Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ECU Re Flash - Exhaust and Header??

john_aero

I am getting my shopping list ready so i can save up and get parts for the bike

I would like do the following power mods to drop weight and save subframe

- camel adv exhaust link pipe and their own end can

- possible decat or dominator headder (cheap) from poland

- Pre filter

Will i need to re flash the ECU to run the above.

Also if i dont fit the header will i need to re flash?

Need to? No. The ECU will likely adapt to the new config well enough, plenty of examples of folks running similar without a flash.  However, if you want to enjoy smoother throttle response and perhaps a small bump in power then an ECU flash would be a good thing to put on the budget. 

27 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Need to? No. The ECU will likely adapt to the new config well enough, plenty of examples of folks running similar without a flash.  However, if you want to enjoy smoother throttle response and perhaps a small bump in power then an ECU flash would be a good thing to put on the budget. 

pretty much as expected

wonder is it best wait until warranty is up before adding these parts

• Moderators

Seeing as one has to " trim" the exhaust mount to install the Camel Rally pipe, I waited until my warranty had expired. Having said that, I'd wager that most never use their warranty and if riding aggressively enough ( only takes one drop) to damage the exhaust mount and possibly the frame, I'd probably go ahead with the installation.  My .02.

Edit: Regarding the ECU flash, it's not necessary,  bike runs fine with the stock ECU profile and the Rally pipe,  still delivering 62 mpg average.   I'm one of the twisted ones that enjoys the back rap during decels, so you probably shouldn't listen to me. 😉

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

Seeing as one has to " trim" the exhaust mount to install the Camel Rally pipe, I waited until my warranty had expired. Having said that, I'd wager that most never use their warranty and if riding aggressively enough ( only takes one drop) to damage the exhaust mount and possibly the frame, I'd probably go ahead with the installation.  My .02.

Edit: Regarding the ECU flash, it's not necessary,  bike runs fine with the stock ECU profile and the Rally pipe,  still delivering 62 mpg average.   I'm one of the twisted ones that enjoys the back rap during decels, so you probably shouldn't listen to me. 😉

well this is my first new bike and warranty is one item I’d prefer not mess with

ill ask dealer when collecting it.

remap I’ll consider after I ride it for a while. Considering they sell and akrapovic can with the rally I’m surprised they didn’t supply a new map

More I read up a lot say stock headers are very strong and may just leave them in place unless cat becomes a hot mess

I went the Rapid Bike way.
It will adapt better and you get a better throttle respons as a bonus.

That’s an interesting option and like fact can keep stock ecu as a spare

plus isn’t mad more expensive than a re tune

does it help it harsh engine braking 

11 minutes ago, john_aero said:

That’s an interesting option and like fact can keep stock ecu as a spare

plus isn’t mad more expensive than a re tune

does it help it harsh engine braking 

The Rapid Bike Easy, EVO, and Race are piggyback units. They do not replace the stock ECU.

I have the Rapidbike EVO on another bike that has an ECU that defies being flashed. It works very well and "learns" about the same way the Factory ECU does. Highly recomended for bikes that cannot be flashed. 

On the T700 I opted to be able to flash my ECU to eliminate the additional failure point of having a piggyback system and you can actually do some stuff you can't do with Piggyback units and you retain the ECU's ability to adapt and learn, you just shift base mapping and programed target AFR. 

Edited by Windblown

9 hours ago, Windblown said:

The Rapid Bike Easy, EVO, and Race are piggyback units. They do not replace the stock ECU.

I have the Rapidbike EVO on another bike that has an ECU that defies being flashed. It works very well and "learns" about the same way the Factory ECU does. Highly recomended for bikes that cannot be flashed. 

On the T700 I opted to be able to flash my ECU to eliminate the additional failure point of having a piggyback system and you can actually do some stuff you can't do with Piggyback units and you retain the ECU's ability to adapt and learn, you just shift base mapping and programed target AFR. 

Ah ok i taught was a replacement unit. I must read some more into them and see what suits my needs

Ill just ride the bike first for a while before do anything

• Like 2

Smart move. First find out what your problems are and not start solving the problems others had. You're not them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Smart move. First find out what your problems are and not start solving the problems others had. You're not them.

well protection i will  buy as i said i drop my bikes a lot.

however i have no interest on adding parts for the sake of it

exhaust all i want to do is remove risk of hangar been broken. however i don't have funds just yet

i would prefer ride the bike, research done and have my shopping list ready.