Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Heed Crash Bars and Skid Plate

BudRinPa

So I finally took delivery of my 2022 T-7 and went to install my T-Rex crash bars and skid plate. The crash bars did not fit and the skid plate was for a Super Tenere! So those are being sent back. I have done some research and am looking at the Heed equipment. I am by no means a professional off road rider and bike will spend the majority of it's time on road but I am looking to do some BDR's bypassing the difficult sections. That being said I still need adequate protection because the bike WILL be dropped! The Heed attracted me because they look like they offer decent protection at a good price. I have purchased Outback Mototek and Altrider equipment in the past and have them on my Super Tenere. So what I am asking is for your opinion on crash protection without breaking the bank. I am open to pretty much any suggestions! Thanks in advance..

I have the Heed bunker bars on my bike and the Camel skid plate. I'm happy with both purchases. I really like the Heed bars I also got the Heed bags that fit the the opening as well. 

IMG_20211210_170425449_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211210_170415930_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

heed bunker bars and heed bash plate.

survived a hard crash. bag disapeard like snow for the sun. but the bar is defeatedly recommenced!

saved me twice already.  once the handlebar was bent but the frame and the crash bar was suprisingly good [both fotos after the first crash. on the crash side]

new handlebar.

IMG_20211102_154825.jpg.4ffb68d4b923128d7aca04e8ff2ee5da.jpgIMG_20220704_184651.jpg.2fe20c6e06be9ace4ba5d272531843f4.jpg

IMG_20211028_221730.jpg.f366511a9f636daddd1ef87178cc0286.jpg

although i would strongly advice not to attach it under the headlight  the thin metal part on the right was bent.

so don't use the left and middle part. skip this step and you will be fine.

btw ships from poland.

and yes its not aluminium but that means better protection [ can bend back. but also has more flex as aluminium.  now it all depends on thickness but i can tell you this is not a thin walled pipe]

success in finding what you want.  bash plate i would seek one that also protects the bone at the rear wheel  tough further i have no complains

[edit : don't expect much from the bag.. 2e crash was on a old river bed. and its gone. got a os 6 and a 12 now on the bar with tools]

Edited by CoreCass

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have the steel or the aluminum bash plate? What are os 6 and 12? Is that a brand name?

• 7 months later...

I have HEED bunker on my Tenere, it survived numerous tip overs and few crashes. I would recommend them, in my case I needed to cut my givi bash plate to be able to fit it but overall I'm satisfied with this combination. 

And removal of fairings is not a problem at all, there is enough space to pull them out with crash bar installed.

IMG_20230417_080645.jpg

• 1 month later...
I mounted the HEED crash bars bunker and the skid place, this is the E5 version.
Excellent value for money components.
The Skid place is made of aluminium, easy installation and excellent protection. 

1688996468767.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 5:00 AM, vagrant318 said:

Can the fairings be easily removed with the crash bars installed?

The fairings still come off fairly easily. I've had good luck with my Heed crash bars so far. Took a few pretty hard hits with no damage except my horribly sprained ankle lol. Also have the bags on mine. Only complaints are the bags are fading to a gray color.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 on the Heed Bunker bars holding up well.  And there's enough clearance for the fairings to come off.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:42 PM, JhrTenere65 said:

The fairings still come off fairly easily. I've had good luck with my Heed crash bars so far. Took a few pretty hard hits with no damage except my horribly sprained ankle lol. Also have the bags on mine. Only complaints are the bags are fading to a gray color.

I contacted Chase Harper about color fade and they recommend using 3M scotch guard. I'm using the sun and water shield . 

So far so good. Don't know how often I will need to reapply.

IMG_2116.JPG

I very highly recommend the Heed Bunker bars. The damage you see here was after spinning out on what was essentially a dusty rock face at roughly 25mph. The bars got gouged a bit, but rock will do that. Zero other damage anywhere, other than a massive bruise on my hip. My skid plate is a somewhat cut-down AXP unit. The two work together well and protect basically everything possible.

20230331_231650.jpg

20230331_231652.jpg

20230526_081736.jpg

• Like 4

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

Good to see. I like how they're also relatively low profile compared to some of the other options out there.

I was just happy to find that I don't have to remove them to work on other things. I've had all the body work and tank off several times (I'm a tinkerer) and still have never removed the Heeds.

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

• 2 months later...

QUESTION: how about engine temp with the HEED skid plate? Is it higher compared with the stock one? 

I had the GP Mucci skid before and i ended up selling it for the same issue.

I am choosing between the rally OEM and the HEED one

6 hours ago, Mirco said:

QUESTION: how about engine temp with the HEED skid plate? Is it higher compared with the stock one? 

I had the GP Mucci skid before and i ended up selling it for the same issue.

I am choosing between the rally OEM and the HEED one

no difference if your talking about the rally version. 

even no difference with the normal one.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:46 AM, BudRinPa said:

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have the steel or the aluminum bash plate? What are os 6 and 12? Is that a brand name?

its alu.   tough steel might not be a bad choice either. as its easy to bend back.  alu less so.

how ever i tough id be damaging the under side quite a lot. and alu wont rust. 

• Like 1