Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bypassing the clutch switch

S.Ga.Rider

I saw a video on how to do this but cant find it now. Anyone know of a how to on disable it? I installed a rsc clutch lever and need to disable the switch.

My clutch switch is practically useless and neutral starts is the norm.  There were reports of weird power issues with the neutral switch bypassed.  Please give us some feedback if you notice anything.

I left it unplugged and rode for 100 miles today. It ran fine but I thought it felt down on power but that may be my imagination.

It is my understanding the bike has a different map for each gear and also a neutral map.

When the clutch is pulled the bike switches to the neutral map.

I would not run with the wires jumped for this reason.  

I haven't confirmed it myself, but I assume when the clutch is pulled the circuit is closed.  Pull the wire, get a tester and check the switch leads on the lever to see if when pulled it closes the circuit.  If so just disconnecting the wire should have no effect.  If the opposite and the circuit opens with the lever in I would jump the wires so the bike runs on the gear maps.

I have read that when jumping the wires you will notice the bike doesn't show eco mode on the dash anymore.  Another sign the bike is running on the neutral map.

If you can deal with the need to start the bike in neutral every time I would say just run it disconnected.  

Check MT07 forums as they usually have more info on these items.

fz07_sharer_logo.png.3fd3e4f66c84e31060f

So in search of a lighter clutch pull I ordered an RSC clutch to install on my 16 FZ-07. I realized it did not offer any mounts or tabs to operate the clutch switch and I figured I could just jump...

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

To answer my own question on the clutch switch, I emailed 2 wheel dyno works. This is the reply for anyone curious.

Yes, neutral ignition mapping and fuel mapping is completely different than individual gear mapping. The clutch switch needs to be functional.

• Like 1

If your clutch lever won't support having a clutch switch, what about putting a relay on clutch switch that is actuated by the start switch? A normally open one would then close when you hit the start button, letting you start in gear without having the clutch switch jumped all the time. It would be up to you to make sure you pulled in the clutch when starting, but you already are in that situation.

I guess there is the possibility that the ECU would not detect the clutch switch after the start switch is activated, but you could easily test for that before making any wiring changes.

• 11 months later...
On 1/24/2023 at 11:29 AM, Hollybrook said:

If your clutch lever won't support having a clutch switch, what about putting a relay on clutch switch that is actuated by the start switch? A normally open one would then close when you hit the start button, letting you start in gear without having the clutch switch jumped all the time. It would be up to you to make sure you pulled in the clutch when starting, but you already are in that situation.

I guess there is the possibility that the ECU would not detect the clutch switch after the start switch is activated, but you could easily test for that before making any wiring changes.

I ended up putting the factory perch back on and cut down an aftermarket lever to size of the rsc. Not ideal but it worked.