Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bike-Seal Puncture prevention and r?

ninot7

hey all. Came across this and wondered whether anybody got any experience with this product? Any problems applying to inner tubes etc?

Any advice appreciated. 

image.png.797d156571f1282b58c2345fbab981c4.png

• Moderators

@ninot7 No experience with that particular product,  but I've been using OKO tire sealant in my dirtbike for about a year and guess it works.  I noticed a small nail between the knobs on my dirt bike's rear tire, but it wasn't leaking. I pulled the nail and no leaks, which was about 2 months ago and it's still holding air.

Subsequently,  I had a rear flat on my T7, so now I run OKO in that bike as well.  Linking it below,  but would guess any tire sealant is better than none.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, ninot7 said:

hey all. Came across this and wondered whether anybody got any experience with this product? Any problems applying to inner tubes etc?

Any advice appreciated. 

image.png.797d156571f1282b58c2345fbab981c4.png

Hey NinoT7, I squeezed a bottle into my tyres about 1,500 miles ago after I got stranded with a slashed tyre on a country road in Kent late on a Friday night and waited over 2 hours for Motorcycle SOS to pick me up…. I missed Strictly Come Dancing as a result! This on Aleks T700 SM with 17” wheels and Metzeler  Roadtec 01s. Had a bit left over and put it into my mountain bike tyres. No adverse effect on handling but have not had any punctures either to test it. You have to leave the valves at between 9 and 12 o clock if you don’t want to gum up your foot pump when checking tyre pressures…12 and 3 o’clock front tyres…. 

• Like 1

Fort Nine just compared how well these plug your....urethra.  Another hilarious video and pretty good comparison between three brands, totally worth a watch if you are considering tire sealant.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Now tested and so far it seems to be holding…. Got this nail in rear tyre on way into work this morning…. Pulled it out… it’s at an oblique angle but as was buried in at least a cm it must have hit the inner tube…. No air loss at moment… I hope the tyre is still inflated for homeward journey this evening…. 

9B2A136B-E505-4681-A0CD-FB5E5849E5D0.jpeg

8A519D7F-1766-49F0-97F8-FD6E3E0BCDB0.jpeg

Edited by wardylondon

i used to use this and will be doing so again with new bike

Prevent flat tires, balance your tires, increase road safety and improve your fuel mileage! Ride-On is the attractive all-in-one solution for the most common tire problems. This tire sealant also helps to maintain tire pressure...

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
26 minutes ago, SamiNami said:

Can you ride at highway speeds with these kind of liquids inside your tubes?

I've been running OKO tire sealant in the rear on my T7 for a few thousand miles without any issues. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

11 hours ago, SamiNami said:

Can you ride at highway speeds with these kind of liquids inside your tubes?

Yes, you can. The fluid even helps keeping the tyre balanced.

For tubeless systems I don't like the fluids because they are a real mess when changing the tyre. For tubes they are a decent option imho. Won't help with tears though, only punctures.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

1 minute ago, duibhceK said:

Yes, you can. The fluid even helps keeping the tyre balanced.

For tubeless systems I don't like the fluids because they are a real mess when changing the tyre. For tubes they are a decent option imho. Won't help with tears though, only punctures.

Do you have a brand that you recommend? Im located currently in Italy/Europe.

23 hours ago, SamiNami said:

Do you have a brand that you recommend? Im located currently in Italy/Europe.

I only have experience with Manol Reifen Doctor Tyre Sealant. Can't comment on any others, but Slime also seems to be popular.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

1 hour ago, duibhceK said:

I only have experience with Manol Reifen Doctor Tyre Sealant. Can't comment on any others, but Slime also seems to be popular.

Thanks. 

I would prefer a sealant that you can put into the tire before you get a puncture. This product seems to be ment for only after you have gotten a puncture.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a nail in my T7 rear tire and was told that replacement was the only option because "people don't patch motorcycle tires".  True or not? The nail is small and right in the middle of the tread.

Let me guess, they want you to buy a new rear tye AND tube?When i have a flat with a small puncture i just patch it.
Sometimes you discover it a bit late and you end up with the same small puncture in the tyre but the tube has more of a slash, in that case i change the tube.
Tubes are not that expensive so you can opt for a tube change which take te same time because you need to take the tube out to patch anyway.

• Moderators

I just dealt with that issue, Center of tread rear puncture.   Same story from tire shop " we don't patch tire" so seeing as the RallZ still had plenty of meat left and the puncture in the tire had already closed up and was extremely difficult to even find, a new tube was installed and that was 1,200 miles ago, still all good. I've since purchased a Rabaconda tire machine so no more dealers for me!