Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear tire removal.

Chainslap

Holy Moly! I just got the rear tire off to put on a 908RR and I know now there is now way I am removing that tire from the rim on the trial with my kit. Who has the secret? Do those motion pro bead breakers work?

• Moderators

Yes, they do.  I've had mixed results with them, but you're right, trailside dismounts will be a bear.   The oem rear tire is hated by all who have tried to break the bead.  Stiff side wall tires such as MotoZ are a bear as well.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I did not use any lube because I don’t  carry it but I may try to find a small spray bottle and a place to stash it. It was a huge help getting the new tire on. I’m gonna have to order the bead breakers because I don’t see any other way to move that tire the solid one inch of bead shelf to get it into that valley. I tried to use a hammer under the tire lever but gave up and used C clamps. 

I have a small spay bottle from a travel kit, put some dishwasher with water in it and that's with my kit.

I used the MP bead breaker and one MP aluminum iron to remove the rear OEM tire with no lube. I won't say it was easy but certainly doable on a trail. 

• Haha 1

MP Bead breaker ordered. That little lever is spendy but worth it if it fits on the bike and breaks the bead. I saw a picture one time that looked like someone had drilled holes through the handles and bolted them to where the passenger foot pegs were removed. 

The hardest part of the tire change was getting the rim out of the tire. I’m glad that does not have to be done for a tube repair. 

I've used the MP bead breaker of other bikes, but had no success on the T7.  Other than my riding buddies kick stand the  C-clamp is the only thing I found that will work on the trail.

• 7 months later...

I use MP bead breakers trail levers (the short aluminium ones). I use these on the trail and at home in the garage.

I've found that some tyres are easier than others, but patience is key, just keep working the bead breakers around the rim about every 4 inches. Don't focus in one area. It will look like you're not doing anything, but you should notice that it will get easier to slip the bead breakers between the tyre and rim as you come around on subsequent passes. It will go... eventually. 

The hardest tyre I've come across to de-bead was a road-biased tyre on a friends Africa Twin (I forget the make), I had to go around the rim about 4 times with the bead breakers until it finally relented, and the front was just as bad! 

With the Mitas E09's I'm currently using I'll usually need to go around once, and they will usually pop off the bead on the second pass.

• Like 2