Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Heavy Tires

Chainslap

Does anyone have feedback from a performance standpoint, acceleration or suspension effects, from running tires that are a few pounds heavier than stock. I am looking at running Motoz Rallz but am concerned about the weight and side effects of the heavy weight. I just bought the bike. 300 miles on it but want to put more dirt worthy tires on as soon as possible. Thanks for your time.

• Like 1

That's more of an issue with light low powered bikes but the T7 will cope with that just fine. Lot of happy RallZ users here, i didn't had the chance to try them.

• Moderators

@Chainslap Welcome to the forum and glad to see another AZ T7 owner on here.  To answer your question,  I'm on my 2nd MotoZ RallZ rear tire 150/70-18 ( already have a spare one waiting) and am very happy with performance,  handling and longevity.  The T7 has plenty of power for offroad work and I'm sure you'll see a great improvement in off road handling and traction.  I however would not recommend the RallZ for the front, not too many happy reports on that front.  Don't get me wrong,  MotoZ makes great tires and they are spendy,  but the RallZ will be my go to rear for quite awhile.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks for the reply’s. It’s surprising how hard it is to find tire weights listed in the specs. Too bad to hear about the Rallz front because I had already ordered that tire for the front😬hopefully the performance is at least bearable! As for the rear I acted fast and just ordered a 908RR for the rear. I agonized over that for a few days. I’m sure the 908 will be good on the dirt hopefully it’s bearable on the road. I’ll probably give the Rallz a try in the rear when the 908 wears out. AZJW, what tire are you running in the front?

• Moderators

@Chainslap Up front, currently I'm on my second Dunlop TMM (Trail Max Mission) as it's on road manners are much better than the RallZ front.  Offroad, it's heaps better than the oem Pirellis, but not as good as the RallZ so picking your tire based on your intended use is the best advice I can offer.  I ride about 50/50 and the TMM front/RallZ rear seems to be what works for me here on AZ rock strewn roads. If I did a higher percentage of offroad, the RallZ would definitely be up front. 

You might also take a look at reviews of the MotoZ Dual Venture as a front tire. Reviews are mixed and I haven't been convinced ( yet) to switch from the TMM.  Post up your results as we ride in pretty much the same backyard and another's evaluation is always welcome.

Here's a thread that might be of interest. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I’ll be sure to post results. Hopefully I’ll have them mounted by next week. I realize I’m starting out a little on the aggressive side but I really do prefer riding in the dirt and just playing around but mileage wise I get more asphalt. I just figure I can always dial it back on the next set if they’re a little unmanageable on the road. If you’re ever down in Sierra Vista, shoot me a message and we can go for a ride.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:38 PM, AZJW said:

@Chainslap Welcome to the forum and glad to see another AZ T7 owner on here.  To answer your question,  I'm on my 2nd MotoZ RallZ rear tire 150/70-18 ( already have a spare one waiting) and am very happy with performance,  handling and longevity.  The T7 has plenty of power for offroad work and I'm sure you'll see a great improvement in off road handling and traction.  I however would not recommend the RallZ for the front, not too many happy reports on that front.  Don't get me wrong,  MotoZ makes great tires and they are spendy,  but the RallZ will be my go to rear for quite awhile.

I agree with this 1000%

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have 500 miles on this combo now. About 60% dirt, South AZ desert. Waayyy better in the dirt than stock tires. I’m happy with the dirt performance. On the street they start to float above 70 unless it’s some new assault with no seams in it. At 500 miles now they do seem to be more stable on the road than when they were new. I try to stay of main roads as much as possible so they work great for me. I would definitely do the rear 908RR again. The front….I’ll look around but I’d sure hate to lose off road performance. I would rather loose off-road grip in the rear before the front. They are wearing well so It looks like I have at least a couple if not a few thousand miles to think about the next set. 

• Like 1