Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

HDB Handguards with a new twist

Windblown

A short history of how I came to order a set of HDB handguards with a new accessory item first and then I'll dive in to the install itself.

I am a fan of having a GPS mounted low, centered and protected.  Rally Raid makes a one piece top clamp that addresses both issues and I installed one and loved it. It added strength to the handlebar clamp and put the GPS right where I like to have it.  I still had a separate issue though, what to do about mirrors?  I won't run mirrors mounted to the clamps that keep the clutch & brake levers attached to the bars on bikes to be used offroad. I've broken off a clutch perch from hitting a mirror mounted to it and have seen others do the same. It's now a non-starter in my book. But what to run... ?  I love CRG mirrors mounted on Rottie handguard mounts, but they are pricey.  

So my mind wandered to HDB handguards. If only they had a top clamp I could mount my GPS to...  I emailed the folks over at HDB and asked it they had considered making a solid handlebar top mount as an option so that an AMPs mount could be screwed onto it.  I got a fast response saying they had a new add-on mount that was pre-drilled to accept a wide variety of mounts and accessories that they had not yet put up on their website.  They offered to send me a top mount to try since it was a new item and not in their catalog yet if I bought their handguards and would give them some feedback on the top mount.  That sounded like a winner to me and the deal was struck. Note they did not ask me to write about it publicly, but they didn't ask me not to either so... 

On to the install: 

I'm still running the stock bars so got their T700 specific kit for now. I will likely swap to their "Big bolt" set up later when I swap bars.

Here's the kit I got:

HDBkit.jpg.1b287f6cdb8925daa4669aad34d43035.jpg

Basic install was straight forward. Only small snag was the large cone washers they include to attach the ends of the hand guards to the bar end were slightly thicker than the handguard material s and would not let the end clamp tightly to the bar. I fixed that by removing a bit of material off the tip of the cones.  (right side with material removed, left as it came in the box). I'll mention it when I speak to them next.

1101619414_HDBconewashers.jpg.f13536157b8a74590d71b7aaf8885d8b.jpg

The new piece they have come up with bolts on to the existing top clamp rather than replacing it. I guess that makes sense seeing as how HDB is very into making their kit modular.  As you can see there is a wealth of predrilled and tapped holes availible to mount a large variety of accessories. 

1707296511_hdbplate1.jpg.6cbf4b4ab4fd98a24eba6e5d4ff44b3c.jpg

Top plate mounted and Garmin AMPS mount installed.

2001996066_hdbplate2.jpg.4907ccc183a6344f2708e80869d8d4a6.jpg

158147601_HDBdone2.jpg.4c7b4cc314ef70ddccf60550249d7a35.jpg

Finished up.  I like it.  

611421657_HDBdone1.jpg.8fc3feb1af35dd59c6462c2d16b265ac.jpg

For those interested - Below is the Rally Raid top clamp I had been using to hold the GPS. It's very nice, but pricey. If you already have handguards you ike and just want to have a stronger top clamp with an option to mount something in the center of the bars it does the job. 

1673996243_HDSRally2.jpg.2e4a3539421cea5379408511c89fe747.jpg

If any existing HDB handguard owners are interested in being able to mount a GPS or any other accessory down low and centered they might want to drop the folks at HDB an email to see if they have officially released this new top mount.  There really isn't much to say about it. Integrates well and bolts right on. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Interesting.....  I too like my GPS centered and low along with folding mirrors.   The HDB setup has been on my T7 for over 10,000 miles and it's a rock solid set of guards and mirror combo.  I have used a threaded RAM ball to mount mine, but your setup keeps it lower and most likely more protected.  I like it. 👍 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I like what they came up with for sure.   I'm guessing you mounted a ball mount to one of the corners?  That would work I imagine too.  Having it low and solidly mounted is a big plus IMO. I run a similar set up on my KTM using a mount they offer. Tried a bunch of different setups and locations for a GPS over the years and always come back to low and centered as the preferred place to have it. 

• Moderators

Yes, sorry, meant to add a picture to my above post for clarity.   The plus to the RAM mount is adjustability and so far it has stayed put, but that's not always my experience with RAM stuff over rough terrain.  How is your viewing angle? 

20230212_153437.jpg.551b02fc3b26cbf629b8db3c400dcc48.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I too would like to see it have a bit of adjustment, though in reality the angle is good seated, and even better when standing.  On the Rally Raid clamp I was using previously I slipped a few washers between the clamp and the AMPs mount on the upper bolts to increase the angle slightly.  I'm going to run this one flat for now and see if it bothers me any.  

I'm curious about the desire to mount the GPS so low.  My preference is to have it closer to my line of sight when riding seated, so I can keep my eyes on where I want the bike to go. 

Have you ever damaged a GPS on a crash? I've never had one on a bike before.

I'm also curious about how you would compare the HDB mirrors to the CRG/Rottweiler mirrors. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

I'm curious about the desire to mount the GPS so low

I don't understand either. You have to tilt your head very far to see the display.
Mine is above the dashboard unit and is also standing very visible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

I'm curious about the desire to mount the GPS so low.  My preference is to have it closer to my line of sight when riding seated, so I can keep my eyes on where I want the bike to go. 

I'm also curious about how you would compare the HDB mirrors to the CRG/Rottweiler mirrors. 

HDB mirrors are a fraction of the cost and Chad will send free replacement glass, you just cover shipping. You could ask for a couple spares whenever you place your order and he'd probably throw them in.

And yeah, the higher the better. Vibrations on the handlebar are at a much higher frequency than up on the dash, which is generally worse for electronics.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

I made my own plate to mount GPS and used some  spacers and longer bolts to change angle on GPS.

I'm also not a fan of ball mount.

IMG_2051.JPG

8 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I have not damaged a Montana GPS but I've damaged some less robust units.  I first got used to riding with them low on dirt bikes where you don't want anything more then necessary on the ejection path.  That's not as much of an issue on big bike with tall windshields.

Lower = more protected, stouter mounting, better mass centralization, it can still be seen with a quick glance.  If I were running a Rally Race thru unfamiliar terrain and at the same time trying to run maximum speed I'd mount it higher as racers do and deal with the negative aspects but I'm not running roadbook style rally races.  I'm not traveling at maximum pace while simultaneously trying to navigate a course. The split second to glance down at the GPS is no different than a split second used to glance in your rearview, eyeball a deer near the edge of the road, check out the scenery for a moment, etc.  

7 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I don't understand either. You have to tilt your head very far to see the display.
Mine is above the dashboard unit and is also standing very visible.

I dunno about you but my head and my eyeballs are constantly shifting as I ride. 😉

7 hours ago, random1781 said:

HDB mirrors are a fraction of the cost and Chad will send free replacement glass, you just cover shipping. You could ask for a couple spares whenever you place your order and he'd probably throw them in.

And yeah, the higher the better. Vibrations on the handlebar are at a much higher frequency than up on the dash, which is generally worse for electronics.

Vibes trash electronics not built to deal with them.  There is a reason I have run the Montana series GPS since they first came out.  I have an open challenge to anyone to take their tablet or phone and chuck it as far as I'll chuck my Montana down the street and count on it to still be functional.   😉

We each find ways that work for us. My way is not the best way, just my way. 🙂

I have decent route finding abilities yet my GPS is likely the single most important piece of equipment I have with me besides my brain when I am far from home on an unfamiliar track in the middle of nowhere.  I have seen smashed windscreens and torn up dashes.  I want that GPS functional even if the bike is no longer rideable. It's that important when miles from civilization by yourself. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 10:47 PM, Hollybrook said:

Now that I've had a chance to ride with them on and off road - I'm liking the HDB mirrors more than I thought I would. They hold position well and don't vibrate. They are small but convex (perhaps a bit moreso than CRG) so you get wide view. Hit the ground with them and nothing broke, so far so good. 😉

20230215_140402.jpg.7d6d8b013deb4f1dd5d1c4834bd3e3b2.jpg

• Like 4