Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Brake Light Not Working

AdamG

I wanted to create this post to see if anyone else has come across this issue. I recently installed a Tusk fender eliminator kit and two sets of Speed Metal LED turn signals on the bike and I thoroughly tested all of the signals and lighting before finishing the completed wiring to be safe. Everything worked as it should. I went for a ride last weekend and on my way home I was honked at by a driver stating my brake light was out entirely. 

The brake light and license plate light will not illuminate at all even after the engine has started. The signals still work and none of the fuses are blown. I removed the brake light to see if there was an issue there but I could not find anything. 

I'm hoping for some recommendations on how to solve this issue before needing to go to the dealer. 

Can you jumper the power/ground wires to a know power supply (battery on or off the bike) to see if it lights up? If it does, then you probably have a wiring problem. If is doesn't then it likely needs replacing (or its wiring is damaged). This bike has a very simple wiring system on it (as opposed to a CANBUS system), so if the fuse is good, and the light is good, you've damaged a wire somewhere.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I can try jumping it. I checked the wiring and the plug to the tail light and did not see any visible damage. The wiring to the tail light itself was unchanged. 

Maybe the issue is coming from the aftemaket license plate light as this and the brake light run on the same fuse/wiring system (or so I believe, if I recall correctly from another forum post)?

20 minutes ago, AdamG said:

I would also like to admit after looking at the manual, there is a second fuse box that contains the fuses I am looking for... what a humbling discovery

• Like 3

• Moderators

Moved from General Discussion.

You might also double check your ground wire by using a jumper wire directly to the battery neg post.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS