Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Pirelli Scorpion Rally Racing

TenereTragic700

I see that Pirelli are now offering the Rally Racing in 150 section rear.

image.png.4c7f724106dee7def13b7f7a102ff639.png

SCORPION™ Rally - Motorcycle tire | Pirelli

The above link has both the OEM fitted Pirelli (they call it Adventure Touring) and the Rally Racing.  You need to select the Rally Racing button.

Anyone have actual experience with the Rally Racing on the T700.  I have been running Motoz (Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T 150/70-18) since I wore out the OEMs - on my third set now. 

I follow rideadv.com.au who run a tour company in Australia and their youtube videos are very informative.  They have 300,000 kms on their fleet of T700s and he reviews lots of products - and is very willing to say what works and what does not.  He was positive on the Rally Racing Pirellis.

Looking at other options.

Edited by TenereTragic700
  • Like 1

I saw that on RideADVs YouTube channel. Looking at the tread pattern, I have to wonder about lateral traction because there is no stagger in the blocks. That is quite similar to the STR which gets squirrely in corners off-road.  It sure looks like it would accelerate well, almost like a paddle tire. 

• Moderators
On 1/26/2023 at 9:58 AM, Hollybrook said:

I saw that on RideADVs YouTube channel. Looking at the tread pattern, I have to wonder about lateral traction because there is no stagger in the blocks. That is quite similar to the STR which gets squirrely in corners off-road.  It sure looks like it would accelerate well, almost like a paddle tire. 

I'm wondering the same thing and also thought the rear was very similar to the oem one.  I'd also be interested in how that front tire handles tar snakes and rain grooves on the way to trails.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 5 months later...

Curious if anyone tried out the Rally Racing front tire? 

I'm currently running the Motoz Dual Venture.  Although it is solid off road, I totally get the wiggles on the highway even after putting a couple of thousand miles on it.  Looking for another good off-road front tire that isn't a wiggle-fest on the pavement.  Thanks for any thoughts.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JDMT said:

Curious if anyone tried out the Rally Racing front tire? 

I'm currently running the Motoz Dual Venture.  Although it is solid off road, I totally get the wiggles on the highway even after putting a couple of thousand miles on it.  Looking for another good off-road front tire that isn't a wiggle-fest on the pavement.  Thanks for any thoughts.

This thread might be of interest.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I currently have the Dual Venture as my front tire.  I've not had any wobble issues with it on the highway, even when passing at higher speeds. 

I do have upgraded suspension and a Scott's off-road steering stabilizer which might help.  The one thing I have noticed is that I cannot keep the bike straight when I take my hands off the bars like I can with other tires.  This concerned me along with reports of instability. I tried tried a couple of times to set up a front end wobble but it seems pretty stable to me. 

I had the MotoZ Rallz front tire.  It was horrible at anything over 65 mph.  The faster I rode over 65 the worst.  I am running the Anakee Wild on the front now.  Over 80 it starts to wonder around a little.

I believe the Penske shock and the Ktech cartridges, ALL with the correct springs have had something to do with the better handling as well.