Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bike won't start after small crash..

Ture511

Hallo everyone! 

I hope I've put it under the right topic.. 

I went for a ride with my dad last week and happened to fall, not much faster than walking pace. Fell in to a tree and hitting the tower on the left side of the bike and it got a bit crooked. 

After this accident the fuel pump doesn't prime and my headlight doesn't work apart from the parking lights. 

*Checked all the fuses. 

*I get power to the headlight connector on high beam but it doesn't work. 

*Checked other connectors on the left side 

*Checked the tip sensor and tried to "hack" it. 

*Checked side stand sensor and tried to "hack" it. 

*Tried my spare key. 

*Checked the connector to the fuel pump (didn't check for power tho..). 

The engine goes round when I crank it but not even a cough. Any tips are very much appreciated else I'll just have to take it to yamaha.. 

7 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Emergency stop button?

The kill switch on the right hand seems to work, when it's off I can't turn the starter, when it's on it goes around 🙂

4 hours ago, Ture511 said:

I went for a ride with my dad last week and happened to fall, not much faster than walking pace. Fell in to a tree and hitting the tower on the left side of the bike and it got a bit crooked. 

After this accident the fuel pump doesn't prime and my headlight doesn't work apart from the parking lights.

If you mean the tower that holds the instrument panel got hit, then it would check that the big electrical connector that goes into the the back of the instrument panel is still fully seated and the harness going to it is not damaged or pinched.  

8 hours ago, Ture511 said:

Hallo everyone! 

I hope I've put it under the right topic.. 

*Checked all the fuses. 

*I get power to the headlight connector on high beam but it doesn't work. 

*Checked other connectors on the left side 

*Checked the tip sensor and tried to "hack" it. 

*Checked side stand sensor and tried to "hack" it. 

*Tried my spare key. 

*Checked the connector to the fuel pump (didn't check for power tho..). 

The engine goes round when I crank it but not even a cough. Any tips are very much appreciated else I'll just have to take it to yamaha.. 

Not sure if this relates to your issue but best to check all possibilities, but many of your symptoms are the same...the T7 ignition switch has a quirk whereby if the key is part way between the off & on position the electrics & fuel pump will power up & the bike will turn over but not fire bike unless the key is fully seated in the on position... perhaps the crash to the tower area has impacted the ignition switch  

15 hours ago, Liquidape said:

If you mean the tower that holds the instrument panel got hit, then it would check that the big electrical connector that goes into the the back of the instrument panel is still fully seated and the harness going to it is not damaged or pinched.  

Didn't seem to be it. It all looked good. 

11 hours ago, prowlnS10 said:

Not sure if this relates to your issue but best to check all possibilities, but many of your symptoms are the same...the T7 ignition switch has a quirk whereby if the key is part way between the off & on position the electrics & fuel pump will power up & the bike will turn over but not fire bike unless the key is fully seated in the on position... perhaps the crash to the tower area has impacted the ignition switch  

Thanks for the tip but my fuel pump isn't even turning on so it's prob not it. Read that someone had problem with their Honda cbr where the light and fuel pump didn't work because of a contact that wasn't seated correctly since they went to the same one but it doesn't seem to be the case for me 😕

I guess I'll have to take it to the Yamaha, hopefully not too expensive.. 

• Like 1

It could be the tilt or tip over switch…..it is supposed to stop the engine when the bike is on its side.  It may have not reset??

#24 on the diagram upper right on the picture.

5B3D84AD-1B1C-4C0A-99E3-0AABF4FBCA87.png

713E40CF-CFB4-402A-9006-CA5583FEFE12.png

Just to be sure i have the complete picture.
Did it just not start after falling over or does he still not start?
When you go down you have to turn the contact off and back on to restart it because the bank angle sensor need a reset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

It could be the tilt or tip over switch…..it is supposed to stop the engine when the bike is on its side.  It may have not reset??

#24 on the diagram upper right on the picture.

5B3D84AD-1B1C-4C0A-99E3-0AABF4FBCA87.png

713E40CF-CFB4-402A-9006-CA5583FEFE12.png

Great tip but Checked it too, it is letting through power and I've tried to bypass it with no luck.

But it still might be the problem. 

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

Have you tried hooking an OBD2 reader to it?

No, I don't have access to one sadly. Will have to check with a shop 

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

When you go down you have to turn the contact off and back on to restart it because the bank angle sensor need a reset.

It still doesn't start. 

I've fallen plenty of times and it's been no problem, just turn the bike off and on again and it starts but this time something else went wrong... 

Disconnect the battery, let it sit 10 minutes or so, reconnect, and see if a re-boot fixes anything.

19 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

Disconnect the battery, let it sit 10 minutes or so, reconnect, and see if a re-boot fixes anything.

Done it, left it over night, didn't help. 

Thanks for all the replies btw 🙂

19 hours ago, Ture511 said:

It still doesn't start. 

I've fallen plenty of times and it's been no problem, just turn the bike off and ...

Hmmm.  probably won't hurt to take it a dealer if you've dropped it multiple times, I know they are designed to be dropped, but dropping any bike is not the ideal situation and especially one with all the bloody sensors these ones have.  Might be time to let an expert give it the once-over.

• 4 months later...
On 10/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

Emergency stop button?

On 10/29/2022 at 11:27 PM, whisperquiet said:

Side stand switch?  Clutch interlock switch?

On 10/29/2022 at 11:54 PM, Liquidape said:

On 10/30/2022 at 3:14 AM, prowlnS10 said:

On 10/30/2022 at 4:53 PM, Hollybrook said:

Have you tried hooking an OBD2 reader to it?

On 10/30/2022 at 5:11 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

On 10/31/2022 at 2:15 PM, winddown said:

Hmmm.  probably won't hurt to take it a dealer if you've dropped it multiple times, I know they are designed to be dropped, but dropping any bike is not the ideal situation and especially one with all the bloody sensors these ones have.  Might be time to let an expert give it the once-over.

So the bike is fixed.

The insurance company was ok with me giving it to the yamaha dealer to fix it. 

The mechanics had never even heard or seen this problem so it took some time before they could find the problem. 

It was the immobilizer that didn't recognize the key. Something in the key switch that broke.. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Ture511 said:

It was the immobilizer that didn't recognize the key. Something in the key switch that broke

Glad you got things fixed. Thank you for the feedback. Always good when the solution is shared!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Gotta love electronics. They’ll leave you stranded miles from civilization but at least no one will steal your bike…

If I had my choice I'd order one without an immobilizer, they are pointless really, when bikes get stolen here they are simply tossed onto a ute and driven away.

• Like 2

I’ve seen a couple posts stating that the first year T7s in Canada/US didn’t have immobilizes, just the European models. Can anyone confirm this? 

28 minutes ago, Samm said:

I’ve seen a couple posts stating that the first year T7s in Canada/US didn’t have immobilizes, just the European models. Can anyone confirm this? 

I've read this as well. And it seems to be true: US models were shipped with two keys only, EU models come with a third key with a red sticker on it (instead of the Yamaha logo). This one is for reprogramming the immobilizer if your keys aren't being recognised any more, or if you have lost yours.

Awesome! Maybe I’ll get a key cut just to test the theory…

5 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I've read this as well. And it seems to be true: US models were shipped with two keys only, EU models come with a third key with a red sticker on it (instead of the Yamaha logo). This one is for reprogramming the immobilizer if your keys aren't being recognised any more, or if you have lost yours.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Samm said:

Awesome! Maybe I’ll get a key cut just to test the theory…

It's even mentioned in our manuals. So I think you could skip that test 😁

• Thanks 1