Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Personal air bag review - it works

NeilW

I was run into by an ATV and the impact did $4300 worth of front end damage. I faceplanted at 25-30mph and didn’t even have the air knocked out of me. My Klim Airbag deployed. I have been recently riding with the updated version that has airflow they was missing from the original version. 
here is my review. It works. 

klim-ai-1-rally-airbag-review-3.jpg

Klim Ai-1 Rally Airbag Vest Price: A common complain is that airbags for motorcycle riders are too hot in the summer—this...

• Like 4

Glad to hear that it works and you are alright!!!

That must have been a severe hit 😥

3 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Glad to hear that it works and you are alright!!!

That must have been a severe hit 😥

Start watching at 1:09. I have a dash cam 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, JB700 said:

I use a Helite airbag vest, for peace of mind and safety reasons

I wish more riders wore airbags.  in 2014 a buddy was saved on his Goldwing with the built in airbag.  Everyone laughed at the GW airbag but it worked for him

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I wish more riders wore airbags.  in 2014 a buddy was saved on his Goldwing with the built in airbag.  Everyone laughed at the GW airbag but it worked for him

True, I think they are the best bang for buck, to reduce torso and spine/neck injuries

• Moderators

I have been riding with a new Klim Ai-1 Rally Airbag vest since early August and find the ventilation is effective up to around 90° F.  Much above that and it's just hot, especially if worn in stop and go traffic or while low gear riding off-road.  I still wear it if it's going to be above 90°, but try to limit my slow speed riding and pay extra attention to hydration. 

It's been seamless as far as the one update I've installed and as far as comfort, unless it's hot out, I often forget I'm wearing it.  

One minor point in the Ultimate Motorcycing review, the off-road mode subscription is called the " Adventure " mode, not Rally, just so there's no confusion what you're getting.  The Adventure mode is described on the Klim website as the following: " Adventure Mode (this is an optional detection mode on top of Street Mode, optimized for off-pavement adventure and dual-sport riding)".

I've used the Adventure mode many times and thankfully  haven't experienced any of the specific triggering algorithms and hope to keep it that way.

The vest is a great piece of mind, not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm getting to the point where I'll use every advantage I can to keep from getting injured so I can continue to ride.  The ATV collision @NeilWhad is proof enough to me that it's worth having that extra layer of protection. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Updating my review above:  The In N Motion App had notified me I needed to Synchronize my data and gives you a step by step process how to do so.  Basically you remove the " brain" module from the vest, plug in the charger, connect via wifi and start the synchronization process.  Instructions state you might need to leave it plugged in overnight to complete the process.   After 13 hours mine was still indicating it was " in process of uploading " so I left it going until completion, which totaled 17 hours.  I contacted In N Motion about the fact that I wanted to interrupt the sync to use the vest, but was concerned about screwing something up. Here's their response:

Thank you for contacting the In&motion customer care. The last synchronization was done on November 13, 2022 at 18:07. You can unplug the In&box at any point during the synchronization if you need to use the airbag system. When the synchronization is stopped, the In&box will go back to the upper inflator LED in a solid red color. Once the In&box is plugged back in it will pick up the synchronization from where it was left off.

Reader's Digest version,  if your sync isn't done and you want to use the vest, unplug the charger and go for your ride.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

36 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Updating my review above:  The In N Motion App had notified me I needed to Synchronize my data and gives you a step by step process how to do so.  Basically you remove the " brain" module from the vest, plug in the charger, connect via wifi and start the synchronization process.  Instructions state you might need to leave it plugged in overnight to complete the process.   After 13 hours mine was still indicating it was " in process of uploading " so I left it going until completion, which totaled 17 hours.  I contacted In N Motion about the fact that I wanted to interrupt the sync to use the vest, but was concerned about screwing something up. Here's their response:

Thank you for contacting the In&motion customer care. The last synchronization was done on November 13, 2022 at 18:07. You can unplug the In&box at any point during the synchronization if you need to use the airbag system. When the synchronization is stopped, the In&box will go back to the upper inflator LED in a solid red color. Once the In&box is plugged back in it will pick up the synchronization from where it was left off.

Reader's Digest version,  if your sync isn't done and you want to use the vest, unplug the charger and go for your ride.

Good info. The longer you wait to sync by charging it when ON, the more data there is to transfer. If you own the In&Box then they will alert you 1x per year. If you are on the subscription plan then they alert you monthly. You don’t have to wait for the reminder to sync, you can sync any time or every time you charge. 

Edited by NeilW
Add info

• Moderators

Thanks Neil. Interesting to note that in my case,  I've been on the annual subscription plan since August and my first Sync notification didn't appear until early November. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I haven't seen this posted before, so thought I'd note this for those who might be interested. My last ride was 7 days ago when I noticed my Klim Airbag vest battery level at 49%. Figuring I'd get one more ride before charging it, today I turned it on with the normal double tap and the lower left hand red led illuminated along with the normal upper left hand green led. When I booted up the app to check the battery level, it showed a 29% battery level and noted I had 5 hours of battery life left. The upper right hand green led also lit when I obtained a GPS signal, but the lower left hand red led remained lit. After about an hour ride, the red led was still lit, so it went straight to the charger.

Nothing concerning, but without the App letting me know why the red led was illuminated, I would've gone online to see what that indicated, or not ridden until it has been charged. Occasionally I've left my phone behind on rides, but this is a good reason ( along with the obvious) to have the App available to answer a question as to the vest status.

11 minutes ago, AZJW said:

I haven't seen this posted before, so thought I'd note this for those who might be interested. My last ride was 7 days ago when I noticed my Klim Airbag vest battery level at 49%. Figuring I'd get one more ride before charging it, today I turned it on with the normal double tap and the lower left hand red led illuminated along with the normal upper left hand green led. When I booted up the app to check the battery level, it showed a 29% battery level and noted I had 5 hours of battery life left. The upper right hand green led also lit when I obtained a GPS signal, but the lower left hand red led remained lit. After about an hour ride, the red led was still lit, so it went straight to the charger.

Nothing concerning, but without the App letting me know why the red led was illuminated, I would've gone online to see what that indicated, or not ridden until it has been charged. Occasionally I've left my phone behind on rides, but this is a good reason ( along with the obvious) to have the App available to answer a question as to the vest status.

Totally agree. Same with many of the newest products like the Cardo packtalk Edge, my Fobo tire pressure indicators etc …

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

Totally agree. Same with many of the newest products like the Cardo packtalk Edge, my Fobo tire pressure indicators etc …

The last time I went for a ride, the night before:

Plugged in my Cardo Edge to charge

Plugged in my Brake Free to charge

Plugged in my Klim Airbag to charge

Plugged in my Somewear Sat comm to charge

Plugged in my Insta 360 camera to charge

Plugged in my Klim battery heated gloves to charge

Laid out my Firstgear  heated clothes - shirt, pants and controller

Tested my Garmin 700i to make sure it connects to the Satellite system.

Made sure I put the SD chip back into my front/rear dash cam unit.

Put a coat of Raincoat on my faceshield.

Are these the "good ol' days"?

On 10/31/2022 at 2:52 AM, NeilW said:

Start watching at 1:09. I have a dash cam 

Sure looks like you ran into the quad instead of the other way around. They were ahead of you at impact.  
Sorry about the bike. Glad to hear the air bag worked and you were unscathed. 

21 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

Sure looks like you ran into the quad instead of the other way around. They were ahead of you at impact.  
Sorry about the bike. Glad to hear the air bag worked and you were unscathed. 

I was going straight, passing the quad as he was slowing and angling to the right. He turned hard left directly into me. YES, I should not have attempted to pass him. Totally DUMB move and I paid the price for that dumb move. Anytime I see a quad or SxS I stop and wait for them to be out of site. 

6 hours ago, NeilW said:

The last time I went for a ride, the night before:

Plugged in my Cardo Edge to charge

Plugged in my Brake Free to charge

Plugged in my Klim Airbag to charge

Plugged in my Somewear Sat comm to charge

Plugged in my Insta 360 camera to charge

Plugged in my Klim battery heated gloves to charge

Laid out my Firstgear  heated clothes - shirt, pants and controller

Tested my Garmin 700i to make sure it connects to the Satellite system.

Made sure I put the SD chip back into my front/rear dash cam unit.

Put a coat of Raincoat on my faceshield.

Are these the "good ol' days"?

I know, we’ve got all these gadgets, then praise the Tenere for its simplicity and no frills. 🙂

• Like 2

Wow, that is a lot of  gear to charge up!  I only have a Sena 20S to charge, though I keep my phone charged each night and have it in my tank bag on a charger when riding.

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

Wow, that is a lot of  gear to charge up!  I only have a Sena 20S to charge, though I keep my phone charged each night and have it in my tank bag on a charger when riding.

Kind of silly, isn't it?

I am one of those boy scout types that carries the kitchen sink. 18 and 21 inch tubes and a tubeless tire repair kit - for someone else.....

I forgot to mention :

Check charge on the Tusk Battery Jumper

• Haha 2

I have a Cardo but mainly for the GPS instructions and music and a phone.
On my trips i also have the camera's, in that case i can charge the powerbank while i ride and when i'm at the camp i start charging the battery's and overnight i charge the phone.
I do have heated gear but they're connected to the bike battery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lifetime warranty issue:

Heads up on the Klim vest. I purchased one this summer, I wear one layer under it and it fits well. It does get a bit hot, but not horrible. I purchased it after a report of a highway rider accident and the State Patrol stated the rider's air bag vest was a great benefit to the rider after hitting a deer.

After riding a few times in rougher 2 track the zipper became separated in the middle of the zipper, remaining a attached at the top and bottom. I noticed this on 2-3 separate occasions after taking off my jacket after the ride. It never happened on highway rides.

Having an air bag vest separate at the zipper is not a comforting feature.

I sent it back to Klim USA in Idaho, explaining the issue. They have reviewed the case and are not yet stepping up and offering to replace the zipper or vest. I would be satisfied with a zipper replacement.  I understand that they can not find the issue, I inspected the zipper and there is no visible broken or misaligned connections in the zipper.

What torques me, it that they don't believe me.  

I had a phone call the the customer service rep yesterday, I will let you know of the final outcome.   Hopefully Klim does the right thing and a) believe the customer and b) correct the issue.

• Like 1