Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rigg Gear Hurricane Dry Duffel Bag

prowlnS10

Nelson Rigg - Rigg Gear Hurricane SE4040 Dry Duffel Bag

I wanted a dry bag large enough to fit all my camping gear that was narrow enough to not interfere with my Giant Loop MotoTrek Soft Panniers & fit on the passenger seat between the rider seat & my Tactix waterproof case mounted to my Yowling Aluminum Luggage Rack. I had been previously using the Enduristan Tornado 2 Large (51 litre) Pack Sack with their RokStrap mounting system, which is high quality, reasonably priced, but too long at 24", could not be opened without releasing the mounting straps & would not hold it's shape when empty or partially full.  

Nelson Rigg has a reputation for innovative, quality, well priced motorcycle specific products. Their Rigg Gear - Hurricane SE4040 Dry Duffel Bag is a new design/evolution of previous bags that incorporates many desirable & convenient features, including their patented RIGG STRAP system that secures the bag to the bike via aluminum clasps & molle webbing with different height attachment points (see video below), while allowing access to the roll top opening & interior of the bag independent of them, facilitates bag removal without removing the straps from the bike + does double duty as tie down straps for other items when the bag is not in use.  While the bag is made from waterproof & durable single layer 24 oz PVC Tarpaulin, it is likely not as abrasion resistant as the thicker, textured 3 layer material Enduristan uses, but should provide reasonable service life if used & maintained properly. The included pressure release valve should be standard fitment on all dry bags...Enduristan needs to adopt this feature, as it really aides sealing the roll top closure & shrinking the bag volume. 

The bag can be used with or without the 3 plastic stiffeners that hold the bag's shape even when empty & offer additional protection isolating interior items from harder surfaces like racks.  The bag has no additional interior storage pouches & 2 bonded side pieces of PVC material located about the same height as the Nelson Rigg Logos on the long sides of the bag + a velcro bottom strap to hold the large plastic insert in place along with 2 end pouches for the smaller plastic inserts that could be repurposed as storage pouches with those plastic stiffeners removed. The top straps can be configured as a handle for carrying or for use as a back pack or latched straight across the bag via quick release buckles to cinch the bag & roll top tight. The base has an additional dimpled layer bonded to the bottom for increased durability, less slippery interface with other surfaces & aesthetics hiding the bottom attachment points for the roll top end straps. 

Nelson Rigg could have added additional molle webbing on the ends & perhaps the top for increased versatility & storage options & I would like to see manufacturers of soft luggage add some form of clasp/anchor point for a locking cable/strap, like Kriega & LoneRider offer...but would increase costs. If you are looking for a budget friendly, good quality, functional, waterproof, basic roll top dry bag the Rigg Gear Hurricane series includes 40 & 25 litre Dry Duffel Bags + several other bags.

Rigg%20Gear%20Hurricane%20Duffle%20Bags.jpg
Rigg%20Straps%20(2).jpg

Rigg%20Gear%20Hurricane%20Collection8.jpg

Description, Video & Installation Instructions from the Nelson Rigg Website

• LIFETIME WARRANTY
  • 100% waterproof roll bag, all seams are electronically heat welded
  • Watertight roll closure with quick release buckles
  • Removable internal stiffener helps bag hold its shape
  • Securely mounts using 4 NEW RIGG STRAP™ system
  • Can be mounted across or along seat or tail section
  • Made from waterproof and durable 24 oz. PVC Tarpaulin
  • UV Coated outer material cleans easily and prevents slipping or marking
  • Purge valve makes for compression easy
  • Dual-purpose carry handles can be used as compression straps
  • Reflective accents for enhanced visibility
  • Easily mounts to motorcycle, PWC, and snowmobile
  • Available in Black/Gray
  • Main compartment measures: 20”L x 11”W x 11”H; holds approx. 40 liters

Nelson Rigg Hurricane Bags Video

Hurricane SE4040 Installation Instructions 

SE-4025_SE-4040%20Installation%20Instructions%20Page%201.jpg  SE-4025_SE-4040%20Installation%20Instructions%20Page%202.jpg

Fitment on my Tenere 700

See this link for list of camping items packed in the bag. 

20221209_200723.jpg 20221209_200447.jpg

The Hurricane black/gray colour scheme with yellow branding compliments my Matte Black T7 & should integrate nicely with the similar coloured Giant Loop MotoTrek bags & Fandango tank bag + have a large reflective strip on each end.

20221209_200940.jpg 20221209_200520.jpg

20221209_200742.jpg 20221209_200753.jpg

RIGG STRAPS can be used as tie down straps when not using the Hurricane Bag 

20221209_201946.jpg

Some other Dry Bags for Consideration

Dry bags come in a variety of sizes, styles, price points, materials, features, functionality & target audience with many of the basic roll top designs being adapted from kayaking or watersports origins.  However, motorcycle specific expedition/dual sport/adventure genre bags with more robust/durable designs & features are available & generally occupy the higher price points. This is not an exhaustive list, just a few examples of what I consider to be popular & well sorted options available at this time. Do your homework to determine which bag best matches your specific needs, usage & budget.

Top Opening Roll Type Style

I was really drawn to the LoneRider Overlander dry bag for the many features & robust design but could not justify the premium price given my particular needs & occasional usage.  Black Friday pricing of <$100 for the Rigg Gear Hurricane won out....but the LoneRider seems positioned near the top of the world travel/back country dry bag genre.

2021-Lone-Rider_Overlander-02.jpg

Enduristan Tornado 2 Pack Sacks have been a favourite of Races To Places Lyndon Poskitt & proven to offer durable, high quality products.

9-Easy-Stretches-to-Release-Lower-Back-and-Hip-Pain-info.jpg

Tusk Dry Bags likely offer the best value currently available if your priority is basic waterproof functionality.

tus_21_dry_duf_bag_med-1922740002.jpg

Double Ended Opening Roll Top Design

Mosko Moto has a few options for enthusiast including their Backcountry series that integrates into their other bag systems.  It offers dual opening ends, a beavertail & many other features.

mosko-moto-duffle-backcountry-40l-duffle-pack-v2-0-28290536013885_800x.webp

Kreiga US-Drypacks offers a variety of quality dry bag options that integrate with their bag systems including the US 40 Rackpack series.  It offers dual opening ends , a beavertail & many other features.

US-40+rackpack-main.jpg

Giant Loop's Tillamook dry bag offers dual opening ends, their renowned quality/durability that is popular with serious adventure riders at an attractive price + can integrate with their other bag systems.

Tillamook-Closed-Straps.jpg
Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Nice review ( links are appreciated) and I concur on the versatility and value of the Nelson Riggs Hurricane bags.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Another bag that belongs in this compilation is the Kriega US-40 Rackpack.  It opens from either end and can be configured as a 18.8" long 28l bag up to a 25.5" 40l bag. 

image.png.66f07620af149362aa3010e500313f26.png

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reminder of the Kreiga bags...have added it to the list 🙂 

I bought a Nelson Rigg roll top waterproof bag back in 2016.  It has been GREAT.  To consider which bag to purchase,  I first decided to purchase my camping tent.  I used the length of the tent storage bag to determine which waterproof bag to purchase.  

Normally in the roll top bag I store:

Tent, sleeping bag, down blanket, backing stove/pan kit, dehydrated meals.  

On the roll top bag there are some plenty of mollie strap tie points.  I use these to rok strap my Giant Loop Armadillo fuel bag.  

the pics are for reference only.  

804D86FD-2AA3-4A63-BA28-93E51EA96B31.jpeg

E54779DF-37BB-44DC-9000-594A1D19A6A1.jpeg

• Like 2