Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front mudguard

Motoadventure

I am currently fettling  an old WR450 front mudguard in attempt to see weather it’s possible. Looks like a bit of fettling but possible I intend to have a break hose made from under the bottom yoke and 2 longer hoses utilising the curves section of solid hose over the mudguard. I will then completely remove the lower one. 

Anyone done this????  

86FCC0D3-04F5-477C-B275-7B434914AD61.jpeg

32058453-FD86-469A-A28B-3F1BD1095740.jpeg

917C0476-9454-4893-AE62-AEFF756AD1E7.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Motoadventure said:

I am currently fettling  an old WR450 front mudguard in attempt to see weather it’s possible. Looks like a bit of fettling but possible I intend to have a break hose made from under the bottom yoke and 2 longer hoses utilising the curves section of solid hose over the mudguard. I will then completely remove the lower one. 

Anyone done this????  

86FCC0D3-04F5-477C-B275-7B434914AD61.jpeg

32058453-FD86-469A-A28B-3F1BD1095740.jpeg

917C0476-9454-4893-AE62-AEFF756AD1E7.jpeg

I was thinking of doing something similar Mick and nice thinking. I think the trouble we'll have is the mudguard holds together the top of the fork guard covers. I think the only easy way is to cut the standard mudguard down as much as possible to leave in place the bit the fork guards bolt too. Like a little upside down u shape over the front wheel if you know what I mean. Maybe they'll be sturdy enough to hold in place with just the lower bolts near the fork bottoms like my KTM, but it will need testing.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 3

How is the clearance between the back half of the wr450 fender and the motorcycle frame/radiator?

Edited by DizzyNick

i have replaced the original fender with an old acerbis one. it is practical but i need to work on the looks. 

i have also eliminated the abs and one brake disk. i am happy with the break power now that i instelled braided hoses. 

regards, 

wolfram

2056E0FF-6D14-46D0-83E5-B927711973C7.jpeg

76130777-0EF5-4329-B52D-9D2BA9100415.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tonyubsdell said:

i have replaced the original fender with an old acerbis one. it is practical but i need to work on the looks. 

i have also eliminated the abs and one brake disk. i am happy with the break power now that i instelled braided hoses. 

regards, 

wolfram

2056E0FF-6D14-46D0-83E5-B927711973C7.jpeg

76130777-0EF5-4329-B52D-9D2BA9100415.jpeg

Nice modding.

How did you blank off the front ABS out of interest? Did you leave the rear ABS intact?

Also, what tyres are they and are they good in mud?!

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

good morning rich,

the complete abs is gone saving approximately10 pounds. 

rubber is pirelli scorpion rally 140/80/18 at the rear. its circumference and thus hight is different to the original tire, this lifts the rear by close to an inch.

in the mud the rally is good, but it is better for sand and rock. for mud there are better tires with better self clearance and longer knobs that do not stand so close together.

i would place this tire close to a michelin desert tire. 

i like the tire as it is also a good compromise on road. the front tire needs a couple hundred kilometres to loose its nervousness on asphalt and gain traction. it is not so good on wet tarmac though...

cheers,

wolf

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tonyubsdell said:

good morning rich,

the complete abs is gone saving approximately10 pounds. 

rubber is pirelli scorpion rally 140/80/18 at the rear. its circumference and thus hight is different to the original tire, this lifts the rear by close to an inch.

in the mud the rally is good, but it is better for sand and rock. for mud there are better tires with better self clearance and longer knobs that do not stand so close together.

i would place this tire close to a michelin desert tire. 

i like the tire as it is also a good compromise on road. the front tire needs a couple hundred kilometres to loose its nervousness on asphalt and gain traction. it is not so good on wet tarmac though...

cheers,

wolf

Interesting and thanks. I've heard stretching a 140 over the standard rim is not a great idea and makes it feel weird on the road as too shallow and not so round. But I have no experience myself. You can get new wheels built in any width now via Rally Raid products so you can put real enduro tyres on it. Expensive but could be worth it if you're doing loads of off road.

Well done on the ABS. I always turn it off off-road, and it's kicked in on the dry on the road too much for my liking (especially the rear, when braking hard on the front downhill), when pushing on. How long did it take you to remove the ABS?

Rich

• Like 1

you are perfectly right with your mentionning the 140 sized beeing a bit weird on the road. but i can put up with it.

a pair of more suitably sized wheels is on my wish list, rally raid products is on my radar.

they have the italian brand bartubeless in their catalogue. i contacted the italians before christmas and they replied, that the non tubeless wheels will only be available later in 2020. 

i am not a fan of tubeles rims as i like to be able to repair punctures in the field and also use tire clamps (?)in order to avoid a ripped off  valve when on low pressure.

tubeless might be lighter though...have you any experience with tubeless rims and low tire pressure as is required in soft sand?

cheers,

wolf

6 minutes ago, tonyubsdell said:

you are perfectly right with your mentionning the 140 sized beeing a bit weird on the road. but i can put up with it.

a pair of more suitably sized wheels is on my wish list, rally raid products is on my radar.

they have the italian brand bartubeless in their catalogue. i contacted the italians before christmas and they replied, that the non tubeless wheels will only be available later in 2020. 

i am not a fan of tubeles rims as i like to be able to repair punctures in the field and also use tire clamps (?)in order to avoid a ripped off  valve when on low pressure.

tubeless might be lighter though...have you any experience with tubeless rims and low tire pressure as is required in soft sand?

cheers,

wolf

Hi Wolf,

Great and all sounds good. No experience of tubeless rims. I mainly ride off road on a KTM525EXC and run HD tubes and Mitas CO2 rear/Maxxis front. Great combo for real off road.

Rich

4 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Hi Wolf,

Great and all sounds good. No experience of tubeless rims. I mainly ride off road on a KTM525EXC and run HD tubes and Mitas CO2 rear/Maxxis front. Great combo for real off road.

Rich

cool thanks, will try your tire suggestion next time when i order new rubber.

wolf

to remove complete abs and replace brake hoses with braided steel ones and get them in working order - bleeding and test ride - took me the better part of a sunday afternoon. including tea time. the carbon canister went also on this opportunity. makes some nice room behind the cylinders.

wolf

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonyubsdell said:

cool thanks, will try your tire suggestion next time when i order new rubber.

wolf

They only do it in a max of 130 width, so it would need a "proper" off road rear rim size for info.

It's very hard wearing and I honestly find it OK on the road, but it's clearly a knobbly if you know what I mean. It's been a classic go-to tyres for years for green laning.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tonyubsdell said:

to remove complete abs and replace brake hoses with braided steel ones and get them in working order - bleeding and test ride - took me the better part of a sunday afternoon. including tea time. the carbon canister went also on this opportunity. makes some nice room behind the cylinders.

wolf

I caught that post on advrider. Always appreciate your pioneering and thorough write-ups - keep it up!

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

3 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

I caught that post on advrider. Always appreciate your pioneering and thorough write-ups - keep it up!

thank you for the compliment. 

will try and comply. 😉

keep you posted about next bits and pieces.

cheers, salut,

wolf

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 8:22 PM, DizzyNick said:

How is the clearance between the back half of the wr450 fender and the motorcycle frame/radiator?

Hi 260 mm from tyre to underside of mudguard and 240 mm maximum travel for the forks so should be oK 

22 hours ago, tonyubsdell said:

thank you for the compliment. 

will try and comply. 😉

keep you posted about next bits and pieces.

cheers, salut,

wolf

Will do 

• Like 1

Made some spacers from 12mm aluminium bar drilling out a 6mm hole cutting to length and getting the mudguard in the correct position. Still in the prototype stage but needs a little fettling. I am experimenting with an old WR450 mudguard before drilling a new one but intend to make 3mm ally plate on top and underneath for extra strength. 

Cheers Mick 

C949685C-B90C-45D4-A5B7-E17B3CD613BE.jpeg

638382C7-6BD8-483F-B9CA-31E01AA5BADF.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, cabby said:

Don't, just don't. 

Why?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Motoadventure said:

Why?

It is our job to let the Tenere become the dirt bike it wants to be. That low mudguard has to go.

• Like 2

Looking at changing the front hoses to two straight ones from the ABS pump to get rid of the link pipe as I am sure this is not needed. It is removed on all road racing bikes and the ABS works fine without it. 
has anyone done this? 

2 hours ago, Motoadventure said:

Looking at changing the front hoses to two straight ones from the ABS pump to get rid of the link pipe as I am sure this is not needed. It is removed on all road racing bikes and the ABS works fine without it. 
has anyone done this? 

sorry, can‘t help you with experience, but to my understanding it should be no problem. 

i have deleted the whole abs and one disk. after replacing the original rubber brake hoses with braided steel ones the brake felt more accurate and direct.  might be even better with the remaining two disks.

cheers,

wolfram

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 1/14/2020 at 5:03 PM, cabby said:

Don't, just don't. 

20200118_110451.thumb.jpg.7a24eb8500705749b684b2dbc34c5622.jpg

• Like 3

Quite had it a couple of times stuck on a trail and also damaged the hose. I am working on my prototype high Mudguard / Fender conversion using a WR 450 Fender and an off set bracket. Also modifying the hoses. posting photos as I proceed. 

Thanks Mick   

IMG_6540.jpg

• Like 3