Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New bike setup

IAbeem

Just joined as my 23 t7 will be delivered in a couple weeks. Trying to get it set up for March Moto Madness quick so wanted to ask what parts you guys recommend. Already started pouring over all the information here, like the 21 different skid plates as that will be one of the first things added. I'm thinking of just doing a top rack like the Perunmoto without pannier rack and running Tusk or Mosko reckless bags. I think this will work well with a high mount exhaust like the Dominator MX2. Doing skid plate right away but probably not crash bars. Not planing on suspension right away, will see how well it works for me at 175lbs first. I hear a cockpit stabilizer is also helpful for this bike.

What do you guys recommend for top rack, soft bags, skid plate, stabilizer, light bars, tail tidy, or anything I should be looking at. Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by IAbeem
  • Like 1

Welcome.
You ask a lot of questions but it can be very helpful if you tell how you're planning to use the bike. If you stay on the road like some of us some items are more for the looks than function and the OEM bashplate will be more than sufficient.
Be also prepared for not getting the answer as you said you already went over the options here. I can tell you those solutions will echo here.
I always say go ride the bike and find out what YOU need and doing stuff quick will end up in buying the wrong stuff.
Anti wobbly for the dash is good and for that you can go to @Camel ADV along with other items, his products are used by himself and tested beyond where 99% of us will go.
For extra lights i choose for a LED bar underneath the tripple clamp because i already have fixed lights on the bike from factory and i wanted more light but also wanted to be able to point it. On my regular route home i also go offroad in winter and darkness but on a trip i try not to but there are reasons you might end up in the dark and then i want to see left and right for the best line and that won't happen if you mount lights on a bar like most of us. This is my solution (but this won't work with connected crashbars, i have the Heavy Duty Enduro).
IMG_20220215_221254.jpg.3ec007f78039c38d8df70aaae629d14f.jpgIMG_20220215_215939.jpg.a5e392f3f155e6b15bfbb79fde8c1e91.jpg

Good luck with the search.
The OEM skidplate is not the best but good enough for the time to find out what you need.

• Like 4

Ray's answer largely covers it. The T7 doesn't really *need* anything, at least not until you've decided specifically what sort of riding you're going to do.

If you're going to ride in ways where crashing is likely, you'll probably want to replace the stock exhaust with an onboard high mount exhaust.  On a right side drop it'll bend in, and can damage the hanger (which is welded to the frame) and the swingarm.

There's tons of options, and which you go for is determined largely by budget and aesthetics.  Huzar, CamelADV, HP Corse, Black Widow, etc, ranging from $250 for the Huzar... Well, up.  As exhaust systems can do.  Pros and cons to each as well, vest to just do exhaust specific research if you're going that route.

If you're tall, lots of us go for lowered foot pegs because the T7, while not a small bike, can feel a bit cramped and the seated to standing transition can be tough on aging knees otherwise.  YMMV.  

The stock seat is... Not good.  Seat Comforts has a range of different options, all of which are significantly more comfortable.  However, I'd ride the stock bike a lot first to learn if you want a taller or shorter seat, and if the stock seat is even a problem for you.

There's tons of crash bar and rack options.  My only advice here really is avoid the OEM crash bars.  They aren't terrible, but they're arguably the worst of the options (I have them on mine, and contemplate switching them for Heed Bunker Bars all the time).

If you don't like the mushy, weak rear brake feel, Camel ADV has a product that fixes that right up.  Thread on the forum about it, and you can see the lever on their online store.

As far as I can tell, racks and luggage are all very much up in the open, get whatever you like, they're basically all fine.

However, one thing to keep in mind: plan out what rear mount accessories you want (I'm looking at you, CamelADV Auxiliary Tank) and ensure they're all compatible with each other.  There's only really one place for rear mounted hardware to attach under the tail, so you need racks/tail tidy/aux tanks/exhaust to all work together.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, IAbeem said:

set up for March Moto Madness 

If it is this event it's clear very fast what kind of rides IAbeem is going to get with his new toy …

Edited by TéNéRéLOADED

1 minute ago, TéNéRéLOADED said:

If it is this event it's clear very fast what kind of rides @IAbeem is going to get with his new toy …

I'm willing to help others with answers where possible, i'm not willing to put time and afford in researching what will fit them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TéNéRéLOADED said:

If it is this event it's clear very fast what kind of rides IAbeem is going to get with his new toy …

Yes, that is the event the op was talking about.  

11 hours ago, IAbeem said:

Just joined as my 23 t7 will be delivered in a couple weeks. Trying to get it set up for March Moto Madness quick so wanted to ask what parts you guys recommend. 

Replied to your question on the other forum.   Get the bike, cover the basics for now - Skid plate, handguards, tires. Toss whatever you have on the bike to get there and back - A big ass Walmart dry bag would work fine unless you are planning on being loaded up while attacking the trails at MMM (NOT recommended) 😉

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I'm willing to help others with answers where possible, i'm not willing to put time and afford in researching what will fit them.

I supose that means you wont be coming over to my house to install some newly purchased parts on my bike either then?

• Haha 2

I think this should be a sticky somewhere.  Everyone new to join the forum ends up asking this same question.  This thread answers them..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DT675 said:

I think this should be a sticky somewhere.  Everyone new to join the forum ends up asking this same question.  This thread answers them..

Done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Appreciate all the input. I guess that's the thread I was looking for. I know the bike is capable and I shouldn't really need to do much but wanted to make sure it's ready for MMM. This will mainly be my offroad, dirt road, gravel bike. Just trying to see what you guys prefered first hand before buying junk.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 1:02 PM, AZJW said:

Done.

Excellent!  Now I'll be able to find it quicker the next time this gets asked!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 1:08 AM, myten said:

For the tail tidy checkout 007plate.com

Their gadget is a tail tidy and a license plate flipper all in one.  It also carbon fiber so it looks very nice.

Yeeeeeeeeah.

I mean, to each their own, but one thing I've learned over the years is that stuff like this is going to cause you much more serious problems than just getting a photo radar ticket.  And while I don't have to deal with tolls (it's just not a thing anywhere I've been) I'd be curious where the crossover of value at toll evasion vs. price of device vs. danger of a pissed off cop finding other things to ticket you for is.  

On 2/5/2023 at 9:03 PM, IAbeem said:

Appreciate all the input. I guess that's the thread I was looking for. I know the bike is capable and I shouldn't really need to do much but wanted to make sure it's ready for MMM. This will mainly be my offroad, dirt road, gravel bike. Just trying to see what you guys prefered first hand before buying junk.

Chain Guide!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The bike just came in at my brothers local dealer and he picked it up for me. I'll fly down on a Tuesday before MMM so I'll have a couple days to put the stuff on and shakedown. After the rally I'll be riding it 800 miles home.

From Camel I ordered The Fix brake pedal, 1 finger clutch kit, signals, stand spring

From RMATV  Tusk crash bars, top rack, tank bag, and excursion rackless luggage

From Ebay USA  chain guide, tail tidy, windshield bracket, oil filter

Motoz adv rear and dual venture front tires

• Like 1