Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Poll-do you use Sena or Cardo Mesh ?

NeilW

I had 2 50s die. One on a 5k mile trip. I bought a 3rd at a dealer, finished the trip and sold it when I got back. I now have a cardo edge. About the only things I like better on the Sena is the headphone jack on the base and it's easier to turn off. Otherwise, I'm loving the cardo. 

Just now, S.Ga.Rider said:

I had 2 50s die. One on a 5k mile trip. I bought a 3rd at a dealer, finished the trip and sold it when I got back. I now have a cardo edge. About the only things I like better on the Sena is the headphone jack on the base and it's easier to turn off. Otherwise, I'm loving the cardo. 

Do you ride with a cardo mesh group or solo ?

1 minute ago, NeilW said:

Do you ride with a cardo mesh group or solo ?

Mostly solo but me and a friend split a dual pack of the edges and we've used the mesh. It works great as does the voice commands. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, OK185 said:

I echo to just get the brand your friends are using.

But I would say Sena has a poor lineup right now. The only devices to consider imo are the 50R and the 50S. Maybe the 30k but it's old tech and too expensive for a 5 year old device.

The 50S is just too huge and bulky for me to mount on my helmet. Also no waterproof certification which is a no-go for the price.

50R is non detachable which might be an issue for some and apparently poor battery life.

If you are going the Sena route I would actually recommend the U-COM 16 from Sena partner Interhphone.

It's basically a rebranded Sena 50R with a different form factor, same software and probably also same hardware inside. Battery is on the back of the helmet though which makes the device slimmer and you can replace batteries as needed.  It has full compability with Sena, which I can confirm.

I echo " what your friends have" but I have both the Cardo Edge and 50C and used them both extensively for my reviews. I have ridden with most of the Sena models ( for 15 years) in torrential rains and non have failed. Sena Mesh is much easier to connect a group in - do nothing except show up and talk on the same channel. The Cardo Edge requires the traditional stop and press buttons- everyone at the same time, and if someone new, later on wants to join, the ADMIN of the group you just created, has to admit them. If the admin left the group to go home, you have to create a new group. Meaning, everyone stop, press buttons ( or the app) and create a new group. Also, Here is another Cardo Edge issue./ 10 people riding, all connected go in for lunch. All connected on the ride. Everyone  powers down their Edge's.  9 come out to continue the ride and one goes home ( or their battery died). A new group has to be created for the remaining 9. with one being designated the ADMIN by an extra button press.  With Sena 50's, it is really open mesh, you czan have a brief conversation with riders you have never met coming in the opposite direction on the freeway, briefly. the Sena Mesh is truly OPEN mesh. Both Sena 50 and Cardo Edge only last a measured 6 hours on Mesh, so bring a battery to charge them at lunch.

Also, if you have an older Sena, you can buy the $150 Mesh adapter and not have to buy a whole new headset to connect with a Sena Mesh group.

Here are my reviews

cardo-packtalk-edge-review-12.jpg

Cardo Packtalk Edge Review: A while back we tested a pre-production unit. This time we dig deep into the capabilities of the final version.
sena-50c-review-motorcycle-mesh-bluetoot

Sena 50C Review: This newest addition to the mesh-intercom-capable 50 series includes a 4K camera with multiple capabilities to record your ride.
sena-mesh-review-for-bluetooth-intercom-

Sena +Mesh Test: If you have an old Bluetooth-only Sena unit and you'd like to upgrade it to Sena Mesh Intercom, you're in luck.

• Like 1