Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ProTaper Evo Adv Low / Handguards

PNGL

I've scoured the internet and found a few instances of people talking about putting these bars on Teneres and cobbling together this and that to make certain handguards work with them. Can anyone tell me pointblank what to buy to put some worthwhile handguards on my T7 with these handlebars. Trying to figure it out from the various posts I've seen has left me more confused and annoyed than enlightened. 😑
I really WANT the HDB kit, but am not changing my top clamp, because my phone is and will stay mounted to the center of my bars. Any help or suggestions otherwise will be very much appreciated, as I'm ordering the handlebars today.

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

• Moderators

@PNGLI'm running oem bars ( for now) so I can't help with the Evo question, but you mention you don't want to change out your top clamp to keep your phone centered. I'm running the HDB handguards and folding mirrors setup with my GPS mounted to the HDB top clamp, centered.  Would this setup work for you? My opinion is that HDB is the strongest available and I've tested it to prove it! 

20221110_104856.jpg.68de998aa20c9f5a1a3a37d1ce517b87.jpg20221110_104907.jpg.b196779c504e99622fdffdd672f11703.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, PNGL said:

I've scoured the internet and found a few instances of people talking about putting these bars on Teneres and cobbling together this and that to make certain handguards work with them. Can anyone tell me pointblank what to buy to put some worthwhile handguards on my T7 with these handlebars. Trying to figure it out from the various posts I've seen has left me more confused and annoyed than enlightened. 😑
I really WANT the HDB kit, but am not changing my top clamp, because my phone is and will stay mounted to the center of my bars. Any help or suggestions otherwise will be very much appreciated, as I'm ordering the handlebars today.

PNGL, see my write-up here on fitting Barkbusters with that bar.  It worked out really well for me.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, AZJW said:

@PNGLI'm running oem bars ( for now) so I can't help with the Evo question, but you mention you don't want to change out your top clamp to keep your phone centered. I'm running the HDB handguards and folding mirrors setup with my GPS mounted to the HDB top clamp, centered.  Would this setup work for you? My opinion is that HDB is the strongest available and I've tested it to prove it! 

After a good bit of searching, I found a case similar to the one I currently use, but it has a ball mount (rather than the straight handlebar mount). I'm waiting to hear from the manufacture about the diameter of the ball to figure out if it will work with that top clamp setup. However, I'm still unsure if the HDB setup will work with the ProTaper Evo ADV handlebars. I may just have to bite the bullet and just MAKE it work if it doesn't want to...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@PNGL Have you gotten the ProTaper EVO Adventure bars ( standard or High?)  installed together with the HDB handguards yet? If so, curious as to whether or not you retained the oem bar weights?  My oem bars work fine in that configuration,  but looking to switch to the standard EVO Adventure bars.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

30 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@PNGL Have you gotten the ProTaper EVO Adventure bars ( standard or High?)  installed together with the HDB handguards yet? If so, curious as to whether or not you retained the oem bar weights?  My oem bars work fine in that configuration,  but looking to switch to the standard EVO Adventure bars.

Not yet. Gotta wait until after Christmas time.

• Like 1

I used the BB bar weight, with the universal bar end mounts with a spacer from the Tenere specific kit. 122mm grips.

8E1AC129-9EAD-4A19-9591-C9BE91C6215C.jpeg

963611DE-3DB7-4770-AC0E-0D5A62FF9ECA.jpeg