Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bent wheels

Josh_

Hey guys,

Twice in the last month I've hit random junk in the road and now my front and rear wheels are bent and my bike rides like $hit now.  I'd like to get a front and rear factory rim and get the wheels laced up. 

Has anyone bent a rim and had to replace it?

What kind of shop can lace the wheel?

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Where do you live?  If in the USA, they can be replaced and trued at:

no-image-2048-5e88c1b20e087fb7bbe9a37718

Woody's Wheel Works crafts custom motorcycle wheels for adventure riders around the world. Superlace & Superlite options allow for a stronger lace & true pattern on spoke wire wheels. Woody's...

• Like 1

My T7's front rim got bent on one side after hitting an embedded rock at speed off-road about 8k miles ago. Fortunately no ill effects and the bike still rides great, so I'm not worrying about it.

20210721_100854.jpg.2e83ba852fae3454b329af5167769218.jpg

Good luck with your situation OP.

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

Where do you live?  If in the USA, they can be replaced and trued at:

no-image-2048-5e88c1b20e087fb7bbe9a37718

Woody's Wheel Works crafts custom motorcycle wheels for adventure riders around the world. Superlace & Superlite options allow for a stronger lace & true pattern on spoke wire wheels. Woody's...

I live in California

Thanks for the link I'm going to contact them on Monday morning.

1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

My T7's front rim got bent on one side after hitting an embedded rock at speed off-road about 8k miles ago. Fortunately no ill effects and the bike still rides great, so I'm not worrying about it.

20210721_100854.jpg.2e83ba852fae3454b329af5167769218.jpg

Good luck with your situation OP.

Oh yeah that's a proper ding, glad to hear it still rides good!

If you're going to go through the trouble of sending them to Woody's might as well go all out and get some custom tubeless superlaced wheels. 

For those that have bent rims, what pressures are you running and how heavy are you?

Edited by mpatch

30 minutes ago, mpatch said:

If you're going to go through the trouble of sending them to Woody's might as well go all out and get some custom tubeless superlaced wheels. 

For those that have bent rims, what pressures are you running and how heavy are you?

I normally always run street pressures (32 F, 36 R) both on and off road and was doing so the day my front rim got dinged. Lots of rocks where I live. I'm about 210 lbs with gear.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussions

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

8 hours ago, mpatch said:

And why would you go for tubeless?
Nice if you stay onroad to only mild offroad but i would never go for tubeless on the T7.
It's nice that people come with suggestions but sometime i miss some nuance in it. People can follow it blindly en sometime it can be an expensive mistake.

9 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

And why would you go for tubeless?
Nice if you stay onroad to only mild offroad but i would never go for tubeless on the T7.
It's nice that people come with suggestions but sometime i miss some nuance in it. People can follow it blindly en sometime it can be an expensive mistake.

Because plugging a flat is a hell of a lot easier than patching a tube.

These are heavy bikes that you're not airing down to 10-15 PSI and running rim locks. 

What's the benefit of tubes on big bikes?

My opinion is go tubeless and carry a 21" tube incase you bend a rim badly or tear a tire. 

If you run flat and the tube is getting unseated try to get it seated again with a small compressor.
When i bent a rim and don't have a pinch flat i just can continue but with Tubeless i have to put the emergency tyre in, gone is the benefit of the plug in the tubeless.
I don't see it as a big bike, my Crosstourer is a big bike and on that i run tubeless and carry tubes for when something happens with the rim.
The T7 is taken offroad to places where i easily can bent a rim.