Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

K60 scout in 140/80-18 size

Zero600

Has anyone tried this tire, in this size, on the T7?

I’m asking specifically about the 140/80-18 because it does not have a center strip like the 150/70 does.  Seems like it might be more off-road capable in this configuration. 

Curious about stiffness of the sidewalls, mounting, and of course performance.

I am aware that putting this size tire on the OEM rear rim is controversial, so no need to rehash that issue.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am running the K60 scout in 140/80 on my bike for the same reasons as you and it seems to work just fine, I'm about 6000 miles in with no issues, maybe 3/4 worn. It mounted on fine with tyre levers, it was harder getting the original tyre off than getting this on. I'm yet to have a puncture on it, so I cant tell you what thats going to be like, or what getting them off the wide rim will be like, but I cant see it being that difficult. The tyre profile is not quite the intended shape as it is stretched out by the wide rim, but it goes round corners ok, maybe not as well as the stock tyres, but ok. I just did a 4500 mile European trip on it with countless alpine mountain passes and hours long autobahn stretches and all was well.

Off road it rides just as well as a K60 is going to do, dry and rocky is good, bit slidey in wet mud, but what more do you expect, it will get you through.

I anticipate getting at least 8000 miles from the rear, but reckon you could push 10,000 if you are careful.

Hope that's of some help

Thanks

2 hours ago, Peen said:

Hi,

I am running the K60 scout in 140/80 on my bike for the same reasons as you and it seems to work just fine, I'm about 6000 miles in with no issues, maybe 3/4 worn. It mounted on fine with tyre levers, it was harder getting the original tyre off than getting this on. I'm yet to have a puncture on it, so I cant tell you what thats going to be like, or what getting them off the wide rim will be like, but I cant see it being that difficult. The tyre profile is not quite the intended shape as it is stretched out by the wide rim, but it goes round corners ok, maybe not as well as the stock tyres, but ok. I just did a 4500 mile European trip on it with countless alpine mountain passes and hours long autobahn stretches and all was well.

Off road it rides just as well as a K60 is going to do, dry and rocky is good, bit slidey in wet mud, but what more do you expect, it will get you through.

I anticipate getting at least 8000 miles from the rear, but reckon you could push 10,000 if you are careful.

Hope that's of some help

Thanks

Just the kind of info I was looking for.  Have you also tried the 150/80-18 with the center strip, such that you can offer a comparison?

No, I am yet to try the 150 tyre, probably would have been a better choice for the trip, but it was fine on the 140 tyre, maybe next time...

I would guess that the 150 with centre strip is a bit better on road and will last considerably longer and the 140 a bit better off road, but probably not a massive difference in it.

I haven't tried the 140 but I do have the 150 with the centre strip. I have 20k km on the tyre and there's probably another 8k left in it. I do occasionally take it off road and the tyre is grand on gravel fire roads. It doesn't like wet grass.

On the road the tyre works well on bends and in the wet. I have just ordered another set.

• Like 1