Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Exhaust that won't chew up swingarm?

OneEyedTiger

Hi I just got my tenere 700 on Wednesday and I'm doing research on a future exhaust upgrade. I mostly use the bike on the street but might go offroad in a civil way.

Is it important to get a high mount exhaust if you mostly use it on the street? Are there normal mount aftermarket exhausts that don't make contact with the ground if you have crash bars (givi crash bars) or that chew up the swingarm when the bike is dropped? 

HP Corse SP-1 high

MIVV Dakar

Huzzar

Camel ADV

These are the slip-on solutions I know. I ride an HP Corse, my buddy Ray rides a MIVV Dakar.

Both look and sound awesome while not being too loud. The MIVV sounds even better imho.

Only a high exhaust will be protected in case of dropping her. I dropped mine twice on the road (actually while parking) - guess on which side 😁

• Like 2

You probably know Murphy, his law states that you will crash on the occasional offroad bits and wil end up on the right.
You can crash a couple off times and bend the exhaust (i did) but you have to think about checking the exhaust and bend it back when necessary (i did too).
This can only be done couple of time before metal fatigue will break the bracket from the frame.
Crashbars protect the front.
End result: No, it's not important but it is a smart investment for the near future. So you can discover that you might go offroad more often as you think because that's what this bike is all about.
Like @Tenerider said, i have a MIVV Dakar and love it.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Tenerider said:

HP Corse SP-1 high

MIVV Dakar

Huzzar

Camel ADV

These are the slip-on solutions I know. I ride an HP Corse, my buddy Ray rides a MIVV Dakar.

Both look and sound awesome while not being too loud. The MIVV sounds even better imho.

Only a high exhaust will be protected in case of dropping her. I dropped mine twice on the road (actually while parking) - guess on which side 😁

Those are all good products that will help mitigate frame/ swingarm damage when dropped on the right side.  One note, the Camel-ADV pipes are not slip on products as they require trimming the oem exhaust mount. It's a great solution, I have installed one on mine, just be aware those require some cutting to install

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I went with the Camel exhaust and it’s the best aftermarket product I’ve installed so far.  I’ve had multiple hard drops on it with no I’ll effects. 

I don’t see the point in the swing arm guard. The first thing you do after picking up a dropped bike is check for damage. We all know that the stock exhaust hanger bends in so before riding off you check clearance and kick the muffler back out…

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fzrcraig said:

There is a UK vendor (forgot who) that make a swing arm protector for low exhausts.

I cant think of the brand at the moment but I think it comes from T7rally.com

A59C03C5-987C-48EF-B66B-8DC444AE979E.thumb.jpeg.37417868ba2483c963253045657505ba.jpeg.jpg.2956f2176ef3f223828847816476afe8.jpg

13 minutes ago, Samm said:

I went with the Camel exhaust and it’s the best aftermarket product I’ve installed so far.  I’ve had multiple hard drops on it with no I’ll effects. 

I don’t see the point in the swing arm guard. The first thing you do after picking up a dropped bike is check for damage. We all know that the stock exhaust hanger bends in so before riding off you check clearance and kick the muffler back out…

Not everybody remembers to check for damage after picking the bike up after a drop, especially when you're in the heat of the moment like a mud hole.  The internet is full of pictures of scraped upswing arms that show this.  Other than that, $50 vs $700 is probably the other point.  Eventually though, I do hope to allocate some funds and move to the Camel exhaust myself.  Good looking set-up IMO.

Edited by DT675
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

You probably know Murphy, his law states that you will crash on the occasional offroad bits and wil end up on the right.
You can crash a couple off times and bend the exhaust (i did) but you have to think about checking the exhaust and bend it back when necessary (i did too).
This can only be done couple of time before metal fatigue will break the bracket from the frame.
Crashbars protect the front.
End result: No, it's not important but it is a smart investment for the near future. So you can discover that you might go offroad more often as you think because that's what this bike is all about.
Like @Tenerider said, i have a MIVV Dakar and love it.

Thanks, have you found the fueling to be good with the Mivv Dakar? Not running lean? Do you use the baffle?

Another question. For those that have the high mount exhaust, what areas of the bike touch when it is dropped? I'm especially curious when crash bars are installed. When I had previous bikes I would have frame and swingarm sliders and that would prevent any bike surfaces from touching the ground.

2 hours ago, OneEyedTiger said:

Thanks, have you found the fueling to be good with the Mivv Dakar? Not running lean? Do you use the baffle?

It ran fine with the exhaust but i also installed the Rapid Bike Evo because i also have an K&N air filter and wanted the throttle respons a bit better.

3 hours ago, OneEyedTiger said:

Another question. For those that have the high mount exhaust, what areas of the bike touch when it is dropped? I'm especially curious when crash bars are installed. When I had previous bikes I would have frame and swingarm sliders and that would prevent any bike surfaces from touching the ground.

You won't be able to protect an offroad bike from all eventualities.

Sliders might work on flat tarmac. I had axle sliders on mine, too - removed them.

It highly depends on the terrain which parts would touch the ground. Think of rocks and non-flat ground.

I can safely say that the bars will touch the ground, and the stock wind-deflectors will break. Invest in real handguards. On flat surfaces at low speeds the rear usually won't touch the ground, the bike will rest on bars, wheels, footpegs.

Everything else is very individual. Quite some guys run the bike without crash bars.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

It ran fine with the exhaust but i also installed the Rapid Bike Evo because i also have an K&N air filter and wanted the throttle respons a bit better.

If you don't mind me asking, what tail tidy do you use?

5 minutes ago, OneEyedTiger said:

If you don't mind me asking, what tail tidy do you use?

A cheap one from Amazon.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to revive an old topic but just noticed some swingarm wear on my bike as well, I have a rally edition with the Akrapovic exhaust which I'd be keen to keep. Am I correct in assuming, though, that there is no high mount solution for the stock/Akrapovic and I'd have to go with one of the above options?

Never mind crashing I clonked that abortion of a stock exhaust twice in a week reversing out my workshop door

On 12/22/2022 at 5:49 AM, r1superstar said:

I went with the MIVV high mount.  It will be here any day.

I also bought a MIVV, then after receiving it realize it won't connect to my AltRider rear rack with the existing bracket. Shouldn't be too much work, and it will be a winter project. 

I went with the MIVV Dakar high mount (gen 1 mid-pipe).  I have listed most of the T7 aftermarket options with pics in this blog 

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for a high exhaust, great sound, full decat, and reasonable price...that was my holy grail.

What I came up with:

A full system for $538 shipped that sounds awesome, looks great, and removes danger of swingarm damage seemed like a great solution for me personally. The only downside thus far is the silencer support covers the Black Widow sticker. I think they provided some stickers so will remove this one and apply another in a better place probably.

Sound Video (sound without rear db killer but there is an extra front db killer installed)

image.png.fe0682c76bff8196b5f08aa6ba171a79.png

I'm working on making my tail tidy from the stock parts and 3D printed parts.

Cut off the large black plastic to leave the underside metal support which has 2 bolt holes. For now, I used the cheap license plate frame that the dealer put on as the plate holder. Thinking to put the stock turn signals in this black plastic part:

image.png.a5dd1450d355a8a275946b359d92c6b4.png

image.png.4178d45b8eb18a27b0321386f09def0d.png

And I've 3D printed a better license plate support:

image.png.0c3f87dce695cd947e1211b66fdcbe7b.png

Edited by Chadillac
typo
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chadillac said:

I was looking for a high exhaust, great sound, full decat, and reasonable price...that was my holy grail.

What I came up with:

A full system for $538 shipped that sounds awesome, looks great, and removes danger of swingarm damage seemed like a great solution for me personally. The only downside thus far is the silencer support covers the Black Widow sticker. I think they provided some stickers so will remove this one and apply another in a better place probably.

image.png.fe0682c76bff8196b5f08aa6ba171a79.png

Sound Video (sound with reat db killer and extra front db killer installed)

I'm working on making my tail tidy from the stock parts and 3D printed parts.

Cut off the large black plastic to leave the underside metal support which has 2 bolt holes. For now, I used the cheap license plate frame that the dealer put on as the plate holder. Thinking to put the stock turn signals in this black plastic part:

image.png.a5dd1450d355a8a275946b359d92c6b4.png

image.png.4178d45b8eb18a27b0321386f09def0d.png

And I've 3D printed a better license plate support:

image.png.0c3f87dce695cd947e1211b66fdcbe7b.png

This is the exhaust setup I'm planning, how is the clearance from that Aliexpress pipe to the swingarm? Looks like you didn't need to custom fab anything, the muffler mount is the stock one or from Black Widow? Also curious on your license plate/tail tidy. My only thought was to lighten up the existing, as I don't mind it sticking out back further to prevent mud from flying around on my back.

25 minutes ago, RiderEh said:

This is the exhaust setup I'm planning, how is the clearance from that Aliexpress pipe to the swingarm? Looks like you didn't need to custom fab anything, the muffler mount is the stock one or from Black Widow? Also curious on your license plate/tail tidy. My only thought was to lighten up the existing, as I don't mind it sticking out back further to prevent mud from flying around on my back.

@RiderEh I am still final fitting everything, but the pipe to swingarm clearance looks good from the side (about 1" between the side of the swingarm and the pipe). However, I need to check the up and down clearance to see if the lower spring on the mid pipe could hit the brake line protector in the event of a rear suspension bottom out. This is the same issue that others have reported with the MIVV exhaust. I need to unbolt the rear shock and pivot the swingarm all the way up to see if it would make contact.

The kit comes with a bracket that mounts under the fender, then I connected the Black Widow silencer support to it. No fab work required thus far, except I need to cut the bolt that connects these two as it is very long and may make contact with the tire under a full bottom out. Not sure on that, but it looks like it may be possible, so I'll cut that bolt shorter just in case.

image.png.cd893b72db6b31ecd48665acbaa5b42d.png

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Oxxa said:

I have the HP Corse high mount, its the best in the market and the sound is crazy crazy good

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about my Camel-ADV Rally exhaust! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=IGa6AS45rCT-iwm0&v=0MjQqBnTOVA&feature=youtu.be

• Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I am more than happy with my Camel standard pipe.

It took a bit of fitting because I used my own muffler.

It has a 54mm inlet so I had to carefully machine a sleeve to fit.

I like the hanger as it looks more finished than the others.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.