Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Poll-do you use Sena or Cardo Mesh ?

NeilW

I have both Sena 50C and Cardo Packtalk Edge and have reviewed both for the mag. Just curious what all of you around the world think of these two specific Comm units. 

" I bought the Sena 50 series because:

" I bought the Cardo Edge because:

Thanks all and Happy Holidays.

I use the Cardo Packtalk bold. It had the best reviews when i bought it and the unit is really waterproof.
In use since half 2020 and still happy.
I bought a duo pack together with a friend who also wanted a com set.

I had to google those things to see what the heck you were talking about...

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

56 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I have both Sena 50C and Cardo Packtalk Edge and have reviewed both for the mag. Just curious what all of you around the world think of these two specific Comm units. 

" I bought the Sena 50 series because:

" I bought the Cardo Edge because:

Thanks all and Happy Holidays.

I think the most critical decision on picking between the Sena and Cardo units is which type the majority of the people who you ride with use. I’ve been a Sena user since they first came out. But as of late a lot of the people I ride with have Cardo. So I picked up one of them as well.

There are pluses and minuses for each.

The water proof claim of Cardo is fine but I’ve never had an issue with my Sena units in the rain. Even during 12 hour 500 mile back road slogs through heavy rain. The rest of my “waterproof gear” wasn’t but the Sena hasn’t had a problem. 

• Like 3

I am using a pair of old Sena SMH1o's with a Mesh adapter. They are 10 years old and with the exception of changing the batteries once they have been awesome.  All of the group we ride with has Sena's so we have never looked at anything else.

Funny tid bit. On long day rides the people using 50's all run out of battery before the day is over. The old 10's and Mesh adapter last all day and then some.

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 3

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

have had a sena.   ever sins a cardo user now.

its not just about the water resistance.  but the unit and costumer care i think is better at cardo [even tough a bit slow sometimes]

warranty's at sena are most of the time push off warranty's, at least in my case. mine had water damage and i still had 3 month of warranty.

charged my cardo bold once when it suddenly started to rain like dog's.   even if its not under warranty then. thy just replaced it.

even with knowing the truth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I use the Cardo Packtalk bold. It had the best reviews when i bought it and the unit is really waterproof.
In use since half 2020 and still happy.
I bought a duo pack together with a friend who also wanted a com set.

It is a money saving benefit to buy the duo with a friend. Two complete kits for a discount. 
Any one using the Cardo edge with mesh? 
with sena mesh you can just ride up to a group and start talking. With cardo mesh you have to have an admin allow you into their group.  Anyone experience that as an issue?

1 hour ago, Simmons1 said:

I am using a pair of old Sena SMH1o's with a Mesh adapter. They are 10 years old and with the exception of changing the batteries once they have been awesome.  All of the group we ride with has Sena's so we have never looked at anything else.

Funny tid bit. On long day rides the people using 50's all run out of battery before the day is over. The old 10's and Mesh adapter last all day and then some.

Your reply rings so true. I also have an Smh10 and paired it with my sena mesh. Great way to stay technologically updated for a reasonable. Price. And the benefit of battery life. Mesh on the cardo and sena units are only good for about 6 hours. In my last tour, my buddy and I would charge at our sit down lunch. That would get us to the motel at night. I tried to tell him that the blue tooth would last all day but he didn’t like the Bluetooth quality-for an unexplainable reason. 

12 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Your reply rings so true. I also have an Smh10 and paired it with my sena mesh. Great way to stay technologically updated for a reasonable. Price. And the benefit of battery life. Mesh on the cardo and sena units are only good for about 6 hours. In my last tour, my buddy and I would charge at our sit down lunch. That would get us to the motel at night. I tried to tell him that the blue tooth would last all day but he didn’t like the Bluetooth quality-for an unexplainable reason. 

When riding two up on the Wing I am Bluetoothed to my other half and the Mesh adapter and Meshed to everyone else riding on different bikes.

We found Sena's Mesh to be awesome on group day rides. As mentioned above the Sena Mesh automatically connecting everyone has been a game changer. No more fiddling around pairing different people you just ride up and start talking.

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

I had a Sena 10 and upgraded to the 50 for better battery life. The battery life was good, but then deteriorated so it wouldn't last a day. I finally got some tech support from Sena after trying for 2 weeks. They had me update the software, which I already did, and then set everything to factory defaults and my battery life went back to all day. It is starting to get shorter again.

1 minute ago, JRS700 said:

I had a Sena 10 and upgraded to the 50 for better battery life. The battery life was good, but then deteriorated so it wouldn't last a day. I finally got some tech support from Sena after trying for 2 weeks. They had me update the software, which I already did, and then set everything to factory defaults and my battery life went back to all day. It is starting to get shorter again.

That’s an interesting issue. If you do the factory reset again, will you get back to all da my battery?  Strange how yours is doing that and others are not. Maybe turn off some features that are running ?

I don't know what features might be running in the background. I'll listen to music from my phone. That generally doesn't seem to use much battery. We don't talk a lot over the Sena. What is funny is I get a voice saying my battery is low. Sometimes it is and others I can listen to music and talk for several more hours with no problem. I never know if it is low or not.

1 minute ago, JRS700 said:

I don't know what features might be running in the background. I'll listen to music from my phone. That generally doesn't seem to use much battery. We don't talk a lot over the Sena. What is funny is I get a voice saying my battery is low. Sometimes it is and others I can listen to music and talk for several more hours with no problem. I never know if it is low or not.

Which 50 do you have ? C with camera or R or S?

• Moderators

A pair of Sena 30K units give us about 6-7 hours of " have you heard this one?" conversations. In other words,  there's a fair amount of chatter going on and yes, the mesh network is a game changer.  I ride with a friend who has a Cardo Pack Talk and after a bunch of black magic, we got them to connect via BT. Range, as expected, wasn't as good as the mesh, but acceptable.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 minutes ago, JRS700 said:

It is an S with no camera.

If it it just you and the wife, are you doing mesh or Bluetooth? Mesh will only last 6 hours even not “talking” as the channel is always open. Bluetooth will last 10-13 hours for sure. 

42 minutes ago, JRS700 said:

Just me and a riding buddy. I've never have used mesh.

Hmm. Sorry this is happening. Annoying for sure         I carry a usb battery and recharge at lunch. 

I have a very old SMH-10.  Still works great and last ALL day.  If they still make SMH-10’s, I’d buy a new one if my old one failed tomorrow.  

• Like 2

I have a Packtalk Bold which I bought from someone who upgraded to an Edge. I got it because the reviews for Cardo were better than Sena's at basically most metrics, though since I ride solo it's used pretty much just for GPS, music, and answering calls.

• Like 1

I have non of them. If i ride with my buddies, i dont want to listen to their crap...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

I have non of them. If i ride with my buddies, i dont want to listen to their crap...

Ha, I knew someone would pop up with none on purpose 🙂

• Like 1

@BikeBrother, exactly.... 

Point to your tank when gas needed

Point to stomach when hungry

Sing in your helmet when bored

Bob Seger "Turn The Page" 1973

On a long and lonesome highway
East of Omaha
You can listen to the engine
Moanin' out his one note song
You can think about the woman
Or the girl you knew the night before
But your thoughts will soon be wandering
The way they always do
When you're ridin' sixteen hours
And there's nothin' much to do
And you don't feel much like ridin'
You just wish the trip was through

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

9 hours ago, BikeBrother said:

Lol. I agree.   

however,  sometimes I can ride my FJR some of my accounts during work hours.   It’s very important I can take or return a phone call.  I also love to listen to music while on the street.  When I hit the trail or gravel, music is off.  

Having communications is super important while with a group IMHO.
Normally the group I ride with uses Baofeng radios with the lapel handset.  Put the radio in your backpack and clip the mic to your shoulder strap.  The mic is close to your helmet so you can hear someone good enough to at least stop and see what they need.  

these radios are very cheap and reliable. 

Baofeng BF-S112 Two Way Radio Speaker,Black https://a.co/d/7ENs7R9

Baofeng BF-888S Ham Two Way Radio, Walkie Talkie with Rechargeable Battery Headphone Wall Charger Long Range 16 Channels (2 Pack) https://a.co/d/f6MT2rR

Edited by Redneckj
  • Like 1