Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain and sprocket time

S.Ga.Rider

Im going to replace my chain and sprockets shortly and was wondering which chain you were getting good life from? My bike is currently at 15k miles on the oem parts. I will change it next month due to a 3-4k mile trip in march.

I just spoke to a friend that is a powersport rep.  I ask him "What is the best chain that money can buy for a T7?"

He said the "EK 3d" chain was the best chain on the market.  

I found this as well.

" ThreeD chain manufactured by EK, is by far the most technically advanced chain available today. This chain is great for all 600cc to 1200cc street and race applications.- EK ThreeD 525Z Series chain is rated for street applications up to 1200cc's.- Average tensile strength is over 10,000 ft/lbs.- Available in GOLD, CHROME or an awesome BLACK finish with GOLD inner links and pins.- Includes one matching hollow-tipped RIVET style master link. A chain rivet tool is required for proper installation.ThreeD Chain (3D) - 525 Z series QX2 X'Ring ChainEK ThreeD (3D) Premium Motorcycle Chain is manufactured highly stiff for better acceleration and efficient engine performance. QX2 ring enables more reduced friction and 30% better wear resistance than QX ring. Chromium-Carbide pin surface coating increases hardness and reduces chain wear. Each inner side plate and pin has drilled holes for less weight while still maintaining high strength and durability. Special three-dimensional plate shape strengthens the chain without making it heavy.This unique link design removes dirt while also dissipating heat from the chain. EK ThreeD 525 Z Series chain is rated for street applications up to 1200cc's. "

• Like 1

I use DID chains almost exclusively but DID, RK or EK are all good brands and I would bet perform roughly the same when used in proper application and maintained well enough. Sprocket center is my go-to-spot for chains and good prices on combos. Super knowledgeable and helpful for any questions with changes in sizing of sprockets or chains. If you can't decide, shoot them a call...Ive never been disappointed with their recommendations. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I got a did vx3 gold chain and now looking for a 46t black rear sprocket. Sprocket center has superlite but I wasnt wanting that brand. Anyone know of another brand? I, having a hard time finding one.

8 minutes ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

I got a did vx3 gold chain and now looking for a 46t black rear sprocket. Sprocket center has superlite but I wasnt wanting that brand. Anyone know of another brand? I, having a hard time finding one.

Have you had any issue with the Superlite RSX sprockets? I've been using their rear sprockets for a while now and been happy with them. Much better than the stuff from Supersprox. I tried Supersprox twice (didn't learn the first time...). 

3 minutes ago, Windblown said:

Have you had any issue with the Superlite RSX sprockets? I've been using their rear sprockets for a while now and been happy with them. Much better than the stuff from Supersprox. I tried Supersprox twice (didn't learn the first time...). 

I haven't. Just googled some reviews. I can give one a try. 

9 minutes ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

I haven't. Just googled some reviews. I can give one a try. 

I've never run one of their front sprockets no complaints with the rears.  I had an issue with two Supersprox rear that were not concentric.  Thought I had a bad chain at first. Talked to the folks at Sprocket Center and the tech strongly suggested I forget about Supersprox as they were having far too many returned with defects.  He suggested the Superlite RSV instead and they've worked well so far.  

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

Ordered this to go with the new chain: 

Shop for Drive, like Primary Drive Rear Steel Sprocket at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer excellent customer service.

• 1 month later...

Do I really need a "heavy duty" chain?

Finding it hard to choose a chain tbh, there are kits available, no mention of heavy duty etc.

I'm thinking this.

Screenshot_20230330-235542.png

I mostly go for a DID (XY, XW or whatever rings) chain with JK sprockets.

They come as a kit and where i bought mine i also could choose sprocket sizes which was nice because i use a 45 rear instead of the standard 46.

• Like 1