaha seems to be very picky about the oil changes and only allows for a 10% over mileage on oil changes before trying to void warranty. 

With your first service this only allows for a 60 mi. variance.

I'll change my oil at 500 km mark and the 1000 km mark.  I'll use the regular oil for this as all I'm trying to achieve is getting rid of any metal filings that may have appeared in the first usage. 

Then I'll use synthetic oil for all the future oil changes.  Check this site out...

f649a77e-7a11-44a3-93d0-0e1b639409fc_Art

Synthetic oil is a lubricant made up of artificially made chemical compounds. Read about how synthetic oil compares with conventional oil and more.

I changed oil at 100 miles put conventional then at 600 miles I put synthetic I have done this to many new bikes that I owned in the past and it seems to work well imo. 

New Engine Break In Procedure For Cars, Motorcycles, Motocross, Snowmobiles and Boats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I changed my oil at 600mi to conventional oil and than again at 1500mi to full synthetic.

For US residents, Magnusun-Moss ensures that we cannoy be denied warranty, nor are required to go to the dealer for (any) service. 

"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Despite this, sellers ELUDE to it. They do that because it's LUCRATIVE.  Just keep records of your maintenance. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 2:07 PM, Spanskii said:

Have you all looked into the Yamalube Advantage Program/ Warranty? It's free and extends to the engine if you keep receipts and maintenance interval records and ONLY use Yamalube oem oil supplies. 

My question, but I think I know the answer by some of the previous info in this thread (thank you guys by the way) is that:

Does the first service count against you for the yam advantage program if you do it yourself? 

Nope.

That cleverly worded and misquoted by sales people warranty covers OIL RELATED failures only. There is no way, any mechanic, can or will determine an engine failure was caused by the oil not doing it's job. Read the warranty. And be sure you focus the resentment on the deceiptful marketing used to sell their stuff,

Not all bad, the end game is, they just want you to use quality oil of the proper type, that is one way to do it.

"count against you"? like facebook jail?  JK🤣