Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2,5 or 3" rims?

Ray Ride4life
Go to solution Solved by Rich TT,

I'm planning on buying a new rim and spokes for use of a 140 tyre.
Problem is that the Excel 3" is not available in blue and i don't want to spent money on a front rim until it's broken and design wise everything is done around the blue rims so i don't want a different colour.
What is the real difference in that halve inch. They're both for a 140 tyre and because i cannot avoid the pavement to much but performance wise i tend to go to the offroad side.
With the Bosnia Rally booked it's time for the conversion.
Are there other brands in de likes of Excel that have a 3"for the T in blue or is the 2,5" just fine?

• Solution
13 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I'm planning on buying a new rim and spokes for use of a 140 tyre.
Problem is that the Excel 3" is not available in blue and i don't want to spent money on a front rim until it's broken and design wise everything is done around the blue rims so i don't want a different colour.
What is the real difference in that halve inch. They're both for a 140 tyre and because i cannot avoid the pavement to much but performance wise i tend to go to the offroad side.
With the Bosnia Rally booked it's time for the conversion.
Are there other brands in de likes of Excel that have a 3"for the T in blue or is the 2,5" just fine?

Hi Ray,

I run a 2.5 inch rear in Excel and it's brilliant off road. I have the same size Excel front rim as the standard for information and this allows me to swap both wheels to the standard ones for proper road riding in about 10 to 15 mins (two sets of wheels). The 2.5 is much more similar to what enduro bikes use and allows a 140 tyre to run it's correct shape on the rim. I don't buy putting a 140 on the stock rim. The shape is all wrong and stretched and it can debead. With the 2.5, you can really feel the difference of it tracking and digging in versus the standard rear rim which kind of floats and feels a big vague and drags its arse a bit. I ran Kenda big blocks on them which would be fine on harder pack, rocks, sand etc but I didn't like them in the UK mud. Just not aggressive enough, especially the front.  So I went for some Michelin Trackers, exactly the same sizes that I run on my KTM 250 EXC TPI. The weight rating is fine on these by the way.  I'm not bothered about tyre wear, just grip. The KTM actually runs a 2.15 rear, so even narrower. It does feel different with this 2.5 set up handling wise for sure versus standard T7 wheels. It feels much lazier to steer on the road strangely, but you get used to it. I run 25PSI as it's still a big heavy bike versus the KTM. Off road it feels brilliant. With regards to the 3 inch, I can't really comment other than it will make the 140 tyre run slightly flatter and not the ideal profile. But the 2.5 is not lacking in anyway in my mind. I've had it up to 80MPH on the trackers with no problem at all on the road.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20221026_163519.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2

Thanks, i'm too on and of to have use for 2 sets with different tyres si i will spare myself that price difference.

For €315 i can have a 2.5" x 18 rim incl. spokes and nipples for the T7 rear, i'll go order that tonight.

Wanted to wait for when the OEM would get damaged but now i entered the Bosnia Rally i want it done. I can order Anlas tyres and the 150 is only 1 option which is not an enduro and the 140 i have 2 different enduro options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Thanks, i'm too on and of to have use for 2 sets with different tyres si i will spare myself that price difference.

For €315 i can have a 2.5" x 18 rim incl. spokes and nipples for the T7 rear, i'll go order that tonight.

Wanted to wait for when the OEM would get damaged but now i entered the Bosnia Rally i want it done. I can order Anlas tyres and the 150 is only 1 option which is not an enduro and the 140 i have 2 different enduro options.

Sounds perfect and a great price too. Pics of the tyres and room would be great once you sort it out. Plus a review of what you think.

Rich

Was even less, €295 because it was set to blue nipples but it's plain stupid to pay €20 for just a colour on that part unless you want black spokes.
My front spokes are also (kind of) silver and for the rear i will get stainless so they should stay nice but you still wont see it as my bike is always dirty :classic_rolleyes:
I can order Anlas tyres through the organisation and fitting them is includes in the rally service. With the OEM rim i had no choice, just one tyre in that size and it was not even an Enduro tyre but with the 2,5 i have 2 Enduro options and both cheaper than the one for the 4" rim.
The new rim has to wait for my K60 Ranger to be destroyed and a new tyre is in, have to figure what the next will be but i think i will go for a D908 in the rear and a D606 of Pirelli M21 in the front.
Also have to look into the Anlas tyres to see what the best choice will be.
Normal people would put the bike in a van and go to the rally but i will take a week to ride the bike to the rally, do the 1400km rally and then a week back home.
Life enough left on the Rangers so i have time to make a decision.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 5:21 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

Was even less, €295 because it was set to blue nipples but it's plain stupid to pay €20 for just a colour on that part unless you want black spokes.
My front spokes are also (kind of) silver and for the rear i will get stainless so they should stay nice but you still wont see it as my bike is always dirty :classic_rolleyes:
I can order Anlas tyres through the organisation and fitting them is includes in the rally service. With the OEM rim i had no choice, just one tyre in that size and it was not even an Enduro tyre but with the 2,5 i have 2 Enduro options and both cheaper than the one for the 4" rim.
The new rim has to wait for my K60 Ranger to be destroyed and a new tyre is in, have to figure what the next will be but i think i will go for a D908 in the rear and a D606 of Pirelli M21 in the front.
Also have to look into the Anlas tyres to see what the best choice will be.
Normal people would put the bike in a van and go to the rally but i will take a week to ride the bike to the rally, do the 1400km rally and then a week back home.
Life enough left on the Rangers so i have time to make a decision.

Can I ask you where you got such a great price for the rear wheel? 
I am looking for one as well, but price are crazy! 

Thanks for your answer, but every where I price a 18x2.50 wheel the price is about 7/800 euros for the rim 

where did you order them please? 

I might have miss understood, are getting the tyres for 295 or the rim? 

cheers 

r

Edited by Ruben

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Ruben said:

Can I ask you where you got such a great price for the rear wheel? 
I am looking for one as well, but price are crazy! 

Sadly we lost Ray last July.

I'm adding @Rich TT to this so hopefully he'll have some information for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

FYI, Ray had ordered a rim, spokes and nipples only and as far as I remember wanted to build the wheel by himself. He got it from off-the-road.de

Excel Takasago Signature Felge 2.50x18 Yamaha Tenere 700   Ideale Felgengröße zur Montage von off-road tauglicheren Reifen bei der…

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AZJW said:

Sadly we lost Ray last July.

I'm adding @Rich TT to this so hopefully he'll have some information for you. 

I am so sorry, I did not know about this tragic event, may he rest in peace 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

FYI, Ray had ordered a rim, spokes and nipples only and as far as I remember wanted to build the wheel by himself. He got it from off-the-road.de

Excel Takasago Signature Felge 2.50x18 Yamaha Tenere 700   Ideale Felgengröße zur Montage von off-road tauglicheren Reifen bei der…

Thanks so much 

• Like 1

Vous pouvez trouver une paire de roues 1,85 à l'avant et 2,50 à l'arrière avec des roues VMX, Finlande.

Plug and play (sans disques ni couronne et disques ABS bien sûr)

880€/ pair !!! Moyeu noir, jante noire. Soudures invisibles sur la jante (pas le cas des autres marques). Billet d'aluminium pour moyeux. 

Depuis 4 ans avec les roues OEM. J'en ai marre de rouler avec un pneu 140 sur jante 4,25. Le pneu arrière est définitivement trop plat pour le tout-terrain sérieux et le changement de roue pour un road trip est rapide. Moto 2 en 1.

Bon produit.

20231115_144152.jpg

Edited by ALMAN
  • Thanks 1

I'm waiting for different parts to finish assembling the wheels. (OEM screws, abs wheels,...) planned this week.
OEM discs seem to fit perfectly.
After fitting the Mitas MC23 tires (yes i love these versatile tires) i will give you my feelings on the Belgian trails. 

• Like 1