Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Engine and water pump Protection??

john_aero

While i know this can be a sore topic, but has anyone used some of the Chinese protection parts.

I have used them on my enduro bikes in past and was happy enough with them.

their engine and water pump protection parts look good value

For Yamaha Xsr700 Fz-07 Mt-07 Tracer 2014-2022 Tenere 700 Motorcycle Accessories Engine Protection Cover - Covers & Ornamental Mouldings - AliExpress

New Motorcycle Accessories Water Pump Guard For Yamaha Tenere 700 T7 T700 Tenere 700 Water Pump Cover 2019 2020 2021 - Covers & Ornamental Mouldings - AliExpress

Edited by john_aero

LOL - Listed under "Covers and Ornamental Mouldings".

If it was an original design and decent quality sure, why not. 

However considering the fact that GBRacing is a Euro based company and sells their covers for about 10 times the price listed I'd guess these are a straight rip off of the design. Whether that matters to you is the question. If not, get them, but expect to get a ration of crap over it if you advertise it because it does matter to others. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windblown said:

LOL - Listed under "Covers and Ornamental Mouldings".

If it was an original design and decent quality sure, why not. 

However considering the fact that GBRacing is a Euro based company and sells their covers for about 10 times the price listed I'd guess these are a straight rip off of the design. Whether that matters to you is the question. If not, get them, but expect to get a ration of crap over it if you advertise it because it does matter to others. 

ya i am not fan of direct rip off parts. if its a basic or universal design then no worries.

ya i am not fan of direct rip off parts. if its a basic or universal design then no worries.

Edited by john_aero
  • Like 1

I had one on mine and took it off. Seems it had it's own issues like catching on limbs and whatever and breaking bolts 

That's for the 2nd one. Haven't tried the first link. 

Edited by S.Ga.Rider
  • Like 1

I tend to not support communist China as much as possible, though sometimes, many times you have no choice. i especially cannot get behind direct ripoffs of other people doing all the hard work and engineering. I'm sure though if it's a ripoff of someone else's stuff, it's going to work. Hard to mess up exact replicas, if it is.

I've been very very happy with Triple Clamps Moto covers. And they're in Canada, which labor law wise just feels better. Costs about $100 more than the communist Chinese business, but in my opinion, worth it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

The real GB-Racing hold several patents on their products.

It's more than a shame that the Chinese even use the same badge on theirs.

https://www.gbracing.eu/AdditionalDepartments/Footer-Columns/INFORMATION/ABOUT-US

Yes seems like they even have some of there instructions done

to be honest when i spotted them i wasn't aware GB-Racing was an actual company hence the post

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

I tend to not support communist China as much as possible, though sometimes, many times you have no choice. i especially cannot get behind direct ripoffs of other people doing all the hard work and engineering. I'm sure though if it's a ripoff of someone else's stuff, it's going to work. Hard to mess up exact replicas, if it is.

I've been very very happy with Triple Clamps Moto covers. And they're in Canada, which labor law wise just feels better. Costs about $100 more than the communist Chinese business, but in my opinion, worth it. 

for like of side stand feet and i normally go china when so cheap but for protection I'll prob look at supporting a actual company

9 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

They often do a good job of copying stuff but the materials used will be cheap as possible so the quality still won’t be there. Not going on my bike. 

that's a very good point.

I have gotten some case guard in past for bikes and they seemed good quality. however i have also gotten some awful junk

I might just make my own

I have made Kydex case covers for a few bikes in past might do that again

• Like 1

You might want to take a look at this Youtube Video of thoughts on the T7 (after 300,000Klms in Australia) for water pump guard etc....very informative

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bighopper said:

You might want to take a look at this Youtube Video of thoughts on the T7 (after 300,000Klms in Australia) for water pump guard etc....very informative

Cheers will watch that this morning

that video was excellent and I do like those lads as they use the bikes

My only issue is I do drop bikes a lot. so may still get the pump and case covers just incase a stone or rock hit case

the acerbis plate looks like, just id prefer flay bottom for lifting on a stand

All items that makes dissapating heat more difficult and if you ride mud it will get stuk behind it making it worse.

In my opinion it's solving a possible problem by adding a certain problem.

• Like 3

Anyone that buys cheap chinese knock offs should hang their head in shame.

( note the lack of capitalisation reflects my contempt for Shet manufacturing and blatant plagiarism )

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

22 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

All items that makes dissapating heat more difficult and if you ride mud it will get stuk behind it making it worse.

In my opinion it's solving a possible problem by adding a certain problem.

I never looked at it that way

I have pierced cases in pact that's why I have always looked at fitting them on bikes

10 hours ago, Bighopper said:

Bugger, didn't see this and just started a new topic with TB's youtube.

On 1/18/2023 at 3:33 PM, johnnygolucky said:

I have a pair of Triple Clamp covers. I fitted the left side with minimal issues but no way was the right side going on. Two of the holes were half a hole out.

They were given to me and I am wondering if they are a Shet cheap knock off.

Now both are in a box in the far reaches of the garage.

( How come my Shet turns to Shet? Is "Shet" unacceptable? Normal speech here in Oz 🤣

Edited by Rider 101
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

I have a pair of Triple Clamp covers. I fitted the left side with minimal issues but no way was the right side going on. Two of the holes were half a hole out.

your not first say this and I have seen others mention it on other forums.

3 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

( How come my Shet turns to Shet? Is "Shet" unacceptable? Normal speech here in Oz 🤣

If not a cheap knock off, maybe TC just had a recent bad production run. I installed these in July 2021 with no issues. 

20210710_160708.jpg.aee797888603c1e69d35ce88cec9da2a.jpg20210710_160725.jpg.cd11571f674f1f0dab306306906fcf50.jpg

Totally different bike and design of course, but if not for the protector over it I'd have been walking out of the woods that day after my old R1200GSA's valve cover landed on a pointy rock during a nap in the woods. Based upon that experience I like the idea of protecting critical/somewhat exposed engine covers when off road in the rocky areas where I ride.

018.JPG.81832935f68a605ffa03b6736774a813.JPG 

• Like 1

I also have Triple Clamp covers. Mine went on with no issues at all.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / TDR 250 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Acerbis X-Power all the way.  They are on my bike.

They are injection-molded, a process that produces a vastly higher-quality part than thermoforming, which is how R&G and TCM make their parts.  It's like the difference between CNC machining and whittling wood.

On top of that, the Acerbis are cheaper by 1/3-1/2!  Maybe not as cheap as a knock-off, but they are of real quality, perfect fit, and they work.

FWIW I also had problems installing the Triple Clamp Moto covers, followed by a terrible customer service experience.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zero600 said:

Acerbis X-Power all the way.  They are on my bike.

They are injection-molded, a process that produces a vastly higher-quality part than thermoforming, which is how R&G and TCM make their parts.  It's like the difference between CNC machining and whittling wood.

On top of that, the Acerbis are cheaper by 1/3-1/2!  Maybe not as cheap as a knock-off, but they are of real quality, perfect fit, and they work.

FWIW I also had problems installing the Triple Clamp Moto covers, followed by a terrible customer service experience.

Good to know. I'll keep the Acerbis covers in mind if one of the  Triple Clamp Moto covers ever needs replacement.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / TDR 250 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

@Simmons1 Hope I didn't offend - I wasn't trying to criticize your setup or anyone else's.  Glad the TCM parts are working and continue to serve you for a long time.

Just now, Zero600 said:

@Simmons1 Hope I didn't offend - I wasn't trying to criticize your setup or anyone else's.  Glad the TCM parts are working and continue to serve you for a long time.

None taken. The Acerbis one's didn't exist when I bought the Triple Clamp ones or I may have bought the Acerbis.

• Like 2