Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

AltRider raised front fender

Vmanjeff

I purchased a used T7 and it has the AltRider raised front fender. The bike has seen some dirt and rocks close up and the fender is scuffed up. Deeper than a hard buff will take out. I like the overall character and history etched into the engine guard and other parts from kissing the ground but would like to replace the fender. 
wondering if anyone knows the company AltRider gets the fender from. I did a few searches and came up with several different fenders but not that one. Tried the email link on the AltRider site but it wouldn’t send through my phone browser so thought I’d check here. 
thanks!

4 hours ago, Vmanjeff said:

I purchased a used T7 and it has the AltRider raised front fender. The bike has seen some dirt and rocks close up and the fender is scuffed up. Deeper than a hard buff will take out. I like the overall character and history etched into the engine guard and other parts from kissing the ground but would like to replace the fender. 
wondering if anyone knows the company AltRider gets the fender from. I did a few searches and came up with several different fenders but not that one. Tried the email link on the AltRider site but it wouldn’t send through my phone browser so thought I’d check here. 
thanks!

Polisport.  I've got a black one that was never installed as I prefer a full coverage fender.  Agree with DuncMan, Lyndell at AltRider is awesome and happy to help.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DuncMan said:

You can contact them directly via email: info@@altrider.com

You will come to a lovely lady whose name is Lyndell. I'm sure she can help you out.

Thanks!  I assume the double @@ is a typo?  Email seemed to send. 

7 minutes ago, Vmanjeff said:

Thanks!  I assume the double @@ is a typo?  Email seemed to send. 

lyndell.j@altrider.com

• Like 1

Attached are the UPC tags from both the AltRider Fender  (1st pic Black) and the full sized blue one I went with.  There was a pretty good video (<

>) disputing the benefit of a high fender, testing low and different high fenders, that concluded that the low fender was best and the high Super Moto fender was the worst.  Having locked up a front low fender in AZ peanut butter mud (high clay content) conditions, I'm not willing to do that again, but I certainly prefer the looks of the high fender.  Ironically, my wife was more against the appearance of the low fender than I was.  One of the concerns raised in the video was the accumulation of mud in the radiator, which my full fender covers.  I did however do a muddy ride with the stock skid plate and collected a considerable amount of mud in it (see pic), but the skid plate I have now goes up to where the fender starts.

20230112_182707[1].jpg

20230112_182729[1].jpg

20221227_101201[1].jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, e010584 said:

Attached are the UPC tags from both the AltRider Fender  (1st pic Black) and the full sized blue one I went with.  There was a pretty good video (<

>) disputing the benefit of a high fender, testing low and different high fenders, that concluded that the low fender was best and the high Super Moto fender was the worst.  Having locked up a front low fender in AZ peanut butter mud (high clay content) conditions, I'm not willing to do that again, but I certainly prefer the looks of the high fender.  Ironically, my wife was more against the appearance of the low fender than I was.  One of the concerns raised in the video was the accumulation of mud in the radiator, which my full fender covers.  I did however do a muddy ride with the stock skid plate and collected a considerable amount of mud in it (see pic), but the skid plate I have now goes up to where the fender starts.

20230112_182707[1].jpg

20230112_182729[1].jpg

20221227_101201[1].jpg

Thanks for this. Very interesting. You bring up some points about the radiator caking up with mud which seem to be the major drawback of the high fender. If I could source a OEM fender for cheap I would try cutting it just forward of the bolt mounts loosing the front of it and keep the shorty high fender. Might end up pretty cool looking and then have the best of both worlds. 
I myself will probably never get stuck in an intense mud situation anyway but you never know. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Vmanjeff said:

Thanks for this. Very interesting. You bring up some points about the radiator caking up with mud which seem to be the major drawback of the high fender. If I could source a OEM fender for cheap I would try cutting it just forward of the bolt mounts loosing the front of it and keep the shorty high fender. Might end up pretty cool looking and then have the best of both worlds. 
I myself will probably never get stuck in an intense mud situation anyway but you never know. 

Here you go.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

Here you go.

Darn!  And I thought I was special for thinking about that! 😂

nice to see it though without going to the trouble of spending the money and then not liking it. I kinda dig it. Putting it in my ‘to mod’ list. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 9:37 AM, AZJW said:

Here you go.

Do you have anymore photos of your front hi-lo fender setup?  I checked with Yamaha for a new fender but their price was way more than I wanted to pay and then cut the fender!  But it seems there are alternatives that will work. 
interested in where you cut it and how. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Vmanjeff said:

Do you have anymore photos of your front hi-lo fender setup?  I checked with Yamaha for a new fender but their price was way more than I wanted to pay and then cut the fender!  But it seems there are alternatives that will work. 
interested in where you cut it and how. 

Sorry, not my post, I just linked it for you. @Lupo was the OP, but he hasn't been on this board since August 2020, so doubtful my linking his name will bring this to his attention.   Regarding the price of a new front fender, try posting a WTB ad under T7 parts, with all the high fender conversions, Shirley ( Ref Airplane for @Hibobb) someone will have a gently used one for a reasonable price. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Have you checked out the official conversion available from dealers? Price is obviously available on the “app” I like the look of high fenders but it’s a bit of a “workaround” afterthought on this bike. They also don’t do too well at speed. Sexy though. Yamaha keep the rear of the lower for protection, and the beak of the upper. Still not 100% finished though in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Have you checked out the official conversion available from dealers? Price is obviously available on the “app” I like the look of high fenders but it’s a bit of a “workaround” afterthought on this bike. They also don’t do too well at speed. Sexy though. Yamaha keep the rear of the lower for protection, and the beak of the upper. Still not 100% finished though in my opinion. 

Didn’t know the factory had such an option. Hmmmm

£266. Must be someone on here who’s fitted one already? 
they do black white and blue. Available for all t7 models. 

C0523143-2E1D-420E-9B29-20353401D180.png

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Would consider that but because it looks pretty cool! But the bike already has the Altrider high fender so might make more sense to just find a used low one and cut it. Or aftermarket low. 

On 1/16/2023 at 3:37 PM, Dougie said:

Seems to have all the disadvantages of both (clogging low fender and flinging mud/water out in front of high fender).  Looks aside (very subjective anyhow), the low fender at it's highest position is definitely the most cost effective solution, but the brake line over the low fender still seems to be a potential failure mode averted by most high fender kits (or single caliper solutions).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 9:31 PM, e010584 said:

20230112_182707[1].jpg

20230112_182729[1].jpg

20221227_101201[1].jpg

Thank you for that video. Confirms my choice to leave the OEM fender in place. 

Form

Follows

Function

• Like 1